Why become a member? ×

Interesting Quote

Pete Academy

From a 2010 interview, he's obviously pissed off with being asked this question many times before:

"How did it feel taking over for Jaco in Weather Report?"

"It felt great! I don't know anything about 'taking over' for anybody. I am [u]the[/u] bass player of Weather Report. Period. I never thought of myself as being [u]after[/u] anybody. If you ever meet our drummer, Omar Hakim, ask him. He will tell you we didn't give a f*** about anybody who was in that band or anybody that came before us. My favourite bass player of all time is [u]me[/u]. The best band Weather Report ever had, and the best records they ever made, are the ones with me playing. So, I'm not quite sure what to say when I'm asked about 'taking over', as if I gave a f*** about Jaco. I was [u]the [/u] man out of all the bassists 'WR' ever had, so how else could that feel but good?"

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1356733' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:43 PM']I can understand where he's coming from, but Jaco, his playing and personality, was a massive part of WR.[/quote]

Agreed! :)
This is that VB track you mean right? [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mOrOyYLIQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mOrOyYLIQ[/url]

I like Victor Bailey,but I think he talks some sh*t....always has.
He obviously cared about Jaco a lot-you can hear it in his playing. As far as him being on
the best Weather Report albums,I think he's confusing himself with Alphonso Johnson. Although to
be fair,the tune 'D Flat Waltz' from 'Domino Theory' is killer and up there with Weather Report's
best.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1356790' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:23 PM']I like Victor Bailey,but I think he talks some sh*t....always has.
He obviously cared about Jaco a lot-you can hear it in his playing. As far as him being on
the best Weather Report albums,I think he's confusing himself with Alphonso Johnson. Although to
be fair,the tune 'D Flat Waltz' from 'Domino Theory' is killer and up there with Weather Report's
best.[/quote]

+1
Alphonso was the man. In fact, he still is.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1356743' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:46 PM']Haha man sounds pissed, to be fair being the best bass player in the WR is like being voted the prettiest person in the burns ward.[/quote]
:)
verging on being put in the quotes thread.

• 2 weeks later...