Why become a member? ×

Active basses...

uncle psychosis

Hey folks

I should be taking delivery of a shiny new (well, new to me) bass next week. Its active and I've only ever played passive basses---so I have some stupid questions. Try not to laugh...

1. I need to unplug it when I'm not using it, right?
2. How long do batteries (typically) last in an active bass?
3. What is the "accepted" way of using the built-in EQ versus using the EQ on the amp? Amp flat and dial everything in on the bass, or...?

Yea unplug it when not in use. Aside from saving the battery it will stop you from knocking the thing over if your foot catches the lead.
Tone wise it depends on what it can do. Some eq's are boost only some are cut/boost. I really only use mine if I'm going direct or want to remove excessive highs/lows onstage. TBH most of the time I run my basses in passive mode.

[quote name='Mog' post='1326289' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:06 PM']Yea unplug it when not in use. Aside from saving the battery it will stop you from knocking the thing over if your foot catches the lead.
Tone wise it depends on what it can do. Some eq's are boost only some are cut/boost. I really only use mine if I'm going direct or want to remove excessive highs/lows onstage. TBH most of the time I run my basses in passive mode.[/quote]

The EQ is cut/boost. Don't think it has a passive mode :)

The eq pots will most likely have a centre (center?) notch in that case. Just work with it in small steps and find what sounds good to you, theres no real right or wrong way of doing it. If its 18volt you'll have plenty of scope so make adjustments with care.
A good place to start is with a slight bass&treble boost and a slight cut in the mids. Or you could try boosting/cutting each pot individually until you're happy with each. Trust your ear.

Always unplug in order to prolong the battery life. My battery (Duracell Plus) is good for 150+ gigs before it needs changing.

Always carry spare batteries. I carry 2.

Active EQ's are cut/boost. Start flat and make small changes.

Always unplug to save on batteries, it's a PITA (especially on Neutrik locking jacks :-/ ) but worth it.

Time frame in all honesty I don't know...Been using my Ibanez BTB556 daily for some 3 - 4 years now with a slight boost to the lows and highs.
It's an 18-volt and still on factory batteries (2 x 9-volt). I think it depends on the pre-amp but really expect some 10,000 hours or something dumb lol.
My Yamaha TRB recently conked out but I dunno how long that battery was in there for. :-/ (9-volt)

Active EQ's vary but are boost / cut on a whole. You'll find some have mid boost / cut, some have frequency selector switches and some have a mid sweep.
Usually it's the mids that have the fancy add-ons though and even then, not on all models.
Basically put, the idea is you can make your bass sound certain ways before EQ on an amp. If you love the way the bass sounds, but perhaps it could do with a little more low end, dial some in, just a touch.
Likewise if the low end is fine but you wish to have more zing, dial in some highs...But watch your ears!

Edited by Kongo

My rules of thumb (I have 2 thumbs, so 2 rules):

1. Unplug when you are done.

2. Play about with the knobs until it sounds good.

I have no idea how long batteries last. I changed the stock battery in my Sadowsky after a year and a half. Though I have no idea how much it was played before I bought it new from the shop. When the bass sounds less good than it usually does, then it is time to change the battery.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1326392' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:35 AM']When the bass sounds less good than it usually does, then it is time to change the battery.[/quote]

Y'know...I might just change them batteries. You've just made me interested in how much tone may have been lost that I've never noticed over the years.

I set up my bass flat, then get the sound I want from the amp. I leave the pickup blend and EA sections well alone until I want a minor adjustment, which it is ideal for. It's also nice for live usage, such as the variation between songs, without significantly affecting the levels. I love active Eq as it gives you that extra bit of control that can help so much live

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1326280' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:01 PM']I should be taking delivery of a shiny new (well, new to me) bass next week. Its active and I've only ever played passive basses---so I have some stupid questions. Try not to laugh...[/quote]

Sadly, I'm not awaiting delivery of a new bass, but I've also only ever played passives. May I add my own stupid questions?

1. Why an active bass at all?
2. What can an active do that can't be achieved with amp eq and/or pedals?
3. Is it worth all the battery hassles that are regularly posted here?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1326442' date='Aug 4 2011, 07:46 AM']I set up my bass flat, then get the sound I want from the amp. I leave the pickup blend and EA sections well alone until I want a minor adjustment, which it is ideal for. It's also nice for live usage, such as the variation between songs, without significantly affecting the levels. I love active Eq as it gives you that extra bit of control that can help so much live[/quote]

Sounds good. I'm not really into effects on bass (I have one or two, but I'd rather have none...) but it would be nice to sound a bit different on different songs...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1326482' date='Aug 4 2011, 08:48 AM']Sounds good. I'm not really into effects on bass (I have one or two, but I'd rather have none...) but it would be nice to sound a bit different on different songs...[/quote]

Quite. Playing in a rock band, I always go for the tone that cuts through enough but also supports the guitar just right. When we slow it down for a few numbers it's nice just to roll off the treble a little bit and play with a little less attack, or on my warwick perhaps flick the pups to J setting. It's therefore sensible to play around the centre detent, as you can find where you were before when you want to revert back. The same principle is true of running at 10 or 0, but IMO this is a daft way to go as you can only go in one direction from there...

