Why become a member? ×

What amp?

obertan

Alright,

I've only been playing bass seriously for around 9months or so, and my band have started gigging small to medium sized pubs, supporting ofc. At practice I'm just plugging straight into the PA, but we've got our first headline show so I'm in need of an amp.

To be honest, I don't have much of a clue about anything to do with amps, and what I should be looking for. The kind of music we're playing is indie / rock, so it's not really that bass intensive.

I'm playing a Squier Modified Vintage P bass aswell, if that helps.

So if anyone could help me by letting me know what I should be looking for in a decent amp, and whether I should get a combo, or a cheap head & cab? It would be much appreciated.

Cheers
-O
:)

What's your budget? What do your guitarists use? Any other instruments in the band? What kind of bass players have sounds that you like?

There's a Hartke HA2500 for £100 and a Hartke 410 for £90 in the for sale right now. And that was only 2 mins of searching.

[quote name='Jack' post='1374871' date='Sep 15 2011, 08:56 PM']What's your budget? What do your guitarists use? Any other instruments in the band? What kind of bass players have sounds that you like?

There's a Hartke HA2500 for £100 and a Hartke 410 for £90 in the for sale right now. And that was only 2 mins of searching.[/quote]
+1 to the earlier points about seperates giving you more options, and the above is good gear for not much money at all.

That would be £190 for a head and 410 with a couple hundred watts. Cant go wrong IMO.

Hartke is pretty blegh soundwise but they'll forever be one of my favourite manufacturers because if you have a problem you can call Larry Hartke himself. I have a Gallien Krueger for the same reason, Bob Gallien is a nice man and eager to sort out any problems.

Definitely look around used, a gigging rig for under £500 is sooooo easy to come buy it's ridiculous.

Thanks for such swift responses!

Our 2 guitarists both use VOX VT120's, I think, and we've got quite a loud drummer. Being a student I haven't got a very large budget, so I'm looking at as cheap as I can get, without it sounding too bad.

£190 sounds great, I'll take a look into the used section now!

[quote name='Jack' post='1374976' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:37 PM']That would be £190 for a head and 410 with a couple hundred watts. Cant go wrong IMO.

Hartke is pretty blegh soundwise but they'll forever be one of my favourite manufacturers because if you have a problem you can call Larry Hartke himself. I have a Gallien Krueger for the same reason, Bob Gallien is a nice man and eager to sort out any problems.

Definitely look around used, a gigging rig for under £500 is sooooo easy to come buy it's ridiculous.[/quote]That Hartke sounds like a good deal, I wouldn't go combo route either (as stated above) but there are some good ones out there ... what's your band called btw ?

Edited by sifi2112