Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

USA or CIJ?

mic mac moe

The country of origin of any instrument is irrelavant.

There are great and sh*t offerings from any mass produced factory. I have a MIA and a CIJ jazz, and love them both.

Find a nice bass that looks, plays and sounds how you want, and buy it.

Mick - I remember when I went out to buy a P - I went to Sound Control in Salford and tried everything they had from Mex Std to 60th Anniversary and I was willing to spend a grand on the right one. A bit underwhelmed, I went to Music Ground in Leeds and tried 3 or 4 Jap ones - a couple of reissues and a bog basic one.

I bought the bog basic one because it was the best P I'd played all day (apart from the 60th Anniversary MIA) and it cost less than £350.

To answer your question, I don't think it matters whether it's MIA or CIJ so long as it's a good example and the best one for you. Ps vary so much mate.

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='Rayman' post='152941' date='Mar 7 2008, 11:03 AM']Is that how you spell irrelavant? irelavant, irelevant? Dunno.[/quote]
Irrelevant.

But that [b]is[/b] irrelevant!

If I was in the market for a Fender, it'd be a used MIJ - these were built by FujiGen & many reckon they're better than the current Dyna/Tokai CIJs. Besides, it appeals to the JapCrap geek in me. :)

Jon.

I've had MIA jazzes in the past, and I have just bought a CIJ precision and CIJ Jazz. The Jazz comes with US pickups, and is in my opinion both are better made than the US ones I had.

They don't come with a hard case though.

I got a great deal from Malcolm at the Bass Emporium. A great guy who knows his stuff, and I can thoroughly recommend him.

Play all the basses you can and decide with your ears and your hands; not with your eyes looking at the label !!

Years ago I had to choose between 2 Jackson basses. One was a US model with EMGs abalone and a killer quilt maple top. The other was MIJ, much plainer, about £200 cheaper (which I wasn't bothered about) and had Jackson's own brand pickups.

As much as I [b][i]wanted [/b][/i]the US one, the MIJ felt much better and sounded much better. That's the one I still have many, many years later.

Although this is a question that always pops up here, I gotta have a chip in :) I've got both, I like them both for different reasons, My USA bridges are far better than the CIJ, I prefer the weight of the CIJ, I'd rather vintage style machine heads, USA comes with a case. The neck has to come off my CIJ to adjust the truss rod, which is a pain, it's easy access on a USA. I like having two different neck radius. They both have pros and cons in my opinion, lets face it they're factory instruments but nonetheless they've always been reliable work horses for me.

:) Thanks for your input guys.I do appreciate it.I went in my local store and tried a USA P bass with S1.Loved it!! Of course <it has all the P mojo! The first bass sound I learned to recognize! I then tried a mexican and basically put it straight back down!!No comparison.
Once upon a time though,I had a Japanese P;the 51 re issue blue flower one.Although it had all vintage accoutrements.2 saddle bridge,reverse tuners,hidden truss adjustment etc.No case.BUT,it absolutely oozed quality.Build and sound.Love Guitar emporiums website too.
So many basses,so little time ,eh?