Why become a member? ×

Jaco's Fender Jazz found...

s_u_y_*

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='158974' date='Mar 17 2008, 03:02 PM']I bet if you tried to play [i]Portrait of Tracy[/i] on the real Bass of Doom, ghosts would come out of it like in [i]Raiders of the Lost Ark[/i] and royally mess your stuff up.

'It's beautifullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!'[/quote]

Sorry to stop your dreaming mate, but I'm pretty sure PoT was played on his fretted Jazz.

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='159012' date='Mar 17 2008, 04:28 PM']Sorry to stop your dreaming mate, but I'm pretty sure PoT was played on his fretted Jazz.[/quote]

Aye, it was indeed. He also liked getting a bit chopsy with peeps too, later in life so the story goes.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='165850' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:52 PM']Could not give a toss TBH, but if we were talking about the Funk Machine.......................

Dont know where these people get off with the bass of doom being the most famous, amongst bass players maybe.[/quote]
You're probably right in that last sentence, but I'm pretty sure the same would apply to Jamerson, due to the practices of the time he was probably less credited on albums/singles than Jaco. (a crime IMO)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='165850' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:52 PM']Could not give a toss TBH, but if we were talking about the Funk Machine.......................

Dont know where these people get off with the bass of doom being the most famous, amongst bass players maybe.[/quote]

[quote name='jakesbass' post='165855' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:58 PM']You're probably right in that last sentence, but I'm pretty sure the same would apply to Jamerson, due to the practices of the time he was probably less credited on albums/singles than Jaco. (a crime IMO)[/quote]
Until a few years ago I would have been inclined to agree with you, but Standing In The Shadows has been on TV quite a lot recently and a lot more people know about Jamerson. Plus of course lots more people have listened to Jamerson even if they did not know it.

I have found the Top 10 Fender Basses article and put it in the wiki. Dont blame me if you dont agree - I did not write it.

Edited by bass_ferret

I agree without Jaco Playing it's just an old knackered Jazz,

however, If Jaco's bass was auctioned with good provenence then i'm sure it would go for way more than any of John Entwhistle's basses, and some of them went for seiously daft money !

No doubt it would end up in a glass case in Japan !

Stanley's Brown Bass, Miller's 77 Jazz are both just lumps of wood to..... I'm sure there are better examples of Alembics and Fenders, but their connection to the players give them their value and desirability.

Mark