IMO active basses aren't the be all and end all, but they sure are handy for tweaking, and I wouldn't fancy playing a passive bass live ever again (not done so for 6 years so fairly happy with that)

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1326466' date='Aug 4 2011, 08:30 AM']Sadly, I'm not awaiting delivery of a new bass, but I've also only ever played passives. May I add my own stupid questions?

3. Is it worth all the battery hassles that are regularly posted here?[/quote]

On point 1 and 2, the major difference between a passive bass and one with a preamp installed is that the volume and tone controls on the passive bass place a load on the pickups which causes some treble to be lost. With passive pickups + on board preamp (like most active basses), the preamp usually has a very high impedance which doesn't load down the pickups like passive controls do, so there can be a bit more high frequency response. So even with a passive bass and outboard preamp, the sound will not be the same as running the pickups straight into the preamp. Having said that, I've always liked passive basses best.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1326466' date='Aug 4 2011, 08:30 AM']Sadly, I'm not awaiting delivery of a new bass, but I've also only ever played passives. May I add my own stupid questions?

3. Is it worth all the battery hassles that are regularly posted here?[/quote]

1. Nice to have the tonal control at your fingertips, even when playing sat down in my bedroom I don't have my rig within arm's reach. Same story at band practice and obviously at any gig. You can even tweak the settings mid song if you know your way around your bass, this can be a real bonus when playing live, and is a lot more audience friendly than turning around and poring over your amp.

2. Active bass controls are obviously very limited, typically only 2 or sometimes 3 band, and if you're buying a high end beast you might get some variable mid control but who knows. These controls can of course be bettered by those on most amps, and an EQ pedal will be a whole lot more versatile too (or presets on something like a sansamp), but the most basic way to change your tone is just with the treble and bass controls and to alter your playing in conjunction with them. It can be done easily mid song, and provided you don't whack the control fully one way or the other, you'll never have volume issues when changing between sounds like you do with say a pedal preset, and of course it's you tweaking it based on the venue and layout and other instruments etc, which probably won't be the same as the practice room where you set up your sansamp/eq pedal/insert alternative here.

3. I own a Warwick, Dean and Epiphone active basses and have never once had a battery 'issue', always carry a spare and always have the tools to get into the battery compartment and you'll never have a problem. As for basses that run batteries flat really fast, this tends to be a wiring issue and usually means it's been poorly built, buying a decent bass will more than likely avoid poor build quality, but who wants to buy a poorly built bass anyway, passive or active or whatever?

EDIT: I'm not saying passive basses are useless, I have a couple of passive instruments too and would gladly buy more, I think plenty of them are great, however I would not feel in suitable control of my live sound without an active bass.

Edited by dc2009

Big fan of active here: because as I play and everyone else, I can adjust both tone and attack
so it fits in with what else is going on at my finger tips. With passive basses, I can get the sounds
I want as well but it's much less easy to get there, unless it's a one-trick pony and nothing in
the set ever changes. And if you want that fat punchy bouncy tone, you need a preamp on- or
offboard really - but that depends on the music you make. I was quite happy with that passive
P bass and still am for what it does. But than, a bass is better than no bass!

Some pickup settings like bridge pickups have a lot more range than you usually want, and have
comparatively low output, so an active preamp makes totally sense to work these machines. On
most my active basses, I have one prefered setting.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1326373' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:01 AM']Active EQ's are cut/boost. Start flat and make small changes.[/quote]

Not necerssarily. The Bass knob on stingrays tend to be boost only IIRC.

Personally I like both passive and active. Providing the passive has te right electronics go the best sound. I hate having humbuckers with 250k tone pots as you lose a fair bit of high end than if it were a 500k. I good passive circuit on a bad that is setup well can be just as powerful as any active bass.

However EQ adjustments on the fly are easily made with an on board active pre. I prefer setting up the bass in as loud as possible With th least amount of environmental disturbances IE wall reflections and refractions. Typically out doors. Then you can cutand boost as required for different rooms. Too boomy? cut the bass, not cutting? Boost the highs.

Alway use Duracells, for some reason they last up to 4x longer than any other battery. Went the sound garbles the battery is dead.