Why become a member? ×

SOLD ! PBC Fretless 5

walplayer

Now Spld

PBC Bunker 355 handmade by Dave Bunker snr. mid 90's

Alder body ,maple top,ebony fingerboard .
Tension free neck is the most comfortable i've played and gives great sustain
(dave built the u.s. atk basses and guitars for ibanez also)
Finish is a difficult one to capture aqua ,meets blue fading to purple
Emg pick ups 2 volumes and stacked bass and treble
Not heavy due to the selected woods .
Individual bridges that actually go through the body with fine tuners .
Because of the nature of the floating neck,the bass can be converted to a headless also
a kit is available to buy .
Pains me to sell this as it's a lovely instrument.
On hold

Edited by walplayer

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1369252' date='Sep 11 2011, 11:40 AM']Could you explain in a little more detail the features of this neck and how it works?[/quote]

I'll do my best !
Dave Bunker started designing this in the 50's with engineers from boeing when he worked there .
The neck is in two parts and doesn't have a normal truss rod set-up .
The headstock is joined to a cold steel bar which anchors at around the 19th fret .
This results in no tension or stress fom open to around just past point .
So imagine the neck part that you play as a sleeve .(If you took a chisel and chipped away the fingerboard and neck with bass strung up ,the bass would still be in tune as there's no tension on that part ).
So theres a hole on the side for the anchor point ,and hex key access on the back of the body at the heel into the neck for relief adjustment .There's not as much adjustment as a normal truss rod ,but it isn't needed as being tension free there's almost no movement.
The noticeable results of all this are
Increased sustain (and at a lower action ),much more comfortable neck profile ,Slightly less tension on the strings and the notes are very even across the range ,though that is also in part due to the thru body individual bridge saddles.
You can also get a headless kit ,the nut is attached to the steel bar and you convert the fine tuners into actual full tensioning tuners.
Hope that explains it ,just ask if anything i missed :-)

Here's more pics hopefully showing what i described .(This pretty same neck arrangement as the Ibanez us atk)

The retaining screw access point

Relief adjustment point (though it looks black here the back of bass is actually dark purple translucent)

Headstock nut and Steel bar fit into neck sleeve

[quote name='supabock' post='1371034' date='Sep 12 2011, 08:24 PM']What an absolutely interesting bass so in reality, how does it sound, do you have any clips we can all have a listen to??[/quote]

and what is the scale length?

[quote name='supabock' post='1371034' date='Sep 12 2011, 08:24 PM']What an absolutely interesting bass so in reality, how does it sound, do you have any clips we can all have a listen to??[/quote]

I haven't sorry .Maybe not much help ,but the bassist from the fugees used a fretted h'less version (rasta coloured paint job) ,if you look on you tube,sounds similar in the mid note range.

Scale is 34" jpj

Edited by walplayer

I can both vouch for the quality of the bass and seller, Pete bought my fretless ray5 last week.and brought this bass for me to hav a look at as it's a rarity...

Pete is a great guy, v good for a natter, a pleasure to hav in my home.

The bass plays beautifully and sounds huge! The neck feels amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I went round to pete's the other night and had a play on this, as pete is pretty local to me.

The fingerboard and neck are gorgeous :) and very easy to play. One of the nices t bits of ebony I've seen.

If I had the funds I'd be snapping it up, but alas it's just come at the wrong time for me.

Pete is a top guy to deal with too, was a pleasure making his acquaintance.

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1317809196' post='1394735']
Hey Andy, that red Stingray 5 fretless you sold to Pete was very nice too :)
[/quote]

I know, a lovely thing indeed! I wanted an EUB though so something had to go...(kept my fretted ray 5)