Why become a member? ×

Which model of the Ibanez SR series is likely to be the lightest in weight?

mashup

Now I know that all basses - even identical models, differ in weight from instrument to instrument due to individual wood densities of body parts & components used, but i would really like to know which model out of the Ibanez SR series is likely, in general, to be the lightest in weight due to the types of woods & components that they are constructed from.

The SR's i am looking at are:-

[b]SR300 [/b]- [i]Agathis Body & Maple/Rosewood neck[/i]

[b]SR500[/b] - [i]Mahogany Body & Maple/Rosewood neck or Jatoba/Bubinga neck[/i]

[b]SR600 [/b]- [i]Ash body & Jatoba/Bubinga neck[/i]

[b]SR700[/b] - [i]Figured Maple/Mahogany wing body w/Maple center block & Jatoba/Bubinga neck[/i]

[b]SR1200[/b]- [i]Ovankol top/Mahogany body & Wenge/Bubinga neck w/KTS™ TITANIUM Reinforcement[/i]

Also, in your opinion, which one of these basses offers the most versatility in tone & which one is the best value for money?

& can i get Precision & Jazz style tones out of any of these?

Please advise

Thanks

Maybe Ibanez would answer this if you mail them ?

I was talking to a guy gigging with a rock band in a pub recently who was playing an SR600 because he said it was the lightest most confortable bass he could find as he had a bad back.

[quote name='Rusco' post='1315190' date='Jul 24 2011, 09:40 PM']Maybe Ibanez would answer this if you mail them ?

I was talking to a guy gigging with a rock band in a pub recently who was playing an SR600 because he said it was the lightest most confortable bass he could find as he had a bad back.[/quote]

This is exactly why i am looking at the SR basses. The thing is, i really dont want a "Metal" bass & that is the only concern with some of these SR's (as they seem to have this reputation), but the new single coil Nordstand Big Single equipped SR1200 really interests me - It certainly looks more traditional. Do you think that this particular SR would cater more specifically for the traditional bass tones used in Country/Folk/Rock/Pop?

Thanks

I don't know how the new SRs compare, but my SR1000 started off being used for rock & now gets used for folk, country, jazz & electro (such as house, DnB & dubstep).
The powercurve eq has a huge range of sounds.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1315221' date='Jul 24 2011, 10:02 PM']I don't know how the new SRs compare, but my SR1000 started off being used for rock & now gets used for folk, country, jazz & electro (such as house, DnB & dubstep).
The powercurve eq has a huge range of sounds.[/quote]

Versatility- That's good to know. I guess that as much as anything else, it's all in the fingers, but good base tones to start with is always helpful.

You can get pretty much any sound you want out of an SR. My 300 is probably more versatile than the Rockbass Corvette, others may say otherwise but it's just my experience.

As for weight, I can only refer to my 300 which is stupidly light.

I had an SR500 for a long while (5-pc wenge/bubinga neck on mine), which I fitted with Nordstrand Big Singles to replace the Bart MK1s.
I'd avoid the mahogany body ones as they are heavier and the tone seems quite dark, regardless of pickups. I could never get a particularly Fender-esque tone from it no matter which pickups were in there, though the EQ is versatile enough - the pickups just aren't in the right places. I tried what was probably an SR600 in a shop once and it was significantly lighter, that'd be the one I'd go for. But if I wanted proper precision/jazz sounds, I'd look elsewhere.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1315505' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:47 AM']I had an SR500 for a long while (5-pc wenge/bubinga neck on mine), which I fitted with Nordstrand Big Singles to replace the Bart MK1s.
I'd avoid the mahogany body ones as they are heavier and the tone seems quite dark, regardless of pickups. I could never get a particularly Fender-esque tone from it no matter which pickups were in there, though the EQ is versatile enough - the pickups just aren't in the right places. I tried what was probably an SR600 in a shop once and it was significantly lighter, that'd be the one I'd go for. But if I wanted proper precision/jazz sounds, I'd look elsewhere.[/quote]

Thanks for your insight & feedback. Im really only after a lightweight bass guitar with p bass passive tone. I guess looking elsewhere is the next step...but where?

