Why become a member? ×

little bit of info please

stef030

I have at home a squier jazz made in korea that I bought about
twenty something years ago,
fella said to me today that they fetch good money these days, :) :)
in comparison to todays ones
I always thought that a squier was a squier
so is this fella right or am I
any help would be greatly recieved,
oh
its white with a white scratchplate,rosewood neck

cheers
stef

They are considered "good" ones but don't seem to suffer from the inflated prices that the Japanese ones get priced at on eBay. I think I've seen a Korean go for £260 at the most, I'd keep it.

If you've had it 20 years it must be doing something right.

thanks for the replies,
nah the old girl wont be going anywhere,
I bought back then because I wanted to stop using
my 69 jazz at gigs,in fear of something happening to it,
and it felt you know nice,lol
and just grew on me and played really well,and finances at the time would not
allow me another old one,
and yet in complete contrast,I have a mim precision which I dislike witha
vengance,just sits there unused and dare I say it unloved,what fickle peeps we are,

cheers
stef

I had one of the original JV serial number Squiers but sold it (well, traded it in at the Bass Centre) a few years ago.
The guy in the workshop, (Chris) told me that it was the neck thats the valuable part, apparently they were made in the same factory as the real Fender necks.
For what its worth i got £300 trade in, and this was for a bass that cost me £199 but had all the hardware changed to gold Schaller (well, it was the 80's) and a different pup in it.
I think the next version is the SQ serial number, not sure what they are worth.

My view is that while the basses have definitely gone up in value, from their initial price, they arent worth stupid money like some people have been asking for. The competition in this price area is huge and you can get better basses for less money now.

Then again, if some one wants one they will pay for it.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1311027' date='Jul 21 2011, 12:03 AM']Dont make em like they used to. Applies to most things. Standards tend to slip rather than get better.[/quote]
I'm really not sure I entirely agree with this. You've only got to consider some of the absolutely dire 70's examples that are out there to realise that Fender's QC was all over the shop by the end of the decade. It remains the lowest point in Fender's production.

As for the Korean Squiers, it's worth bearing in mind that the Japanese Silver Series Squiers were introduced precisely because of a perceived drop in quality of the Korean models. It didn't help matters that Yamaha advertised their Pacifica 112s by showing a picture of a stripped plywood Squier. Having said that, there were three factories involved in the Korean production between the late eighties and mid nineties, of which the later Cort models are often said to be the best.

But the myth that age=quality persists, and with the oldest Korean models approaching vintage status it's no surprise that the prices are starting to climb. Nothing beats trying the instrument first to determine whether it's any good, something that applies to a US Fender as much a Korean one.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1362055' date='Sep 4 2011, 07:07 PM']I just paid £75 for a Korean Squier Precision from EBay which i think is an 86 model. Its pretty beat up and ugly. I love it. Gets as much use as my other basses.[/quote]
Korean production didn't start until 1987. What's the serial number?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1311197' date='Jul 21 2011, 08:36 AM']I had one of the original JV serial number Squiers but ... traded it in at the Bass Centre ... The guy in the workshop, (Chris) told me that it was the neck thats the valuable part, apparently they were made in the same factory as the real Fender necks.[/quote]
There are different versions of the story, but it's widely understood that FujiGen sourced an order of necks based on vintage Fender specifications from Atlansia, which already had experience of replicating Fender necks as it had been supplying Tokai (for Tokai's Fender clones: the clones which originally panicked Fender into striking a deal with Yamano/Kanda Shokai, and creating Fender Japan). Among Japanese musical instrument manufacturers Atlansia are one of the most highly rated producers of necks, so it's no surprise that those instruments fitted with an Atlansia neck are highly prized.

It's also rumoured that, after CBS sold the Fender brand to the then management, but not the manufacturing facilities, the new management sourced an order of necks from Atlansia for instruments to be branded "Made in USA".