Why become a member? ×

DR Strings - Problems and no response from them in over 2 months.

xilddx

[quote name='4000' post='1338223' date='Aug 12 2011, 09:51 PM']Every time I've tried to buy Hotwires (bar one) Dawn can't find the price list, isn't sure what they've got in, will get back to me (never does), etc etc. I've never had a single good experience with her, sorry.[/quote]

I've found ordering them via website, arrived within a working day, everytime.
Great strings and service, but perhaps I've been lucky.
Karl.

I think I'm about to give up - not on DR but on trying out different brands. I find myself repeating what I did in the 90's only to come to the conclusion that I just love the tone and feel of DR Fat Beams - to me they're simply the best there is. However, in the event that I come across more duff strings I will complain with my dealer (Strings and Beyond - great service there) or contact DR directly.

Also very glad to see DR interacting in this thread. :)

Just been on the phone to Stringbusters. The chap I spoke with thought there should be a shipment arriving within the next few days: apparently they arrive in the UK every 2 months. He also said that they are selling a lot more recently, and that it was difficult to keep up with increased demand.

One more thing - he mentioned an issue with 'fakes', although didn't go into details. Could that explain why sometimes a set seems to be 'dead'?

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1345612' date='Aug 19 2011, 04:33 PM']One more thing - he mentioned an issue with 'fakes', although didn't go into details. Could that explain why sometimes a set seems to be 'dead'?[/quote]

I think DR respsonded to the fakes issue by saying the pack should be sealed etc..
Following on what he said about fakes, I was pretty sure mine didn't adhere..but how hard is it to fake a sealed pack..if you have done everything else to look the part..?

Speaking of stringbusters, I popped in there a couple of weeks ago after having a revolution moment with Fender's 7250-5 nickel strings. I've been totally DR for the last 5 years ago then had a punt on the Fender as they were less than half the price of the Hi-Beams. I bought three sets and won't be going back to DR. They're apparently made by Fender in their own factory and have colour-coded ball-ends like D'addarios. Worth checking out as an alternative

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1344681' date='Aug 18 2011, 06:14 PM']I had 2 sets od D'addario ProSteel XL's that had issues with the E string, in the first set the E was dead straight out the packet, the second set was fine at first but the E died after one gig, the A,D and G were still bright but the E was completely shot. I just put it down to a blip in their QC but decided i'd drop them an email today anyway. Had a reply from George within an hour, gave him the serial no's from the bags and got 2 complimentary new sets on the way. Can't complain about that sort of customer service![/quote]
Update:
2 new sets of ProSteel's arrived this morning, thats less than 48 hours from when i sent the first email!! Also a nice personal note in the pack offering their sincere apologies. Other companies could certainly learn from this level of customer service!

• 4 weeks later...

Qucik update:

I emailed Anthony at DR and he said he'd send out a new .115 string immediately, but it would obviously take a while coming from america. Well I found a USPS box shoved behind a plant pot this morning (thank you royal mail....) so I've no idea when they arrived but the new .115 he'd promised and an entirely new pack have arrived. Very impressed.

I got my new bass and it came strung with Black Beauties. The B string had a strange sharp lump on it - like the coating had clumped and solidified. Emailed Anthony and he immediately offered to send a replacement string to me. Hopefully that's on the way.

I'm told the supply issue in the UK is being resolved too as a new distributor has just been appointed (String & Things I believe). Maybe on going supply issues were with the distributor and not DR?