[quote name='mashup' post='1315525' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:57 AM']Thanks for your insight & feedback. Im really only after a lightweight bass guitar with p bass passive tone. I guess looking elsewhere is the next step...but where?[/quote]

To qualify my previous post though, a passive p bass tone is one I've never really been able to capture on the SR. It's an active bass with soapbar pick ups which may be why.

I've found you can get Fender-ish tones, on my two SRs, but being a different instrument, you're never going to get that exact same tone - there're just too many variables involved that are different. As someone's already stated, they're active pickups with an active EQ for a start.

I haven't tried the SR1200 range, but they look amazing value for money. I'm intrigued with the Nordstrand pickups and would be interested to hear how they sound. These look to have the same components as the Japanese-made Prestige basses, but made in Indonesia and therefore somewhat cheaper.

While there is obviously some variation in the different models, as a result of different woods etc, Ibanez SR basses are generally some of the lighter instruments out there, so depending on what you're used to, you should find them easier on the back.

As an aside, I think the lightest bass I've ever tried is one of these: -

[url="http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-basses/rbx/rbx4a2_black/?mode=model"]Yamaha RBX4 A2[/url]

Edited by geilerbass

[quote name='mashup' post='1315213' date='Jul 24 2011, 09:58 PM']Thanks for your responses so far. I'm hopefully going to try a few SR's this week. My current bass is a G&L L2000 which i am having to sell due to weight & back problems :) Sad times[/quote]

I'm in the market for a new bass and, weirdly enough, my current two favoured options are either an SR600 or a G&L L2000... :)

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='1315801' date='Jul 25 2011, 03:06 PM']If you have an ash l-2000 (not swamp ash) any of them will be MUCH lighter tbh, even a tribute l-2000 will be considerably lighter with it's swamp ash body.[/quote]

Im not sure how i would decipher this though through the thick finish

I have just (re-)bought a Westone Thunder Jet bass. Unlike it's heavier cousin the Thunder1A, this is made of alder and weighs just 8lbs, single split coil pup, passive. I just changed mine from passive to active but left alone as a passive with a pick up upgrade (the stock ones were pretty weak IMO) that would do P-Bass sounds. Look pretty cool, too - that stealth look always does it for me. Excellent value for money - I paid £77 for this one! - when they come up, but finding one might not be easy. Extremely well made instruments - fantastic neck, thinner than a P-Bass but not quite as skinny as a Jazz.

Edited by Paul S

I ran my SR500 (both with the stock pickups and the Nordstrand Big Singles) active and passive wired VVT like a standard jazz. The difference between active (but flat) and passive was subtle - very subtle indeed with the Barts, bit more obvious with the Nordstrands but still the same fundamental non-Fender sound.

But I have just remembered that if you look at the SR series with soapbar pickups from the last few years, the pickup position has shifted. Mine (2003/4 model?) had them both closer to the bridge than later versions. If the current ones have them closer to what you'd get on a jazz/P then you may find you get closer to the tone you want.

My Aerodyne (basswood) is pretty light, something like that, perhaps kitted out with ultralite tuners, might do the job and would give you the sound you're after.

Hi

I'm new to bass chat but I've had an Ibanez sr1000 for 4 years very happy with it. It was one of the cheapest decent throughnecks on the market when I was looking to purchase. Very versatile used for jazz funk rock. The monorail bridge is a great addition. Very light. Although it does have a very thin neck - was not an issue for me and my playing style.

Currently looking for a warwick thumb as possible upgrade.

stan

I have a SR500, I got it because of a back and neck problem, it plays and sounds great, and very versatile with so many tones available.

The neck is lightening fast, it's well balanced, and weighs just [b]6.5lbs[/b]!

I have owned many very good basses in the past, and still do, but my SR500 is definitely my favourite.

I have just purchased another one, which I am now modding, and I also have a SR505 5-string.

The two SR500's cost me a total of £470 s/h, but both in pristine condition, and the SR505 cost £400, and was only two weeks old.

That's how much I like them!