Why become a member? ×

Rockbottom looted

AndyZed750

Rockbottom in croydon by all accounts has been completly cleared out by looters and pictures on sky news showed it earlier all smashed up.
Got my first bass from there last year and as a kid used to go in there most weekends.
They won't get payed out by insurance companies so i'm guessing thats it for them like many of the small bussiness in croydon.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1332943' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:21 PM']Surely this is classed as theft and they'll all get paid out? And if not, government compensation goes some way to cover the costs in this kind of event.[/quote]

Riots and looting are usually exemptions on insurance policies.
As for government compensation... not sure where you got that from... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1332949' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:24 PM']Riots and looting are usually exemptions on insurance policies.
As for government compensation... not sure where you got that from... :)[/quote]

I didn't know the first point, and the government will quite often help people out in situations such as this...

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1332968' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:35 PM']Do they have to cash to help out?[/quote]

They found £90m for Somalia, which went out on the quiet, and sure enraged me enough, I'd hope they could find some for their own people.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1332958' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:29 PM']I didn't know the first point, and the government will quite often help people out in situations such as this...[/quote]

Hmm.
I'm probably just a tad too cynical
Not saying it shouldn't happen, but I reckon the chances of government throwing its hands in the air and saying 'here's some money for you' whilst maintaining its stance on law and order is pretty unlikely.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1332973' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:38 PM']They found £90m for Somalia, which went out on the quiet, and sure enraged me enough, I'd hope they could find some for their own people.[/quote]

I gotta say I agree they seem to cough up money for various things. I'm joining icastle on the cynical side though. & yep the insurers are sure likely to drag their heals.

[quote name='icastle' post='1332980' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:40 PM']Hmm.
I'm probably just a tad too cynical
Not saying it shouldn't happen, but I reckon the chances of government throwing its hands in the air and saying 'here's some money for you' whilst maintaining its stance on law and order is pretty unlikely.[/quote]

Not cynical at all :)

Just realistic lol

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1332979' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:39 PM']The government are classing it as organised theft so the insurance should pay out.

Insurers say it's looting and it's not covered.

The shops will have gone bust before it's all sorted.

Sad state of affairs :)[/quote]

Yep.
Both sides using semantics to get their own way.
Government won't use the word 'looting' as it portrays an image of lawlessness and loss of control over the populace.
Insurance companies are saying that this is looting and not 'organised theft'.

I have to say that on the balance of things I agree with the insurance companies on this one.
Just because a bunch of scumbags are using twitter to tell people where they are attacking it doesn't make it 'organised' in the sense that 'organised theft' is generally understood to mean.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1332987' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:44 PM']I gotta say I agree they seem to cough up money for various things. I'm joining icastle on the cynical side though. & yep the insurers are sure likely to drag their heals.[/quote]

As much as I dislike the delaying and avoidance tactics of many insurance companies, I have to say that I agree with them on this occasion.
If riot and looting are excluded from the insurance policy then the insurer has every right to query the expedient usage of the 'organised theft' description that has been rolled out by the government spindoctors.

[quote name='icastle' post='1333005' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:00 AM']As much as I dislike the delaying and avoidance tactics of many insurance companies, I have to say that I agree with them on this occasion.
If riot and looting are excluded from the insurance policy then the insurer has every right to query the expedient usage of the 'organised theft' description that has been rolled out by the government spindoctors.[/quote]

Yeah that's fair enough. From a point of having worked in insurance claims though it's not a nice feeling to tell someone they've lost everything.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1332999' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:55 PM']This is all a backlash from poor management of the banking systems around the world.

I'm unemployed but don't feel the need to riot and loot.

Seems like I'm a minority :)[/quote]

I thought it stemmed from a bloke getting shot dead after he tried to shoot a police officer?
I understand it spread to Birmingham this afternoon as well.

Like you, I don't have any urge to riot and loot - although my neighbours are on holiday so I practised with my amp on '3' this afternoon so I guess I'm pretty close to the revolutionary edge... :)

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1333011' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:04 AM']Yeah that's fair enough. From a point of having worked in insurance claims though it's not a nice feeling to tell someone they've lost everything.[/quote]

I'm quite used to giving people bad news but I have to say that I certainly wouldn't want to have to do that. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1333012' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:06 AM']I thought it stemmed from a bloke getting shot dead after he tried to shoot a police officer?
I understand it spread to Birmingham this afternoon as well.

Like you, I don't have any urge to riot and loot - although my neighbours are on holiday so I practised with my amp on '3' this afternoon so I guess I'm pretty close to the revolutionary edge... :)[/quote]

The shooting sparked it but it has been building for a while.

The spreading to Brum just proves it really.

Turn the amp up full........ I can then predict a riot (ok I'll get my coat)

[quote name='icastle' post='1332949' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:24 PM']Riots and looting are usually exemptions on insurance policies.
As for government compensation... not sure where you got that from... :)[/quote]
I thought that riot wasn't an exclusion, war was. For example, [url="http://www.directlineforbusiness.co.uk/business-insurance/contents-insurance.htm"]Direct Line cover losses through riot.[/url] Where are you all getting your insurance?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1332973' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:38 PM']They found £90m for Somalia, which went out on the quiet, and sure enraged me enough, I'd hope they could find some for their own people.[/quote]

We shouldn't be giving a penny to Somalia, we need the cash here.

Those businesses will surely go bust.
Then in a year or so, the Gov will roll out a "regeneration grant" to stimulate and rebuild business in the devastated areas, and those grants will go to whoever has the longest tongue at the time.
Who pays? We do.
Call me cynical. I am.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1332999' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:55 PM']This is all a backlash from poor management of the banking systems around the world.[/quote]

When things are bad, people revolt. We have seen it in history countless times.

When people just take the opportunity to loot shops, that's not a revolution, it's something else.

The "poor" in this country are still living in substantially better conditions than a lot of people in many other countries. But we've grown too accustomed to a "good life" and there seems to be a general sense of entitlement to things without putting the effort to earn them.
Yes, I agree, the banking issues etc are a disgrace. But in no way any sane person living in this country can see that as a justification to go out, rob, and destroy.

The question is, what is everyone else going to do about it?
Precious little nothing, it seems :)