Why become a member? ×

Stupid question

Huw Foster

Hi there,

A really quick question for you - is there a right/wrong way to connect a Little Mark II to two speaker cabinets?

I've never actually done it before. I've just received two 1x12s, each with two speakon inputs. Can I daisy-chain them, or do I use both of the outputs from the amp? Or can I do either?

It's a really stupid question I know, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to blow anything up doing either of these things. :)

Cheers!

Huw

[quote name='Huwberry' post='1340999' date='Aug 15 2011, 06:59 PM']Hi there,

A really quick question for you - is there a right/wrong way to connect a Little Mark II to two speaker cabinets?

I've never actually done it before. I've just received two 1x12s, each with two speakon inputs. Can I daisy-chain them, or do I use both of the outputs from the amp? Or can I do either?

It's a really stupid question I know, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to blow anything up doing either of these things. :)

Cheers!

Huw[/quote]

Either will do the job with no difference.
I tend not to daisy chain because if the first lead should fail you won't get a signal to either cab.

[quote name='icastle' post='1341010' date='Aug 15 2011, 07:08 PM']Either will do the job with no difference.
I tend not to daisy chain because if the first lead should fail you won't get a signal to either cab.[/quote]
Brilliant, just what I was after, with a good tip thrown in. Thanks a bunch!!

Good evening, Huwberry, and welcome to the forum.
Nothing (too...) stupid about the question. The O/Ps from your amp are in parallel, so there is no difference in daisy-chaining or running seperate cables from the amp (with a jack/speakon converter...). The only downside to chaining would be total silence if the unique cable becomes unplugged, but little risk, normally.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='icastle' post='1341010' date='Aug 15 2011, 02:08 PM']Either will do the job with no difference.
I tend not to daisy chain because if the first lead should fail you won't get a signal to either cab.[/quote]
Another advantage is that you don't send all the amp current through only one cord. If your cords aren't under-gauge it's no matter, but if you don't know then using both amp outputs is prudent.

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1341019' date='Aug 15 2011, 07:13 PM']....The only downside to chaining would be total silence if the unique cable becomes unplugged....[/quote]
Either way will do.

I have never had a speaker cable fail and speakons won't accidentally become unplugged!! That’s why they were invented!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='icastle' post='1341010' date='Aug 15 2011, 07:08 PM']Either will do the job with no difference.

Well depends how much of a purist/pedantic-git you are :)

Daisy chaining means that one speaker is operating over a longer cable length and thus lower damping factor due to the increased impedance of the longer cable. So technically your always better off with the shortest possible cables direct from the amp. If your speakers are 2 of the same type then the cable gauge and lengths should be the same (but still as short as poss).

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1342672' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:01 AM']Well depends how much of a purist/pedantic-git you are :lol:

Daisy chaining means that one speaker is operating over a longer cable length and thus lower damping factor due to the increased impedance of the longer cable. So technically your always better off with the shortest possible cables direct from the amp. If your speakers are 2 of the same type then the cable gauge and lengths should be the same (but still as short as poss).[/quote]
We're [i]all[/i] pedants and purists on here - well, we [i]are[/i] bassists! :)

Back on-topic, I would recommend using at a minimum 4mm[sup]2[/sup] gauge cable - OBBM can sort you out with the relevant cables, or you can roll-yer-own if you're handy with a pair of wire-strippers and a screwdriver - Speakons ain't difficult to wire up :)

Keeping them short is also another good idea - my head-to-cab cable is less than a metre (probably closer to 18" / 0.5m all told), and a daisy chain cable I made up is about 1.5m / 5' maximum.

HTH,
Ian

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1342672' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:01 AM']Well depends how much of a purist/pedantic-git you are :)

Daisy chaining means that one speaker is operating over a longer cable length and thus lower damping factor due to the increased impedance of the longer cable. So technically your always better off with the shortest possible cables direct from the amp. If your speakers are 2 of the same type then the cable gauge and lengths should be the same (but still as short as poss).[/quote]

I'm no purist, I'm not pedantic but I am a git. :)

Assuming you're using a decent quality cable, the effect of impedance over 4' of cable isn't going to be noticeable unless you look for it. :lol: