Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another I quit a sh1t band thread

Dave Vader

[quote name='TimR' post='1308789' date='Jul 19 2011, 08:59 AM']I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every originals band that is serious about it needs a manager and a producer, AND needs to listen to them.

There's a lot of misguided talent out there, it's a shame.[/quote]
There are also an equal number of managers and producers who you can end up wasting time and money with. I find myself agreeing with Nigel in that life and time is short. Kick out the slackers and move on. One door closes and another opens and all that...

That's a real shame Dave. I listened to the single and thought if I could catch a gig I'd drop along.

Unfortunately in North Devon there seems to be a ready supply of 'muso's' that are nothing but incompetent but regard themselves as near pro. (For the record I know I'm incompetent :)).

Musically it's dominated by folk, blues and rock covers band (like what I'm in). Originals bands are few and far between, good original bands are very rare.

Just awful isn't it..........

[quote name='Marvin' post='1309538' date='Jul 19 2011, 07:30 PM']Unfortunately in North Devon there seems to be a ready supply of 'muso's' that are nothing but incompetent but regard themselves as near pro. (For the record I know I'm incompetent :)).[/quote]

Hey, I resemble that comment :) :lol:

Will find some guys from the old days later on (probably next year now) when all has calmed down, and do something less ambitious, and more fun, and creative, and interesting, and cool. Exeter open mic nights beware, I'm coming back.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1309076' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:07 PM']Possibly a different thread, but why don't people practice at home? Every Tuesday I get a note from our guitarist confirming that he's forgotten everything we worked on the previous Weds; he's not touched his guitar; and we'll need the first half of the session to catch-up and work it all out.

Every Tuesday; as a pre-amble to rehearsal every Wednesday.

I've fired an e-mail back to the effect that groveling this early in the day gives him tonight to sort this sh*te out.[/quote]

I'd have sacked them a long time ago. Any wasted time spent with the band is time that I'm [i]not[/i] spending with my family.

[quote name='TimR' post='1308789' date='Jul 19 2011, 08:59 AM']I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every originals band that is serious about it needs a manager and a producer, AND needs to listen to them.

There's a lot of misguided talent out there, it's a shame.[/quote]

Serious about being good- Don't need a manager/producer
Serious about "making it" (whatever that is)- Yes you do.

It is possible to be in a superb originals band and just do it because you enjoy it.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1310365' date='Jul 20 2011, 02:50 PM']Serious about being good- Don't need a manager/producer
Serious about "making it" (whatever that is)- Yes you do.

It is possible to be in a superb originals band and just do it because you enjoy it.[/quote]

The manager can be anyone, even the guitarist, but they need to "manage". Anyone with a diary, access to a phone and an ability to organise a few people. The OP eventually had to get the drummer to ring the venue to find out if the gig was on. Who was actually 'managing' the band? Maybe the manager is different for each gig it doesn't matter, someone has to organise the band.

Likewise the producer can be anyone. It's all well and good everyone having an input into lines but eventually someone has to have overall say in what makes the final production - whether that be a performance or recording. There are loads of examples of originals bands who produce tunes crammed full of overplaying; unnecessary notes and drum fills.I suspect we've all been in bands where a song never ever gets finished and is continually modified.

Ultimately I play in originals bands because I like playing original songs. We can all get a bit precious about playing an original bass line but there's only so many combinations of root, counter point, choice of passing notes, harmony and doubling that will complement a song. Granted if the guitarist just controls it and says play roots or double my part it can get very frustrating but at least I would hope that there is someone with vision who knows what they want.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1310365' date='Jul 20 2011, 02:50 PM']It is possible to be in a superb originals band and just do it because you enjoy it.[/quote]

Is what was hoping for, to expect to "make it" whatever that means, is fairly unrealistic when you get the wrong side of 34...

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1311263' date='Jul 21 2011, 10:27 AM']Is what was hoping for, to expect to "make it" whatever that means, is fairly unrealistic when you get the wrong side of 34...[/quote]

In my case "making it" is playing a good set in front of an appreciative audience.

BUT I suspect 9/10 times it will end up with you being the producer, manager and bass player, and in a few cases van driver, light and PA owner/operator, and website builder.

While being able to just turn up and play bass [i]should[/i] be the case, it rarely is.

[quote name='TimR' post='1311452' date='Jul 21 2011, 12:50 PM']In my case "making it" is playing a good set in front of an appreciative audience.

BUT I suspect 9/10 times it will end up with you being the producer, manager and bass player, and in a few cases van driver, light and PA owner/operator, and website builder.

While being able to just turn up and play bass [i]should[/i] be the case, it rarely is.[/quote]

I aspire to these things as well. Good set will do me, not bothered about the audience :)

Just for once that last band was one where I could just turn up and play bass (the only one where I'm not doing one or all the above jobs). Maybe I was too hasty.... nope.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1310162' date='Jul 20 2011, 11:49 AM']I'd have sacked them a long time ago. Any wasted time spent with the band is time that I'm [i]not[/i] spending with my family.[/quote]

I suspect that might bring out a bad case of "this is my band", which would be rather ridiculous between the three of us, but there you go.

On the bright side, he had rehearsed after my grumble yesterday - and the whole session was a definite improvement. I gave a bit of the old "I told you so" on the way out :)