Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG300 115 EVO II combo..

Rusco

Hi there, I’ve been looking for something with a bit more oooomph to keep up with 2 guitarists and a drummer for larger practice sessions.

My criteria is mainly size based as for now it has to fit in an Audi A4 boot and ideally I don’t want to spend a fortune as my bass playing is more hobby / for fun. These seem to tick most boxes and I noticed they crop up 2nd hand for £200 odd but I’ve also read some mixed reviews

I wondered what the general opinion is on them ?

Cheers..

Ive still got my MAG300 C-115 (from before they got the EVO tag) and did loads of pretty loud gigs with it, all without PA support. I did find i needed to push it a bit, and this of course led to a bit of a dirty tone but overall it worked well.
I found that i preferred the tone of the MAG over the ABM i had and felt that the MAG was (or seemed) louder than the ABM rated the same.

I guess the type of music played will make a difference, if its loud rock i doubt it will hold its own against two stacks but you could always ask them to turn down :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1294342' date='Jul 6 2011, 09:19 AM']Ive still got my MAG300 C-115 (from before they got the EVO tag) and did loads of pretty loud gigs with it, all without PA support. I did find i needed to push it a bit, and this of course led to a bit of a dirty tone but overall it worked well.
I found that i preferred the tone of the MAG over the ABM i had and felt that the MAG was (or seemed) louder than the ABM rated the same.

I guess the type of music played will make a difference, if its loud rock i doubt it will hold its own against two stacks but you could always ask them to turn down :)[/quote]

Or just use the DI which works really well...

I just recently sold a mint condition one on BC few weeks ago. Never been gigged and bought new. Still had the receipts.
MAG300 115 & a 2x10 deep for £275.
The guy was over the moon.

Only reason i got rid of it was car boot size was an issue.
Make sure you measure the boot opening as well as the boot size itself. That's where i made the mistake.
Still i wanted a new amp anyways.

Can't really fault the amp. It had a nice warm sound and plenty of oomph. I reckon i had it for 7yrs and it was time for a change.

Never had any trouble with it but it is a heavy and well built little monster.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1294683' date='Jul 6 2011, 01:12 PM']Never had any trouble with it but it is a heavy and well built little monster.

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Damn right. Ive replaced the driver in mine last year because the original one stopped working (when it was on loan to another band). Ive been tempted to fit a Neo driver in it but i dont really use it any more.

Looks like we both went from MAG to STL600, via a few other heads no doubt :-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1294689' date='Jul 6 2011, 01:18 PM']Damn right. Ive replaced the driver in mine last year because the original one stopped working (when it was on loan to another band). Ive been tempted to fit a Neo driver in it but i dont really use it any more.

Looks like we both went from MAG to STL600, via a few other heads no doubt :-)[/quote]

Hi Dave
Yep went from MAG to GB same time as yourself in fact we were following the same thread for a while on the loose mains connector.

Love the GB amp. Can't fault it at all apart from the 20 second warm up which bugs me as i keep forgetting about it and all of a sudden it bursts into life just as I've cranked my bass vol up to see why no sound. :)
Went for the 2nd Berg cab though. The one Berg AE112 looked so lonely on its own
Still have my Warwick head which I'm now keeping as a live back-up - well you never know ? :lol:

Not to hijack the thread i would agree the MAG was a great amp and more than enough volume than i ever needed. Although it was never actually gigged i did use it at a couple of jam sessions with friends. Reasonable volume but nothing serious. Coped easily.

Cheers
Dave
:)

Edited by dmccombe7

Thanks for the replies. I tried lifting one in my local music shop and they are heavy but I'm assuming thats more the nature of bass amps rather than just this particular one model. The other option is the seperate MAG cab/amp but the cab didn't feel a whole lot lighter to me in reality.

Yes I will measure the size of my car boot opening first, good point.. thanks.

Sounds like a winner then (boot allowing..)

Cheers.

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1294803' date='Jul 6 2011, 03:06 PM']Hi Dave
Yep went from MAG to GB same time as yourself in fact we were following the same thread for a while on the loose mains connector.

Love the GB amp. Can't fault it at all apart from the 20 second warm up which bugs me as i keep forgetting about it and all of a sudden it bursts into life just as I've cranked my bass vol up to see why no sound. :)

Cheers
Dave
:)[/quote]

Ah yes, Gareth's STL900 thread. Glad he got that sorted. Im selling my STL600 now, i just cant get on with it, back to MarkBass for me.

Rusco. Good luck with the tape measure. Hopefully it will fit. These amps have gainded a few new features since they were released and offer even better value for money now.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1295940' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:20 PM']Ah yes, Gareth's STL900 thread. Glad he got that sorted. Im selling my STL600 now, i just cant get on with it, back to MarkBass for me.

Rusco. Good luck with the tape measure. Hopefully it will fit. These amps have gainded a few new features since they were released and offer even better value for money now.[/quote]

Markbass was another option for me but the GB just seemed more suited to what i was looking for with the tube pre-amp.
I'm pretty pleased with mine i have to say.

Good luck with your search for a new amp and I'll keep an eye on your progress to see what you go for - I'm curious now. :)

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1296481' date='Jul 7 2011, 09:23 PM']Markbass was another option for me but the GB just seemed more suited to what i was looking for with the tube pre-amp.
I'm pretty pleased with mine i have to say.

Good luck with your search for a new amp and I'll keep an eye on your progress to see what you go for - I'm curious now. :)

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Cheers.

I already have a F1 so thats going to be my main head unless i can get a F500. No other head interests me.

Dave, OT but have you considered the Shuttle 9.0?

Its a little more towards the F500/F1 tone...very crisp, clear, and precise.

I do miss my LM3 every now and then, mainly because I quite like the whole Markbass 'design'...but for now I wouldnt mind seeing if a LM4 comes out.

Cheers Gareth.
To be honestI'mm not really looking for another head,I'mm selling the STL600 as i prefer the F1 and quite happy to just have the F1. The F500 would be nicer though. If i got a F500 i would then sell the F1.
Saying that, who knows what will happen in a month or so. The Shuttle does look nice but i too like the whole Markbass Design.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1296540' date='Jul 7 2011, 10:13 PM']Cheers Gareth.
To be honestI'mm not really looking for another head,I'mm selling the STL600 as i prefer the F1 and quite happy to just have the F1. The F500 would be nicer though. If i got a F500 i would then sell the F1.
Saying that, who knows what will happen in a month or so. The Shuttle does look nice but i too like the whole Markbass Design.[/quote]

Yeah, its expensive gear, and simple, but a great flat tone.

All I want is a LM4, same power, same design, with semi-para mids, headphone out, aux in, button mute, and same price or lower. Then Id be happy to buy again.