Why become a member? ×

Paulman Custom 5 *SOLD*

Shaggy

This is a very lovely 5 string – the “Rex” model I think. Hand-built in around 2005 by Paul MacNab in Huddersfield, who sadly passed away in July 2010.
I’d call it a lightweight, but can weigh for those interested. Paul had a reputation not only as an outstanding luthier, but also for being extremely choosey about selecting the loveliest tonewoods for his instruments, and this sure shows here. I acquired this in a trade with lozbass with a view to potentially moving from 4 to 5 string, but as the material I’ve been playing hasn’t demanded a 5 plus I’ve been focussing on my flamenco playing (and am just venturing into bluegrass banjo!) this hasn’t had the playing time it deserves. Specs;[list]
[*]1-piece mahogany body with carved quilt maple top (5A grade I reckon), clear amber finish
[*]34” scale bolt-on neck; highly flamed maple with rosewood / bubinga / ebony laminations. Oil / wax finish on “playing zone” of neck, varnished headstock & heel. Wenge board (dot markers to side only), 24 frets. Schaller BM tuners.
[*]Twin soapbar pickups (German “Goldo” make), active 9V circuit with bass & treble cut/boost, individual volume controls for each p/up. Pull switch on rear vol control for active / passive operation. (NB' I've actually bought an East U-retro preamp to fit in this, but as yet unfitted. Can negotiate included if interested)
[*]Heavy duty chrome Goldo bridge; allows individual string spacing lateral adjustment.
[/list]
These were around £1200 new at the time, and this is a rare example in outstanding condition.
Price drop to £425 for a quick sale (in Tobias soft case) for one week only (to Sat 24th Nov) after which it will definitely be withdrawn - plus shipping, or collection from Swansea area - no trades, sorry. I'll be at M4 Reading services on Sun 25th Nov if that's easier for anyone interested to collect
Cheers, Greg

Edited by Shaggy

Hey Greg. Paul used to do all my set-ups for me (guitars). His work was outstanding. My friend had a Paulman Telecaster which was a lovely guitar. Your bass is a steal at £400 but like username "adledman" I also don't play 5 string basses (at the moment).
Best of luck with your sale.
Tony.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

Got Paul to build me a jazz a few years ago & can vouch for the quality .. always loved going to his workshop & seeing his craft .. would snap this up if I didn't already have Dingwall 5ers .. certainly miss the grumpy old git :)

Si

• 1 year later...

Bump - price drop to £425 for one week only (to Sat 24th Nov) after which bass will definitely be withdrawn

I'll be at M4 Reading services on Sun 25th Nov if that's easier for anyone interested to collect

In terms of luthiery and tonewoods this is easily the equal of a Wal Mk 2 which it resembles (I own a Wal Custom fretless, so should know) - the electrics aren't, but are decent enough - definite upgrade potential to be a real top-end grade bass

• 1 month later...

Today I bring this wonderful bass home in Tula (Russia). Thank you master for this excellent tool. It is a pity that his life and career was over. Hopefully, this bass will stay with me for a long time and will be performed at many concerts in the future

Sorry my English.

Edited by Fridrich

Hey Fridrich, glad it sounds like it's gone to a good home. I'm from the town it was made from and was tempted to get it myself. I'm sure you'll appreciate the craftmanship and also do it justice in your playing :D, Regards from Huddersfield.

Edited by jimbobothy