Why become a member? ×

Pickups

AKA

I'm after some advice guys, i've got a project on revamping my lefty westone thunder 1 and the last thing to
change is the pickups, now to me the size of the existing pickups look in similar size to the fender P-bass pickups,
so my query for any advice is, does anybody know if it is possible to fit original Fender P-bass pickups into the body
of a westone thunder 1? :)
also if it is possible is there any particular year model that i should be looking for?

hope you guys can help as the old westone is starting to look very cool but its in need of a heart transplant!!!

will put some pic's up on here when it is finished. :)

Andy

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1315063' date='Jul 24 2011, 08:08 PM']Here's the standard dimensions off the SD site.... sorry they are in old money....

[/quote]

That looks spot on with wot i've got, :) so size wise thats looking good,
my guitar has 1 volume knob n 1 tone knob, which i think is pretty standard with
on the P-bass, so will have a look about for some decent pickups now

many thanks.

Andy :)

There's a useful comparison of some P-bass pickups here: [url="http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/multimedia"]http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/multimedia[/url]. The GFS ones certainly sound good (no Wizards though, and no Fralins).

One thing i want to add if you do go for a Wizard. Ive written about this a few times but my Wizard Thumper was not the same size as the SD pup listed above, and this caused me problems with the PG on my Squier.

The Thumper case was just a bit larger than a standard (Fender/SD) pup and it meant i had to file the PG down. This was with the stock PG and one brought on line. Both have the same spec's and would easily fit a SD/Fender pup.

Im sure it will be fine but just wanted to point this out, especially as the Westone doesn't have a PG so might need a bit more work. Im also sure this isnt the norm for Wizards.

Fantastic bass by the way, i had one when they first came out.

• 1 month later...