Why become a member? ×

excellant youtube of guy playing Taxman bass part

daz

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='1317390' date='Jul 26 2011, 05:48 PM']I love the bit he plays at 1 min.
I'm not that familiar with the song , is that how McCartney played it?[/quote]

Yep. Macca wrote and played some great lines but had a habit of keeping them quite discrete. The verse in question is a good example.

Not sure the guy in the vid is doing anything special to be honest; seems to me that Macca did the hard work in writing such a clean and simple yet effective line to one of their more iconic songs? Perhaps I'm missing something :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1317395' date='Jul 26 2011, 05:52 PM']Yep. Macca wrote and played some great lines but had a habit of keeping them quite discrete. The verse in question is a good example.

[b]Not sure the guy in the vid is doing anything special to be honest;[/b] seems to me that Macca did the hard work in writing such a clean and simple yet effective line to one of their more iconic songs? Perhaps I'm missing something :)[/quote]

I think he is keeping time well :)

I love the song because of the simplicity etc.

Don't think you are missing anything Mr Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1317395' date='Jul 26 2011, 05:52 PM']Not sure the guy in the vid is doing anything special to be honest; seems to me that Macca did the hard work in writing such a clean and simple yet effective line to one of their more iconic songs? Perhaps I'm missing something :)[/quote]

I think thats it, its such a good bassline and the guy playing is doing a very good job, but the line doesn't require anything that would over impress playing wise, guess that is what bass is all about in most situations, just solid with the little frills just enough to notice and decorate the song but not overdone

Edited by lojo

[quote name='leschirons' post='1317535' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:44 PM']Bloody McCartney, nicking a Bruce Foxton bassline. Typical. :)[/quote]

Having had to do some work on Jam songs recently, I can confirm that there are in fact at least four Jam tracks from which Macca nicked that line :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1317545' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:51 PM']Having had to do some work on Jam songs recently, I can confirm that there are in fact at least four Jam tracks from which Macca nicked that line :)[/quote]

Bloody hell I never knew that!! He should be locked up same as Lennon should have been for pinching all the Oasis songs.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1317648' date='Jul 26 2011, 09:13 PM']It's definitely in To Be Someone as well. Thieving scouse git.[/quote]

And Liza Radley (at 1.10). I can't remember the last one, but it'll come back to me :)

Homage or plagiarism..........? I prefer to think the former, because his borrowing was so obvious, and usually done with pretty good taste?