Why become a member? ×

Playing covers for the first time!

WILD FROG SHOT

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1357332' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:42 AM']So it turns out that my guitarist has signed us up to play a set of covers at his girlfriend's mum's 50th birthday party in about three weeks time. The main problem with this is that we've been a shoegaze/post-rock originals band for the past six years[/quote]

hmm I've been in similar situations and been pressured into doing covers with an originals band. It seems like you're cool with it and giving it your best shot which is the mature sensible way to deal with things.

I did not deal with it in that fashion.

[quote name='lojo' post='1357757' date='Aug 31 2011, 05:33 PM']If the singer cant sing certain song in the right key or one just doesn't work due to instruments at hand, lack of frills, strings or bvs on record etc, dont be scared to alter it or drop it, but make sure they all work[/quote]

Yeah, we had to drop 'Are you gonna be my girl'; it just wasn't right for our singer. We've now replaced it with 'Hard Day's Night' as it is easy to play and probably more recognisable for the audience.

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1357374' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:06 PM']EDIT: On a separate note, does anyone know what is going on with the original version of 'Three little birds'; it sounds like it's between keys :)[/quote]

When everything was done on tape, it was common for producers to speed up or slow down the mixed track to aquire the right feel. A small change in bpm would make the song sharp when speeded up or flat when slowed, though not enough to completely change key. Or it could have been microtuning to be in key with an ethnic instrument not tuned to 440 Hz.

So it turns out that for a first attempt it all well pretty well afterall!

Played through the first five songs on the list as our keyboard player (he used to be a drummer) is playing drums on those ones, then we're meeting up next week with a friend who is going to play drums on the rest of the tracks, allowing our keyboard player to return to his rightful place to add the funk to Superstition and Sex Machine among others.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1357782' date='Aug 31 2011, 05:53 PM']Usual fair for these situations will be your the only one thats listened to the tracks never mind learnt them, I wont be surprised if you come back and tell us you were the only one who had a clue :)[/quote]

Well, guitarist and vocalist weren't too badly prepared considering they've been on holiday for the last week, and the keyboard player practiced drums on a pizza box on the drive to rehearsal :). I was definitely the most clued up about the tracks, after about half an hour, our singer actually said "Thank god you've put the work in, you're really holding us together".

[quote name='notable9' post='1357791' date='Aug 31 2011, 06:04 PM']Root, root and root,..if all else fails know where your root notes are at all times and make sure you know where the key changes are.
Dont worry about making it sound clever just keep it simple and solid. Though any recognisable bass runs may need to be mastered from the get go....audiences are'nt that sophisticated but they will notice if something major is missing.

Some nice stuff on the list. Impossible to go through them all but for eg if your trying to play Billie Jean like the record be sure to keep that repetative line even tempoed and precise, the band will love you for it.[/quote]

Yeah, simple and solid is what i'm going for. Tracks like Billie Jean and Twist and Shout are really helping me build my stamina back up as I haven't been playing bass as much as I used to.

[quote name='Commando Jack' post='1358473' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:44 AM']When everything was done on tape, it was common for producers to speed up or slow down the mixed track to aquire the right feel. A small change in bpm would make the song sharp when speeded up or flat when slowed, though not enough to completely change key. Or it could have been microtuning to be in key with an ethnic instrument not tuned to 440 Hz.[/quote]

Thank you! That does make sense. It's a right PITA trying to play along to it though; at one point I was considering trying to tune down a quarter tone, but that's just getting ridiculous.

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1358482' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:49 AM']Thank you! That does make sense. It's a right PITA trying to play along to it though; at one point I was considering trying to tune down a quarter tone, but that's just getting ridiculous.[/quote]

I have the same problem the odd time, but if you've got an mp3 of the song you can use [url="http://download.cnet.com/BestPractice/3000-2133_4-10794555.html"]Best Practice[/url], which is a freeware practise utility that lets you change keys and microtune. You should be able to get the track close enough to standard tuning to make it bearable. It's also great when you want to change the key of the song completely, even if it does sound a bit artificial.

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1358474' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:44 AM']So it turns out that for a first attempt it all well pretty well afterall!

Played through the first five songs on the list as our keyboard player (he used to be a drummer) is playing drums on those ones, then we're meeting up next week with a friend who is going to play drums on the rest of the tracks, allowing our keyboard player to return to his rightful place to add the funk to Superstition and Sex Machine among others.

Well, guitarist and vocalist weren't too badly prepared considering they've been on holiday for the last week, and the keyboard player practiced drums on a pizza box on the drive to rehearsal :). I was definitely the most clued up about the tracks, after about half an hour, our singer actually said "Thank god you've put the work in, you're really holding us together".[/quote]

Newsflash, newsflash - the bass player puts the work in and keeps the band together.

