Why become a member? ×

Status necks

Dom in Dorset

I used one a few years ago. First - you've got to like the "graphite sound". Its bright, hard and brittle...unforgiving of sloppy playing...but also immediate and full.

When you fit the neck you have to drill into the heel for the mounting screw holes. Its a thin moulding of epoxy with a hollow core, and you must countersink the holes to stop it cracking. It also kills a drill bit very fast and you must must must use the correct bit size for the screw they provide - there is no second chance (I doubt you could plug and re-drill, as there is pretty much nothing to plug). Same goes for the tuner mounting.

They are well made, sound good (if you like it). Mine arrived with very level frets and a well cut nut.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1344057' date='Aug 18 2011, 09:30 AM']I used one a few years ago. First - you've got to like the "graphite sound". Its bright, hard and brittle...unforgiving of sloppy playing...but also immediate and full.

When you fit the neck you have to drill into the heel for the mounting screw holes. Its a thin moulding of epoxy with a hollow core, and you must countersink the holes to stop it cracking. It also kills a drill bit very fast and you must must must use the correct bit size for the screw they provide - there is no second chance (I doubt you could plug and re-drill, as there is pretty much nothing to plug). Same goes for the tuner mounting.

They are well made, sound good (if you like it). Mine arrived with very level frets and a well cut nut.[/quote]

I've heard that fitting them isn't for the faint hearted, although many people seem to have no problems. I thought the heel of the neck was layered up with various materials to give the screws something to bite into (rather than a hollow epoxy shell) but you'd still want to get them right first time.

In theory all Fender necks and body neck pockets are the same size and shape, in practice some aren't... particularly some of the Japanese made ones. Might be worth checking the body with Status before ordering the neck.

As BassBod said, it can sound bright, hard and brittle but with plenty of bass boost it can sound amazing. You get much more note definition than with a wooden neck, a graphite neck feels alive all over the fingerboard, no deadspots and better harmonics. You might find you need to clean up your technique a bit but it won't take long to adjust.

Graphite necks aren't for everybody so you might want to try and give one a go before you buy.

Edit: Not all Fender tuners are the same either so you might want to check they all fit before you start drilling.

Edited by Fat Rich