Why become a member? ×

Incurable GAS!

ThomBassmonkey

Anyone else think that it might never go away? I LOVE Sandbergs and the two I've owned have been two of the nicest basses I've ever played but GAS took me against my will and one went for a Ray a few months back.

Now the other's potentially in the firing line, it's a full custom and I'll never find another like it if it goes, but the temptation to put it up for trade for a HH Ray, Bongo or fretless Lightwave fiver is getting to me. I know it's a bad idea but my damned GAS keeps telling me that the Sandberg isn't really usable as a backup because the output is so much less and I've never needed a backup bass anyway so I'm better off getting another MM or something totally different that can serve a different purpose.

I'm glad I don't have amp GAS too or I would probably end up insane. I do however have crazy tuner GAS which is driving me mad. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1335888' date='Aug 10 2011, 11:16 PM']Anyone else think that it might never go away? I LOVE Sandbergs and the two I've owned have been two of the nicest basses I've ever played but GAS took me against my will and one went for a Ray a few months back.

Now the other's potentially in the firing line, it's a full custom and I'll never find another like it if it goes, but the temptation to put it up for trade for a HH Ray, Bongo or fretless Lightwave fiver is getting to me. I know it's a bad idea but my damned GAS keeps telling me that the Sandberg isn't really usable as a backup because the output is so much less and I've never needed a backup bass anyway so I'm better off getting another MM or something totally different that can serve a different purpose.

I'm glad I don't have amp GAS too or I would probably end up insane. I do however have crazy tuner GAS which is driving me mad. :)[/quote]

GAS = BASSES = CASTRATION = DIVORSE = NO MONEY = ANTIGAS

Proof of the never ending cycle of bass players lives... It is written and so it shall be... Although...

ANTIGAS = MONEY = GIRLFRIEND = NO MONEY ... . . .. Does that mean we only ever have one true GAS period or is this proof that in order to fullfill the prophecy true GASeous bassists can only marry once??

[quote name='SirChewey' post='1337206' date='Aug 12 2011, 02:41 AM']GAS = BASSES = CASTRATION = DIVORSE = NO MONEY = ANTIGAS

Proof of the never ending cycle of bass players lives... It is written and so it shall be... Although...

ANTIGAS = MONEY = GIRLFRIEND = NO MONEY ... . . .. Does that mean we only ever have one true GAS period or is this proof that in order to fullfill the prophecy true GASeous bassists can only marry once??[/quote]

What about:

ANTIGAS = MONEY = GIRLFRIEND = MARRIAGE = BOREDOM = GAS

... and so the circle is complete.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1337360' date='Aug 12 2011, 10:46 AM']Are you preferring the Musicman?

This might be just a situation where you are starting to find a bass that suits you more perhaps?[/quote]

That's what it is, but I used to have a Warwick and then got my 'berg J and preferred that so much I got another 'berg, now the same thing's happening again! Only difference this time is that I don't like the MM for "acoustic" style gigs so I'd need something slightly different for a less aggressive tone.

Nice try, Fred. :) I wouldn't sell it anyway. I love that bass, it's stunning and sounds awesome, it'd have to be a trade for the right bass so I know I'm getting what I want from moving it on.

I would actually really like to read something qualified about GAS from a psychologist.

Fact is that if we'd all spent half the money we spend on gear on lessons instead
we'd surely be going somewhere.

It surely has aspects of "Ersatzhandlung" ie. act of compensation. How much time
do you spend browsing stuff rather than practising, or even better: playing?

My theory is that because making music is somehow addictive, and bass players
have the particular difficulty to always need a band to do so, we dive into gear
instead.

I know quite a lot of musicians too busy playing to develop gas - most professionals
that I know have very little gear (mostly due to being broke, moving house all
the time and so forth).

Could be worth hinting some psychology student towards this board to conduct
a study.

[quote name='SirChewey' post='1338380' date='Aug 13 2011, 02:37 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe080BJUAh4&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe080BJUAh4...be_gdata_player[/url]

i got one you can have lol ^^^^[/quote]

PMSL at this...................loved the ending :)

[quote name='janmaat' post='1338418' date='Aug 13 2011, 08:35 AM']I would actually really like to read something qualified about GAS from a psychologist.

Fact is that if we'd all spent half the money we spend on gear on lessons instead

It surely has aspects of "Ersatzhandlung" ie. act of compensation. How much time

have the particular difficulty to always need a band to do so, we dive into gear
instead.

I know quite a lot of musicians too busy playing to develop gas - most professionals
the time and so forth).

a study.[/quote]

Great post Jan.

[quote name='janmaat' post='1338418' date='Aug 13 2011, 08:35 AM']I would actually really like to read something qualified about GAS from a psychologist.

instead.

the time and so forth).

a study.[/quote]

I kind of agree to some extent.

It seems that a lot of players find it easier to get knowledgable about basses/gear and 'talk the talk' to other bass players about gear than it is to practise hard and reach a similarly in-depth knowledge of PLAYING a bass.

I believe the description for people with 'incurable GAS' is simple...

"All the gear, no idea"

I actually don't mind GAS - it drives me to try out new instruments and it keeps things interesting for me. I like the feel of different instruments, different sounds.

I'd rather have first-hand experience with an instrument than watch all the YouTube clips, read all the forums and listen to all the word-of-mouth. Most of my purchases have been through curiosity.

It's never got in the way of playing though - I've never thought "I can't do this, until I own that". It's certainly helped me identify 'keepers' - what works for me and what did nothing for me.

I used to joke with my bandmates that I'll never bring the same bass twice to practice! :)

Interesting post, Jan. I know I get bored of things and need a change from time to time. I also find I only need one bass and since I have two good quality ones at any time, I tend to change my "spare" bass and fall in love with the new one regularly rather than set out to change my main bass specifically.

A new bass is always an inspiration too, I found I wrote quite a lot of songs when I got my Warwick for example as it was my first expensive bass. New basses seem to want to be played different ways which can lead to new ideas, IME at least.

[quote name='skej21' post='1338450' date='Aug 13 2011, 09:19 AM']I kind of agree to some extent.

It seems that a lot of players find it easier to get knowledgable about basses/gear and 'talk the talk' to other bass players about gear than it is to practise hard and reach a similarly in-depth knowledge of PLAYING a bass.

I believe the description for people with 'incurable GAS' is simple...

"All the gear, no idea"[/quote]

I assume you've listened to my music and taken the time to learn about me by looking at the links in my sig before you say I have no idea? No? Didn't think so. I don't know if some people are deliberately offensive or just too stupid to know how to behave socially. :) Maybe some of us like change and would rather use a variety of gear instead of restricting ourselves for no reason. Either way, to come on a forum where so many people enjoy using different basses and make a statement like that isn't very bright.

Rob, i've just been possibly offered a HH Bongo for it, only shame is that it's bright orange :) i've nev played one thigh and want to give them a go.

[quote name='Rayman' post='1338576' date='Aug 13 2011, 11:07 AM']It never goes......[i]never[/i].

I'm thinking about unloading the Shuker because it's not getting played much, and I want either another Stingray or a Fender Jazz or Precision.

Help me baby Jesus.[/quote]

+1 if you think you made it through.......

I got into cycling 5 years ago and went quite gassy, 20 years before that it was old racing cars and now it's back to bass after 25 years, have I grown up! and got sensible , I don't think so, just more particular.

I think the abbreviation to GAS for those of us that have it, isn't good and a little to distant, a ''Sydrome'' is a very serious condition.