Why become a member? ×

Updates - can't be bothered

Bilbo

I have a version of Cubase Stonehenge v.1 which meets my needs in terms of home recording. I use Sibelius Orthapeadic, Transcribe Quill © and Band in an orange Box and they do everything I want them to. I get the motivation for providers to up-date software (primarily commercial) but have never really bothered with it as the core purpose of the earlier versions is working perfectly well. I still only use 'play' on a dvd player, one setting on a washing machine and 'on/off' for the central heating. Is it just me?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1342931' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:35 AM']I have a version of Cubase Stonehenge v.1 which meets my needs in terms of home recording. I use Sibelius Orthapeadic, Transcribe Quill © and Band in an orange Box and they do everything I want them to. I get the motivation for providers to up-date software (primarily commercial) but have never really bothered with it as the core purpose of the earlier versions is working perfectly well. I still only use 'play' on a dvd player, one setting on a washing machine and 'on/off' for the central heating. Is it just me?[/quote]

Me too - usually if something was good enough for purpose when you bought it and that purpose hasn't changed and the product hasn't stopped working, then the only thing encouraging change is marketing and the desire for shiny new things.

It's partly what makes me wonder why you could record adequatly on a laptop 5 years ago, but you still need a state of the art new laptop to do adequate recording - surely by now even the cheapest laptop you buy should be as powerful as the top of the range once from 5 years ago. Ho hum.

If you want to record on a bottom of the range laptop you can.

It will do it.

And no worse than it was before.

If you want to be able to record 16+ tracks you may struggle, for one thing the harddrives in bottom of the range laptops are slow, for another they dont have that much more spare resource after the OS has eaten what it needs, than the old laptop did. Thats how it has always been (esp on MS OS)

If you step up to a pretty heavy duty modern laptop you will blow away any performance from any laptop even 5 years old. [i]As long as you run up to date software on it[/i]. Why? Because modern CPUs make much of multithreaded architectures, many cores hyperthreaded. And old software doesnt work like that at all, so it cannot take advantage of most of the power of the modern CPU.

Put this in some context, my old lappie had a 1.7GHz Turion 64bit processor in it, my new lappie has a 1.7 GHz i7 CPU in it. Which means it has 4 hyperthreaded cores running at 1.7GHz, or 8 times the compute power of the old lappie, but if the software cannot run efficiently making use of those threads then it doesnt get to use the power....

Because it is a 64 bit modern machine I can use huge amounts of RAM too (8 GB in fact) whereas your old lappie cant get over a couple of GB (32bit architecture).

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1342931' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:35 AM']I still only use 'play' on a dvd player, one setting on a washing machine and 'on/off' for the central heating. Is it just me?[/quote]

:lol: :) :)

I only use my mobile phone for making telephone calls - remember that quaint old custom where you actually speak in real time to a real person [i]insted of xchangin loads of txt msgs, like, innit[/i].

Trouble is, we all like gadgets don't we. Things we can fiddle with, customise, and show off. The manufacturers love it, of course, especially since the production cost of including loads of hardly-used-after-a-few-weeks features is almost zero yet people will seemingly pay lods of extra money for them.

I've not yet quite decided whether getting old means you can no longer 'handle' such things or have just seen it all before and can no longer be arsed with such nonsense.

I'm a sucker for upgrades myself, but then I spend a lot of time tinkering with music software - probably as much if not more than I spend playing bass - so I'm often keen for new toys to play with.

But as a general rule, I'd quote the old adage: "if it's not broken, don't fix it"! :)

There's also a lot to be said for working within limitations and getting the most out of things, rather than buying new stuff in order to 'improve'. So I'd say stick with what you have until you hit upon limitations that suggest you'd be best upgrading.