Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to EHX Big Muff

dan2112

I'm currently using a russia EHX big muff and my main source of fuzz but I'm finding that it lacks any clarity. Can anyone recommend any alternatives? :) I mainly use it quite often combined with a bassballs for a bass synth like effect but use just the fuzz on its own too.

Dan

[quote name='dan2112' post='1338582' date='Aug 13 2011, 11:14 AM']I'm currently using a russia EHX big muff and my main source of fuzz but I'm finding that it lacks any clarity. Can anyone recommend any alternatives? :) I mainly use it quite often combined with a bassballs for a bass synth like effect but use just the fuzz on its own too.

Dan[/quote]
too many.. seriously, try a search under fuzz. both here and on Talkbass.

MXR blowtorch is nice if a bit subtle.

Devi-ever stuff is the complete opposite to subtle.

Way Huge swollen pickle, Z-Vex woolly mammoth, etc..

the main thing to bear in mind is that some fuzzes don't take kindly to active basses with hot signals.

a blendable gated fuzz is a good idea, or any other fuzz blended with clean signal using an LS-2 or similar.

try [url="http://bassfuzz.com/"]http://bassfuzz.com/[/url]

Edited by phil.i.stein

Wren and Cuff do a range of muff derived fuzzes some specifically tweaked for bass and with blend knob to mix is a clean signal too - the Pickle Pie B is their take on the Way Huge swollen pickle/ EHX big muff.

Sound demo's on the youtubes.

Worth a look!

i would advise people not to go for a swollen pickle.

allthough i found THE nicest fuzz tone on it if you make any slight adjustment to the amp or bass it seems to drastically change the charectoristics of the pedal =/ its really weird

i spoke to Brian Cook of Russian Circles about why he didnt use his any more and he said exactly the same.

a good pedal if you use it in the studio i guess... not for live application IMO

I use Copilot FX Orbit, swapped out my silver Big Muff for it. Its pretty amazing, standard Fuzz sounds with adjustable gate & ring-mod sections.
I had mine built with a blend control, so I still have all my clean signal going through with the effect....perfect :)

Si