Why become a member? ×

Double NBD !

Machines

Took a trip to Warwick today to see Mark at Bass Direct. Got there at 10.30 and left at 4.30 ! Never have I known 6 hours of my life go so quickly. Took my Overwater Progress III Deluxe which I've never been truly in love with in the thought of trading it in for something else. Played a lot of amazing instruments, I don't think there's anywhere else in the country with such diversity of brands in such a small space.

I played a lot of instruments and just seeing what I liked the feel and sound of, in the end it was apparent I couldn't decide between 2 and needed a 5 string regardless - so I present to you, the G&L L2000 Tribute and a Overwater (by Tanglewood) Contemporary J5. The Progress will be remembered but these 2 are overshadowing it tonally already.

The construction and finish of these instruments is hard to find fault with (give me a few days though !) and the value for money of them is astounding. The G&L is a tone monster and very versatile, the Overwater is surprisingly bright and not at all like a Jazz in sound. I'll record some clips of both in the coming days hopefully. There were a lot of single instruments in the same price bracket as the Progress I could have gone for but in the end these 2 were on par with them. After some haggling with Mark we struck a deal and they both came with me. I am one very happy T-101. There will be a separate thread tomorrow about everything else I checked out (lots of pics !).

[size=1]Phone pics not ideal but i'm lazy till tomorrow :)[/size]

[attachment=83854:NBD1.jpg]

[attachment=83855:NBD2.jpg]

These overwater tanglewoods are looking more and more tempting, I want to try one, but the guy in denmark street didn't seem too keen to help last time i was there, not actually been to the bass gallery yet, do they have?

EDIT: And congratulations on the pair, they look rather lovely together too!

Edited by dc2009

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1289693' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:55 PM']Did you try the Mayones Jabba 5 Classic? Im still gassing to try one, we got stuck in the snow trying to get to Marks before christmas so I just bought the first 5 I liked (Yup the Ray5 :) )[/quote]
Sorry I didn't, but it did look gorgeous.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1289719' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:21 PM']You've just re-awakened my L2000 GAS. I hope you're proud of yourself.[/quote]
I make no apologies !

[quote name='dc2009' post='1289741' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:54 PM']These overwater tanglewoods are looking more and more tempting, I want to try one, but the guy in denmark street didn't seem too keen to help last time i was there, not actually been to the bass gallery yet, do they have?[/quote]
Not sure about Denmark St but Mark did have 2 of these, get there and try one out ! Just don't expect it to sound like a Jazz bass.

[quote name='Machines' post='1289885' date='Jul 2 2011, 09:40 AM']Just don't expect it to sound like a Jazz bass.[/quote]

Don't worry, I won't!

What do you say it most sounds like? Of the major brands, or is it a very unique sound of it's own?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1290009' date='Jul 2 2011, 12:40 PM']Don't worry, I won't!

What do you say it most sounds like? Of the major brands, or is it a very unique sound of it's own?[/quote]
The output is very hot and the EQ is very powerful - it's hard to describe ! I'll do a recording and then I don't have to :)

EDIT: Here you go, just some noodling but you should get the idea. Starts with neck pickup / both pickups /bridge, all EQ flat.

[attachment=83871:OverwaterJ5.mp3]

[quote name='Machines' post='1290015' date='Jul 2 2011, 12:44 PM']The output is very hot and the EQ is very powerful - it's hard to describe ! I'll do a recording and then I don't have to :)

EDIT: Here you go, just some noodling but you should get the idea. Starts with neck pickup / both pickups /bridge, all EQ flat.

[attachment=83871:OverwaterJ5.mp3][/quote]

That sounds great! I've without a doubt heard significantly more expensive basses sound significantly worse IMO. I think I'd roll the bass up ever so slightly, but that'd just be my taste (or might be my poor laptop speakers), but still sounds great!

[quote name='Machines' post='1289650' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:07 PM']Took a trip to Warwick today to see Mark at Bass Direct. Got there at 10.30 and left at 4.30 ! Never have I known 6 hours of my life go so quickly. Took my Overwater Progress III Deluxe which I've never been truly in love with in the thought of trading it in for something else. Played a lot of amazing instruments, I don't think there's anywhere else in the country with such diversity of brands in such a small space.

I played a lot of instruments and just seeing what I liked the feel and sound of, in the end it was apparent I couldn't decide between 2 and needed a 5 string regardless - so I present to you, the G&L L2000 Tribute and a Overwater (by Tanglewood) Contemporary J5. The Progress will be remembered but these 2 are overshadowing it tonally already.

The construction and finish of these instruments is hard to find fault with (give me a few days though !) and the value for money of them is astounding. The G&L is a tone monster and very versatile, the Overwater is surprisingly bright and not at all like a Jazz in sound. I'll record some clips of both in the coming days hopefully. There were a lot of single instruments in the same price bracket as the Progress I could have gone for but in the end these 2 were on par with them. After some haggling with Mark we struck a deal and they both came with me. I am one very happy T-101. There will be a separate thread tomorrow about everything else I checked out (lots of pics !).

[size=1]Phone pics not ideal but i'm lazy till tomorrow :D[/size]

[attachment=83854:NBD1.jpg]

[attachment=83855:NBD2.jpg][/quote]

:) :) :lol:

yum!

The G&L L2000 is a fantastic bass... but those Overwater/Tanglewood ones are still totally unknown to me, and that one looks fantastic. The string spacing even looks decent :P (19mm?)
That's a NBD and a half!

I played that exact overwater today at the bass gallery and was blown away by it, fantastic to play, amazing sound (even through an amp I hated), nice feel, only had one niggle which was that the pickups were marginally too wide for resting your thumb on and playing some of the higher strings (necessary to put thumb there if the B is used to let ring for example) but this is a rare option, might be very tempted by one of these at some point in the future

Yeah it's the Carved Top which is different to the standard, link here: [url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/L-2000_Carved_Top/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/Tribu...d_Top/index.asp[/url]