Why become a member? ×

Getting A Better Jazz Bass Tone

spongebob

Some good suggestions. I recently lowered the neck PuP on a jazz bass and even though the adjustment was minimal the difference was quite pronounced. It led to a more even distribution of output which led to more comfort when playing. Took 1 minute to achieve!

What an awesome thread where people are recommending adjustments instead of buying new parts to try and purchase tone :)

Since the OP wants more low end and highs the VPF filter could be the answer. It is a scoop knob and I don't use it but it sounds like what you are asking for. Once you try it you may ask for something different but it will boost the extremes. I'd also agree with rolling off the bridge pickup a bit or even all the way for what I consider the closest to a P tone on a J.

If you have both pickups on a Jazz full on they will cancel each other out which will result in some loss of volume and tone, so you always have to back one off a little.

I would think you're main problem is the "2 rock guitarists"! I think you're amp is basically a 500 watt LM2 through 2 12's which should be good for most situations, but if these guys are doing the usual "rock wall of sound" most bass players will have trouble cutting through.

I ran my LM2 with everything at 12 o'clock and the filters off but I usually only play with 1 loud "non-rock" guitarist.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I can give the ideas a try - I was just a little surprise as how easy the Precision cut right through both guitars compared to the Jazz.

Maybe should just stick to the P - it was like a sledgehammer! The Jazz being more polite, as has been mentioned above, probably better in a 'one guitar' situation....maybe that's why I've not seen masses of loud dual guitar bands featuring Jazz-playing basses?

Prepare myself for a list now of which I'm bound to be corrected!!!

Edited by spongebob

Could always add a soapbar/single coil to the bridge position on your P bass and wire it up like a J? Works a treat, the P provides plenty of low end and midrange character and the bridge pup just adds a bit of definition when you add a touch of it.

[quote name='Ross' post='1311829' date='Jul 21 2011, 05:52 PM']I play all kinds of combinations, best way is to experiment.
If you're really getting buried, turn it up louder![/quote]

yes to experiment
no to just turn up louder... it's an escalation from which there is no way back, leading to muddy inhumane categories of sonic hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a PS here - took the Ged to rehearsal last night.

Used the info given here, and from a similar topic over on TB.

Difference was astounding - like a different bass. Loads of top, middle and bottom. Really cut through whatever the 2 guitarists threw at it. A small tweak of the bass control and amp EQ.....total transformation, and heaps of presence.

Proves what a bass the Jazz is....the Ged now safely re-instated as my no.1 bass around!

[quote name='spongebob' post='1324576' date='Aug 2 2011, 05:35 PM']Bit of a PS here - took the Ged to rehearsal last night.

Difference was astounding - like a different bass. Loads of top, middle and bottom. Really cut through whatever the 2 guitarists threw at it. A small tweak of the bass control and amp EQ.....total transformation, and heaps of presence.

Proves what a bass the Jazz is....the Ged now safely re-instated as my no.1 bass around![/quote]

It's good to see that the outcome of one of these threads is positive :)

• 6 months later...

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1312302943' post='1324576']
Bit of a PS here - took the Ged to rehearsal last night.

Proves what a bass the Jazz is....the Ged now safely re-instated as my no.1 bass around!
[/quote]

Great news! It also shows that many people are far too quick to go down the upgrade/replacement route without first exploring the simple options.

You could always take Ged's own advice, and use "Different Strings"... :D