Why become a member? ×

Phil Lynott

barneyg42

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1325710562' post='1486568']
Phil is alway's sadly missed

I've just finished reading Mark Putterfords book The Rocker about Phil. In it one of Phil's closest friends who ran the fan club say's that just before he died he gave her the content's of his personal box, it could have been these tapes of unreleased songs, or just coincidence.
[/quote]

Good call - I've just started reading this!

A hero, and a poet. My first gig ever was a lunchtime Thin Lizzie show in a theatre when I was twelve (with my mum), and I never got over it :D I met hiom later, when I was a young teenager, and he was such a nice guy.

I was at their farewell gig (another daytime job) in the Dublin mansion house just before they left for England. In the middle of the gig he broke a G string, asked the audience if anyone had one spare, and then sent somebody to the shop.

What a mover on stage :). He calmed down a bit after he went to england, but in the early gigs he was always bringing his left knee up to chin and stalking around the stage, knocking over mike stands. :D

Saw a doco on BBC4 last week (?) and it reminded me that almost no histories of Lizzie seem to remember the huge influence of the wonderful Skid Row and Brush Shields, the main man. Awesome bass player and taught Phil, I think. Anyone remember Skid Row (the original that is) ?

'Black Boys on the Corner?' Just like a Skid Row song. :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1325878825' post='1489379']
A hero, and a poet. My first gig ever was a lunchtime Thin Lizzie show in a theatre when I was twelve (with my mum), and I never got over it :D I met hiom later, when I was a young teenager, and he was such a nice guy.

I was at their farewell gig (another daytime job) in the Dublin mansion house just before they left for England. In the middle of the gig he broke a G string, asked the audience if anyone had one spare, and then sent somebody to the shop.

What a mover on stage :). He calmed down a bit after he went to england, but in the early gigs he was always bringing his left knee up to chin and stalking around the stage, knocking over mike stands. :D

Saw a doco on BBC4 last week (?) and it reminded me that almost no histories of Lizzie seem to remember the huge influence of the wonderful Skid Row and Brush Shields, the main man. Awesome bass player and taught Phil, I think. Anyone remember Skid Row (the original that is) ?

'Black Boys on the Corner?' Just like a Skid Row song. :)
[/quote]

I'm sure I have an original Skid Row album stored up in my loft, Mr Gary Moore on guitar, I think he was only about 16 years old around that time.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1325889104' post='1489595']
I'm sure I have an original Skid Row album stored up in my loft, Mr Gary Moore on guitar, I think he was only about 16 years old around that time.
[/quote]

I'm sure I saw him with Skid Row back then (I was even younger) play a song by himself sitting behind the drumkit and banging out the kick drum. Or did I dream that? :)

They never get the credit they deserve for being Ireland's first real rock band.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1325946112' post='1490191']
They never get the credit they deserve for being Ireland's first real rock band.
[/quote]

I thought that would have been Taste.
Was Skid Row earlier then ?

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1325766368' post='1487232']
I'd love to be in a band that could do Black Rose, awesome track.
[/quote]We played that for years. It got dropped in the end but lasted as a staple in the set at some places for many years. Still get asked for it now, but time & set songs move on

The more I listen to TL, the more I worry about Phil's voice!

What happened to that soulful delivery? It becomes a bit a rasp in the last few years.

Was it the drugs....whatever it was, it's a shame how he ended up singing towards the end of the band. It seemed to change overnight...even on 'Killer On The Loose', what a change to a year before.

It could be that Phil's rougher voice on Thunder & Lightning was to match their heavier sound. I remember being quite surprised by Phil's gruff voice (and indeed their heavier sound) when I first heard their last concert (BBC Live in Reading) in the early 90s as at the time I only had their albums up to Black Rose.

He could have damaged his throat around that time - have a listen to him singing 'Military Man' on Gary Moore's 'Run For Cover' from 1985. His voice is sounding good on this live clip:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK0C-xKVOBw[/media]

Edited by Green Alsatian