Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1953 Relic

Before you ask, yes, its mine, the only reason its not on the for sale section here, is because i don't know how much to sell for, no idea, and you need a price to post, so its here instead, have a look, and a bid if you fancy it.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION-1953-RELIC-Blonde-Blackguard-beauty-/220847112061?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336b837f7d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION...=item336b837f7d[/url]

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1362468' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:02 AM']Before you ask, yes, its mine, the only reason its not on the for sale section here, is because i don't know how much to sell for, no idea, and you need a price to post, so its here instead, have a look, and a bid if you fancy it.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION-1953-RELIC-Blonde-Blackguard-beauty-/220847112061?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336b837f7d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION...=item336b837f7d[/url][/quote]
Good call opening at that price you should attract quite a few prospective buyers... rather than those who start off high and lose out.

You say you have no way of verifying if it's a SD Antiquity pup. However, SD always put a sticker on the back of their pups to let you know the specific model, just whip it out and you'll know.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1362475' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:14 AM']Good call opening at that price you should attract quite a few prospective buyers... rather than those who start off high and lose out.

You say you have no way of verifying if it's a SD Antiquity pup. However, SD always put a sticker on the back of their pups to let you know the specific model, just whip it out and you'll know.[/quote]

Any sticker was removed, the guy removed all traces of anything like that, so i am unable to verify. I'm sure he's right, and it is, but just want to be as transparent as possible.
I try to be honest, and undersell if neccessary, to avoid any doubt or disappointment. I've bought too many things on eBay, often with poor descriptions, bad photo's, and less than helpful sellers, i try hard not to be like that.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1362588' date='Sep 5 2011, 08:56 AM']Any sticker was removed, the guy removed all traces of anything like that, so i am unable to verify. I'm sure he's right, and it is,....[/quote]
Oh that's a shame. I wonder why he would do that? :) He may have actually devalued it a little now.... unless like basses "relic'ing" a pup adds value too. :)
There is another way to tell though mate, the Antiquity should have a raised A pole, also you should be able to make out if the sleeving on the wires is waxed... it's hard to tell from the angle of your pic also there looks to be a bit of a shine on your black wire - could be wrong though. Also I believe the Antiquity II may have a lighter coloured lower bobbin - which yours clearly doesn't have so that would rule that particular one out.
I have been through just about every one of these type of pups, and for my money if there's no identity sticker, no raised A pole and no waxed sleeving I'd suggest it's the original Fender pup.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1362624' date='Sep 5 2011, 09:43 AM']Oh that's a shame. I wonder why he would do that? :) He may have actually devalued it a little now.... unless like basses "relic'ing" a pup adds value too. :)
There is another way to tell though mate, the Antiquity should have a raised A pole, also you should be able to make out if the sleeving on the wires is waxed... it's hard to tell from the angle of your pic also there looks to be a bit of a shine on your black wire - could be wrong though. Also I believe the Antiquity II may have a lighter coloured lower bobbin - which yours clearly doesn't have so that would rule that particular one out.
I have been through just about every one of these type of pups, and for my money if there's no identity sticker, no raised A pole and no waxed sleeving I'd suggest it's the original Fender pup.[/quote]

I'm going to email the original owner, and ask him, i still have contact.

Watch this space....

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1362620' date='Sep 5 2011, 09:36 AM']I'm watching Rick, I'm watching. :)[/quote]

Didn't you used to have the Crinson??, I've got that now, although its been through my 'upgrade system', I must give you some pics of what it now looks like!

The finish on the Crinson is much better than this one, although that was far more expensive i'd imagine.

Keep watching, lots of interest already!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1362624' date='Sep 5 2011, 09:43 AM']Oh that's a shame. I wonder why he would do that? :) He may have actually devalued it a little now.... unless like basses "relic'ing" a pup adds value too. :)
I have been through just about every one of these type of pups, and for my money if there's no identity sticker, no raised A pole and no waxed sleeving I'd suggest it's the original Fender pup.[/quote]

Right, I have confirmed details on the pickup from the guy who put it in.

It’s a Seymour Duncan Basslines SCPB-2 Single Coil. He said he sanded off the writing on the top, and I now recall that I sanded off some more of it, when it arrived, as some was still slightly visible.

I have two more of these jap basses, including a Sting, and this pickup is far superior to those, so I knew it wasn’t a stock pickup.

Hope this clarifies, here's a brochure pic of the pickup;

[attachment=88765:scpb_2.jpg]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1362657' date='Sep 5 2011, 10:22 AM']Didn't you used to have the Crinson??, I've got that now, although its been through my 'upgrade system', I must give you some pics of what it now looks like!

The finish on the Crinson is much better than this one, although that was far more expensive i'd imagine.[/quote]

That Crinson was one lovely bass - the only relic'd bass that I found convincing both to look at AND to play.

I'm guessing your 1953 Relic is of a similar standard.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1362749' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:12 PM']Right, I have confirmed details on the pickup from the guy who put it in.

It’s a Seymour Duncan Basslines SCPB-2 Single Coil. He said he sanded off the writing on the top, and I now recall that I sanded off some more of it, when it arrived, as some was still slightly visible.

I have two more of these jap basses, including a Sting, and this pickup is far superior to those, so I knew it wasn’t a stock pickup.

Hope this clarifies, here's a brochure pic of the pickup;

[attachment=88765:scpb_2.jpg][/quote]
That makes more sense. :)

As I say I've put most of these pups through their paces. I personally though the Jap pup was favourable when put up against the SD's 1 and 2.
Having said that I did choose an SCPB-[b]3[/b] in one of my homemade basses though.... and of course the king of all single coil P's in my Shuker... the Lollar. :)

Continued good luck with the sale.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1362468' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:02 AM']Before you ask, yes, its mine, the only reason its not on the for sale section here, is because i don't know how much to sell for, no idea, and you need a price to post, so its here instead, have a look, and a bid if you fancy it.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION-1953-RELIC-Blonde-Blackguard-beauty-/220847112061?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336b837f7d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION...=item336b837f7d[/url][/quote]

I'm watching too, Rick!

Great looking bass - I'm interested.
M.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' post='1374947' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:12 PM']I took delivery of this lovely bass yesterday. Put on some some retro standard gauge La Bella flats on it and - wow, what a beautiful sound. Absolutely essence of P bass! Love it. Thanks again Rick :)[/quote]

Glad you're enjoying the bass, and pleased with your purchase. It is a fab sounding bass, served me well for almost 10 years, sounds like a bass should, with a lovely vibe, especially with flats, nice touch.

A very cool bass guitar! :)

Enjoy!

Rick.