Why become a member? ×

Fender Telecaster Bass 1972

Hi All,

More recent extravagance means another of the collection needs to go - this time my translucent blonde '72 Telecaster Bass. 100% original with original case.

Its in fantastic condition and like all great T basses, has the most amazing THUMP....prepare your ears !

Original hang-tag also and the case is pristine.

There is some tarnishing to the tuners and the bridge chrome is flaking slightly. There is also some slight fade in the finish where a previous owner had the bridge cover on upside down....although this is very difficult to see. The only chip in the finish is on the edge of the body to the left of the bridge cover (which can be seen in the pics).

These are minor points, but want to give a full description.

I'm looking for [s]£1,850 [/s] £1,600 including UK postage and please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Cheers, Si

Edited by 353203

[quote name='specialbass' post='1315014' date='Jul 24 2011, 07:18 PM']Fantastic looking bass mate - me and my Horace Panter obsession will have to try and raise some cash !! :)[/quote]

Thanks SpecialBass - i also love The Specials if that helps :)

[quote name='tredders' post='1319877' date='Jul 28 2011, 11:15 PM']Is that a Precision B profile neck on this? Why had I got it in my head that Tele basses had big chunky necks?

(And when you say 'sensible offers', what's your definition of sensible? :)[/quote]

Hey Mark, I think most people who've played an early '70s Tele will agree that they have some of the most playable necks Fender ever put on a bass. I'm not sure exactly what it is about them, but man, they are good; big and solid for sure, but deceptively fast and easy (and yes, B-width, certainly not C, or at least, none of those I've played were Cs). Teles are a real man's bass, I so wish I'd kept mine.

Goes without saying that you can buy in confidence from Si also.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1319884' date='Jul 28 2011, 11:21 PM']Hey Mark, I think most people who've played an early '70s Tele will agree that they have some of the most playable necks Fender ever put on a bass. I'm not sure exactly what it is about them, but man, they are good; big and solid for sure, but deceptively fast and easy (and yes, B-width, certainly not C, or at least, none of those I've played were Cs). Teles are a real man's bass, I so wish I'd kept mine.

Goes without saying that you can buy in confidence from Si also.

C[/quote]

Cheers Chris. I almost wish you'd told me the necks were horrible, slow and difficult to play though :)

[quote name='tredders' post='1319890' date='Jul 28 2011, 11:27 PM']Cheers Chris. I almost wish you'd told me the necks were horrible, slow and difficult to play though :)[/quote]

This one has a particularly fantastic neck....although i would say that, wouldn't i :)

[quote name='353203' post='1329893' date='Aug 6 2011, 01:42 PM']Bumping with the help of a pic alongside the reason for the sale :)[/quote]

You weren't lying when you said the new one is immaculate. That's unbelievable!

[quote name='353203' post='1312426' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:11 AM']Hi All,

More recent extravagance means another of the collection needs to go - this time my translucent blonde '72 Telecaster Bass. 100% original with original case.

Its in fantastic condition and like all great T basses, has the most amazing THUMP....prepare your ears !

Original hang-tag also and the case is pristine.

There is some tarnishing to the tuners and the bridge chrome is flaking slightly. There is also some slight fade in the finish where a previous owner had the bridge cover on upside down....although this is very difficult to see. The only chip in the finish is on the edge of the body to the left of the bridge cover (which can be seen in the pics).

These are minor points, but want to give a full description.

I'm looking for £1,850 including UK postage and please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Cheers, Si[/quote]

[quote name='bremen' post='1330171' date='Aug 6 2011, 06:28 PM']Is it a Tele bass on the first album? Awesome sound.[/quote]

'72 Precision on the first album, apparently. Horace had his Tele bass nicked after a gig in Coventry a little later.

[quote name='tredders' post='1330166' date='Aug 6 2011, 06:25 PM']You weren't lying when you said the new one is immaculate. That's unbelievable![/quote]

Thanks Mark :)

I read Horace's book last year and didn't he buy another T bass (a black one ?) in New York for about £100 to replace the stolen one ?

My memory is as good as my bass playing !!