Why become a member? ×

which pedal based looper is the best?

0175westwood29

im looking into getting a looper so i can play over my own parts live as in a new song my band are doing at the minute the intro starts with building up about three bass parts!

im looking at either the boss rc-2 or the rc-20xl basically is the two pedal version better than the single?

also do you guys send the looped signal to a diferent amp, or to the pa? kinda want to limit the amount of punishment handed to my cab and head.

andy

[quote name='Doddy' post='1351715' date='Aug 25 2011, 08:22 PM']I use the twin pedal RC20 XL.I find it a lot easier to use than the single pedal version.
I also run it through my rig like I would with any other pedal.[/quote]

cool, i know the double pedal has a fade out option which is pretty good.

kk gonna have to start looking on the bay and here for one then me thinks.

andy

I've just downgraded from the rather cool Digitech Stereo JamMan. I wanted a single pedal that I could chuck in my gig bag instead and have just bought the Boss RC3. I'd say that the JamMan, having more buttons and functionality would make it better for live annnnnnd you can connect further footswitches to the pedal for it's other operations. I think if I were to use the rc3 for live looping too, I'd grab the 2 pedal footswitch to cut down on on stage tap dancing.

For other loopers, take a look at Electroharmonix, Akai, Eventide and for the daddy of loopers, Looperlative.

I have had both the Boss RC 20XL, and the Digitech JamMan both have an interesting feature the sets them apart, what I like about the Boss is that it "quantizes" your mistakes whereas the JamMan doesn't however the JamMan has a USB port and removable memory card which you can export your recordings to pc which the Boss hasn't, the JamMan I still have and sold the Boss, all I have to do is be more accurate instead of quantizing.

[quote name='dood' post='1355718' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:30 PM']I've just downgraded from the rather cool Digitech Stereo JamMan. I wanted a single pedal that I could chuck in my gig bag instead and have just bought the Boss RC3. I'd say that the JamMan, having more buttons and functionality would make it better for live annnnnnd you can connect further footswitches to the pedal for it's other operations. I think if I were to use the rc3 for live looping too, I'd grab the 2 pedal footswitch to cut down on on stage tap dancing.

For other loopers, take a look at Electroharmonix, Akai, Eventide and for the daddy of loopers, Looperlative.[/quote]

Mmmm the eventide is interesting but id rather get a pitchfactor from them, the electroharmonix is a bit big for my liking the akai's pretty cool but im leaning towards the old school and probs boring boss atm! just looks a bit easier to use on the fly, as mainly it will be being used for live use.

im thinking of sending the looped signal to a external source, as the loops i want to make are octave down and overdriven sounds and my normal tone is high gain and a bit dirty so im a little concerned about the abuse that my cab would have to take at live volume, thinking of getting a small di box and sending the looper stuff to the pa.

andy

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='1357827' date='Aug 31 2011, 06:36 PM']Short of the Looperlative, the best looper in my opinion is the Boomerang III. Its a brilliant, compact multitrack looper that is so easy to use its ridiculous![/quote]

is that the rackmounted one that steve lawson uses?

thats a bit much for me, ive been looking at the rc-30xl looks interesting and much better than the rc-20 in that it has more recording time and some interesting effects!

but i do have a question i know it has stereo outs but do you have to use these to use the dual channels? im thinking not but i just wanna check?

andy

A lot depends on what features you need, if you've already got music in mind... If you're going to be doing long loops, then that knocks out the Akai Headrush and Line6 DL4, even though they are both very 'musical' pedals to use. I love using the DL4, especially with an expression pedal hooked up as well (can then do fades, and/or bring in and out delay over the loop).

For the longer loop time pedals, Boss and Digitech have both recently revamped their lines, so I've not had a chance to try them out yet - the RC20xl was a pretty well designed pedal (though about 1 in 5 times I see someone use it they've accidentally turned on the metronome, and you get an effing loud snare drum instead of the first loop...). The RC50 was 'nearly' great. Too many glitches in the software to be truly magic, and now they've discontinued it. Great things can be done with it though - I guested with beatboxer Shlomo on his show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and he gets some serious mileage from it.

Digitech have a new larger looper with delays in in as well - looks to be half way between the earlier jamman pedal and the DL4. Def. worth a look.

The Looperlative is unbelievable, but a serious investment. Nothing in the hardware world comes close (though there are a few cool software loopers around, if you trust your laptop/OS enough. I don't :) )

There's also the Gibson Echoplex, Electrix Repeater and Lexicon JamMan if you're buying used, but check out the feature set on each of them first...

cheers

Steve
www.stevelawson.net

[quote name='Steve Lawson' post='1361318' date='Sep 3 2011, 09:09 PM']A lot depends on what features you need, if you've already got music in mind... If you're going to be doing long loops, then that knocks out the Akai Headrush and Line6 DL4, even though they are both very 'musical' pedals to use. I love using the DL4, especially with an expression pedal hooked up as well (can then do fades, and/or bring in and out delay over the loop).

For the longer loop time pedals, Boss and Digitech have both recently revamped their lines, so I've not had a chance to try them out yet - the RC20xl was a pretty well designed pedal (though about 1 in 5 times I see someone use it they've accidentally turned on the metronome, and you get an effing loud snare drum instead of the first loop...). The RC50 was 'nearly' great. Too many glitches in the software to be truly magic, and now they've discontinued it. Great things can be done with it though - I guested with beatboxer Shlomo on his show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and he gets some serious mileage from it.

Digitech have a new larger looper with delays in in as well - looks to be half way between the earlier jamman pedal and the DL4. Def. worth a look.

The Looperlative is unbelievable, but a serious investment. Nothing in the hardware world comes close (though there are a few cool software loopers around, if you trust your laptop/OS enough. I don't :) )

There's also the Gibson Echoplex, Electrix Repeater and Lexicon JamMan if you're buying used, but check out the feature set on each of them first...

cheers

Steve
www.stevelawson.net[/quote]

thanks man ill be sure to check them out.

the rc-30 is looking fave at the min, need to give it a try really tho as like you ive seen people turn the drums on!

only need shortish loops but i dnt really need all the delay stuff that comes with the akai and the dl4.

might be time to go to the guitar shop and sit down and try some out!

andy