Why become a member? ×

John East Retro Deluxe Preamp

woodyratm

Hey guys - hoping someone can give me some advise here.

Recently bought a jazz with a j-retro deluxe. Very nice feeling bass, but when i plug it in, it snarls at me.
Even when its in passive mode i get an intense distortion out of it. I've tried playing around with it, but i'm struggling to tame this beast!

If i could tame her, then i can try her with my pedals and incorporate the 5 string fun into my new stuff.

So does anyone know how to dial a sound that isint going to eat my face?

It depends how the passive mode is wired through the rest of the system. As I understand it the jack socket with a jack plugged in acts as an on switch, so it could very well need a fresh battery. Hard to tell without being to hear it.

If that fails, try the gain in the amp, this new bass may be particularly hot in output.

If that fails I suggest sending an email to whom ever sold it to you.

If it's not the battery or amp gain, something is up.

I've recently had a J-Retro fitted, and it's a very hot output indeed, even compared to a G&L L2000 which is well-known for umph!

As mentioned above, once you've made sure the battery's fresh, I'd fiddle with the gain adjuster (small micro-screw on the PCB) and back it right off, and then see how that does you.

[quote name='woodyratm' post='1300601' date='Jul 12 2011, 08:09 AM']Cheers folks - i'll try tonight :)[/quote]

If you still have problems, drop John East an email. He is exceptionally helpful, responds quickly, and is really passionate about his products.

Guest McBass

I have the j retro deluxe in both my American Deluxe jazz basses,they are fine.Sounds like something is a miss there.Email or ring John,he's a top bloke.

• 3 weeks later...