Why become a member? ×

GONE - Gibson Grabber 1979

bassjamm

Hello everyone,

[center]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[center][b]ME NO LONGER OWN A THE GRABBER[/b][/center]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/center]

I've had a change in circumstances and no longer have a need for my Grabber. I bought it to use in a band I'm no longer in, and I have other basses that are more suitable to my current needs.

The bass has been with me since March of this year, which is when I bought it from Andy Baxter, of Andy Baxter Bass in London.

Here's a link to the sale page with pictures -

[url="http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=138"]Gibson Grabber 1979 Photos[/url]

Here are a few of the pics for your pleasure though...

It's completely original, with the sliding pick up and everything. Made from maple, body, neck and fingerboard. And it weighs 8lb 13oz. The scale length is 34 1/2".

The bass is seriously awesome in sounds mint, both in the studio and live. Had a cracking session with it with the band I was playing it in. I was a bit nervous about using it as I'd only had it a week or two and planned on using my Precision, but the Grabber was all I could get to the studio in the end and it sounded absolutely awesome in the studio!

There's a rough demo that this bass was played on at the following address...the track is called "I Spent All My Taxi Money On Captain Morgans". I had quite a dirty tone for the band but it gives you something to go by for the bass I suppose. The main riff is quite dirty I guess, the end is very different so it shows a few different characteristics. This was played with a pick, going into a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket before going into the studio.

The link - [url="http://www.facebook.com/wearefailurebydesign?sk=app_178091127385"]Play "I Spent All My Taxi Money On Captain Morgans"[/url]

As for what I'm hoping to get for the bass etc. I'm in need of a fretted 5 string bass. Pretty open to suggestions, with cash either way if needs be, or a straight swap. I'd also consider an Ibanez GWB bass of any kind, I'm thinking of having my GWB35 fretted you see. Other than that, I'd consider an Orange, Bag End, Aguilar, Bergatino cab. Try me though. Cash wise, it's tough to know what to ask seeing as it's an old instrument.

Price - She's left me for another man...whhhhhyyyyyy?!?!?!

Thanks for looking, feel free to pm me with your offers and questions folks...I'm in Grantham, Lincs. and would welcome anyone who fancies having a go on it.

Let the games begin...

Jam

Edited by bassjamm

[quote name='woodyratm' post='1327653' date='Aug 4 2011, 07:23 PM']Is it all origanal?[/quote]

Yes yes...as far as I'm aware. I bought it under the belief that it is from a reputable seller. If you follow the link in the original post to Andy Baxter's site it goes into more detail about it there.

Only none original thing I know of is the case...but it's the toughest case I've ever laid eyes on!

It looks original to me and I have owned several Grabber basses (still own a very early one). It may be a little later than 79 judging by the Schaller (I presume Gibson branded) tuners and the matching headstock. These basses tend to be fairly light weight but I'm unsure of the later era ones...a later G3s I owned was pretty hefty though. Grabber basses are fantastic and sound great in any rock/roots context but I don't think they are grabbing (sorry) the attention they deserve.
Have a bump on me!

I bought a Cimar copy of this bass in 1979! It looked totally identical to yours apart from the logo :) The neck was so good, I stripped out the frets and married it up with my 1981 Ibanez Blazer body which is the fretless I still use now. Have a nostalgic bump on me :)

It's definitely a 1979 Grabber, although only just, it was born on December 22nd 1979, and it was the 15th instrument to be assembled that day at the Kalamazoo Factory in the US.

If you check the serial number against the info on [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/serial_numbers/"]this[/url] site you can verify all of that :)

The serial number is - 73549015

Thanks for all of the input folks.

• 2 weeks later...