Why become a member? ×

Custom shop!?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FENDER-CUSTOM-SHOP-JAZZ-BASS-NATURAL-ROSEWOOD-/120756922107?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c1dac66fb#ht_1111wt_977"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FENDER-CUSTO...b#ht_1111wt_977[/url]

The bridge is about 3 inches to far forward. looks dodgy! hope no one bids!

[quote name='Robert Manning' post='1335218' date='Aug 10 2011, 04:03 PM']Oh yeah I suppose it is! Why is the bridge so far forward though?!
Bit of an uninspiring eBay ad for such an expensive bass.
Why would someone sell a new custom guitar though?[/quote]
Why would someone criticise an eBay ad without checking the facts first?

Just sayin'. :)

[quote name='Robert Manning' post='1335218' date='Aug 10 2011, 04:03 PM']Why would someone sell a new custom guitar though?[/quote]

I was thinking about buying off him. Had a couple of conversations with him and he seems decent enough.

He sells a lot of CS and AV reissues. I can only guess that they're grey imports. He describes them as new and I have no reason to doubt that but they are well below the price you would pay from a authorised dealer.

Edited by DirkThrust

[quote name='Robert Manning' post='1335395' date='Aug 10 2011, 06:06 PM']just a bit odd, thats all.

surely theres no reason why someone would get fender to make them a custom bass and then sell it before playing it.

i mean it would have costed loads!

what are grey imports?[/quote]

Hey Rob, it's not a custom-built bass, 'Custom Shop' is simply one of Fender's premium brands (i.e., better woods, better build - allegedly anyway - and better components than the standard MIA models). The brand name suggets a custom build without it being a custom build :)

[quote name='Robert Manning' post='1335395' date='Aug 10 2011, 06:06 PM']what are grey imports?[/quote]

Unofficial imports. I was looking for a CS Jazz recently and some of the American dealers state on their websites that Fender forbids them from shipping new instruments abroad, presumably to protect the dealer networks abroad and to maintain the price structure.

I emailed a couple of them and they hinted that they would find a way to ship abroad anyway, so I expect this seller has an "arrangement" with someone over there to supply him with new basses

[quote name='Johnston' post='1335421' date='Aug 10 2011, 06:21 PM']Look at it this way. With things like Sportscars and helicopters it's fairly normal for someone to put in an early order before they even have went into production then sell it. Usually because someone comes along and is willing to pay a premium not to go onto the back of a waiting list. I guess Custom shop stuff would run a similar theory.

I guess works a bit like.

It costs £2000 but has a 12 month waiting list. Some nice Bob says I'll have one and orders a fairly basic run of the line down the middle spec. When he gets it he advertises it.

He gets it meanwhile Paul says I want a Custom shop. Oh sh*t I can't be arsed waiting a year. Oh hold on there's one there I can have now at only £2500

Plus you have the advantage of paying when the exchange rate is in your favour and selling when it doesn't work out so good so it looks a better deal to a prospective buyer. .[/quote]

Agh right I get it now!
Thanks for the info :)