Why become a member? ×

Tap Tempo delay pedal

skidder652003

My fave that I've used (on guitar, not tried it with bass) is the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy. Can get them for £130ish new, but might be nearer to your budget if you can find a used one. Great sound, tons of options - I think I barely scratched the surface when I had a go.

If you want something cheaper, the Marshall Echohead will take an external tap footswitch and I've read some good things about it. Haven't tried one myself though. You'd pick up a used one and have change for the tap pedal with your £70

[quote name='mike257' post='1367971' date='Sep 9 2011, 07:20 PM']...is the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy. Can get them for £130ish new, but might be nearer to your budget if you can find a used one.[/quote]

same goes for the memory man with hazarai - i really like mine and they're a similar price 2nd hand

[quote name='ahpook' post='1367994' date='Sep 9 2011, 07:45 PM']same goes for the memory man with hazarai - i really like mine and they're a similar price 2nd hand[/quote]

Yeah, the other guitarist in my band had one of those - awesome pedal too, didn't get the chance to have a proper play with it. They both do all your basic delay stuff REALLY well, and each ones got its own clever extra features that differenciate it from the other. Haven't played with the Hazarai stuff, but the effects loop on the Dlx MB is loads of fun. Stuck a wah and a couple of dirt boxes in it and went crazy!

The Line 6 Echo Park is the best tap delay that you can pick up for close to that money. But I would go for the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy, personally.

Tap tempo is pretty much essential on bass, which rules out a lot of great-sounding delays. With the ones we've got left, in the 'budget' price range, the EHX box is the one to have IMO.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1368192' date='Sep 10 2011, 12:23 AM']The Line 6 Echo Park is the best tap delay that you can pick up for close to that money. But I would go for the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy, personally.

Tap tempo is pretty much essential on bass, which rules out a lot of great-sounding delays. With the ones we've got left, in the 'budget' price range, the EHX box is the one to have IMO.[/quote]

Well the Line 6 was what I suggested given the budget (see the Ebay link). If "skidder652003" was to raise the budget however, i'd also go for a EH Memory Man, given I own 2 EH vintage pedals myself (not delay pedals though).

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1370089' date='Sep 12 2011, 08:35 AM']thanks guys, lots of great advice! I see the memory boys at £75 new in the states and aboiut £94 here so thats a start. The akai looks awesome and there some on ebay now. theres a line 6 echo park on there for £70, so thats in budget....lots to think about![/quote]

Please bear in mind that if you buy a mains one from the States it will be 110V not 240v. Good luck!

Echo Park definitely. I've seen them come up as cheap as £50 on here in the for sale section. Best Tap Tempo/overall Delay for the price, considering all the modes it has. I never use mine on bass, but it's a keeper. And also, the Akai Headrush is a wicked unit, but it's a waste unless you're looking at using it as a looper. Not very versatile delay wise, but it's very good at what it does do.

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1370089' date='Sep 12 2011, 08:35 AM']thanks guys, lots of great advice! I see the memory boys at £75 new in the states and aboiut £94 here so thats a start. The akai looks awesome and there some on ebay now. theres a line 6 echo park on there for £70, so thats in budget....lots to think about![/quote]

If you're looking at £75 new, you're probably looking at the standard Memory Boy, which doesn't have the tap tempo feature. It's the Deluxe Memory Boy that you want to be hunting down (bigger pedal, more knobs, two footswitches) for your tappity-tap goodness! The cheapest I've found it brand new is about £130 from a couple of ebay shops, be really surprised if you pick it up under a ton for a newie!

• 2 weeks later...

boss dd- series are rubbish, don't like them at all, don't like their idea of delaying sound. waste of money
digitech digidelay... well, cheap BUT ok. I'd save money for something better, but for the beginning - it's ok.
line 6 is not so bad, bypass is decent. i was using it for about 1 year. Good for gigging, would not use in professional studio
I love electro harmonix pedals, have bunch of them, but personally - EH delays are really nice with guitars... and that's it!
there's ONE delay - boss re-20 space echo. I fully recommend this delay, so sweet! bypass is not so good, but who cares?...

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1315748036' post='1369445']
DD-6 is a good choice for this. DD-5 (if you can find one) would be better, especially with an external non latching footswitch.
[/quote]

I really liked my DD5s. I've had two, only selling them when I had a notion to dress like a fisherman and play folk music. Twice that happened. What a dumbass...