So much for all of us playing "the easy instrument" then :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1358482' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:49 AM']Thank you! That does make sense. It's a right PITA trying to play along to it though; at one point I was considering trying to tune down a quarter tone, but that's just getting ridiculous.[/quote]

Give this a try ....

[url="http://download.cnet.com/Amazing-Slow-Downer-for-Windows/3000-2139_4-10076514.html"]http://download.cnet.com/Amazing-Slow-Down...4-10076514.html[/url]

fantastic proggy - allowes you to vary pitch and tempo independently and to set a loop point. I think you can also save the pitch/tempo altered version.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1357601' date='Aug 31 2011, 02:55 PM']Be careful ... parties produce drunks, and drunks have very little sense of humour.

Some guys I know were playing a pub in Kingston last year (I was there for their gig) when a drunk in the audience started calling for [i]Smoke On The Water[/i]. It wasn't in their set, and they had no intention of playing it, but they all knew the riff (strangely enough) so they played a couple of bars for a joke, then stopped and went on with their set.

The drunk wasn't happy and called for it again after the next song, and the next. So they played a few bars, just for a laugh. Only the drunk wasn't laughing.

It ended with the vocalist nose-to-nose with the drunk for a real face-off, and the situation suddenly defused and went away, but it could just as easily have ended with a glassing.[/quote]

Long ago in a previous incarnation of our band, someone called out "do you know Smoke on the Water?". We certainly did, in all its glory, we'd just left it out because it didn't seem like the sort of thing that would go down well in that particular pub. So we played it and it was only later, thinking about the stoney silence that greeted it, that I realised he was taking the piss.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1358519' date='Sep 1 2011, 10:18 AM']Newsflash, newsflash - the bass player puts the work in and keeps the band together.

So much for all of us playing "the easy instrument" then :)[/quote]

Seems the following is true

If a singer misses a phrase, or breathes in the wrong place, or a guitarist drops out for a bar, it's all part of the live experience, but the bass must remain consistent for that performance to work

We really need to know or structures, or at least have prompts that won't fail

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1358519' date='Sep 1 2011, 10:18 AM']Newsflash, newsflash - the bass player puts the work in and keeps the band together.

So much for all of us playing "the easy instrument" then :)[/quote]

I had a hunch from the op that he would be the most prepared, fair play to the others though it sounds like they had done some homework at least.

Bass players are the best as we know :)

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1357597' date='Aug 31 2011, 02:51 PM']We've been toying with the idea of playing the first few bars of Stairway every three songs but never actually playing it. :)[/quote]

DO NOT do this. Although you're not actually showcasing your band and may have no plan of playing covers again there may be other people there who are looking for a band and you never know what will come of it. Playing unprofessionally will make them less inclined to come and see you again even in your originals band. BAD IDEA. The guitarist's girlfriend's mum won't be impressed either, it's her 50th party, it's not an opportunity for you to goon around.

Don't be tempted to try to get the keyboard sound. Unless you sample the original it will sound like a weak attempt. Stick to strings, piano, Hammond and Rhodes sounds. Even if you have a sound that sounds 'close' to the original, try it with one of the other 4. You'll be surprised and it will help to give the songs a personalised sound. I've heard far too many holiday camp/cruise ship type cover bands sound pathetic trying to get keyboard sounds "right" and get it completely wrong.

Edited by TimR

Sounds like you guys are going the right way about it - I did this with some ex-bandmates a while ago for a friend of the family, ended up with a few more bookings and we're almost a 'proper' function band (not like the proper proper ones some of you guys are in).

Carry on as you are, and just enjoy it! It's really good fun, and when you blast out Superstition and Billie Jean to a full and bouncing dancefloor it's a great feeling! Can't wait to hear how it goes :)

Right, got an update from our second rehearsal last night.

Nailed the Billie Jean bassline, but it looks like neither our singer or keyboardist (who usually does harmonies and BVs) can really sing it properly. The guitarist and I have convinced them to give it another go next week when the full lineup will be able to rehearse as the actual music was fine.

We've definitely decided to drop Valerie as it just didn't suit our singer at all. It's being replaced by Parklife which should be fun. I don't get to do the mockney spiel though :)

Was dreading playing Sex Machine, but it turns out that it actually sounds OK and should be pretty good after a couple more runs through.

Thanks for the advice on the keyboards TimR; our chap is quite a traditional (piano, hammond, rhodes) rather than synth player, so we should OK on that front.

Still got to decide on how we should dress for the gig. At one point we were thinking of each of us dressing as one of the song's artists i.e. Michael Jackson on Vocals, Jimi on Guitar, Stevie on Keys, McCartney on Bass, but i'm not really sure on the etiquette of 'blacking-up' these days :)