Why become a member? ×

Dream Theaters New Song

charic

It's not too bad. Hardly mind-blowing, but by this point I'd be very surprised if it were. Just the fact that it's a solidly arranged, coherent song with minimal excess is enough of a miracle in itself. Doesn't really feel like 9 minutes, which is a good sign I guess.

Kind of a limp chorus though. The rest of the track has a vibe that's VERY reminiscent of Pull Me Under in terms of the arrangement, but it's lacking that vital ingredient.

Not a great deal of punch in the snare either, which I think drains a lot of energy from the song. I hope they changed it up a bit throughout the rest of the album and used some different ones.

Overall, a step in the right direction after the ham-fisted attempts at mainstream metal that Portnoy was steering them into on the last few albums. Nice not to hear his terrible tough-guy backing vocals any more as well.

Edited by Danimal

Well apparently John Myung has been a lot more hands-on in the writing process this time around than he's been for years, so I'd imagine the dynamic will change quite a bit. Who knows - maybe we'll even hear him do something other than being Petrucci's octave pedal again. :)

Very predictable, thankfully John Myung seems to have returned to the fold as you couldn't hear a bloody thing he was doing when he had those Yamahas! The song itself was nothing special though, the same proggy riffs and irritating keys solos that they've been pedalling for a while now.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1289344' date='Jul 1 2011, 05:53 PM']Very predictable, thankfully John Myung seems to have returned to the fold as you couldn't hear a bloody thing he was doing when he had those Yamahas! The song itself was nothing special though, the same proggy riffs and irritating keys solos that they've been pedalling for a while now.[/quote]

You can hear him nicely on The Dance of Eternity and on Most of Octavarium (the album) :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1289344' date='Jul 1 2011, 05:53 PM']Very predictable, thankfully John Myung seems to have returned to the fold as you couldn't hear a bloody thing he was doing when he had those Yamahas![/quote]

I read that he didn't actually record with the Yamahas, and usually used Stingray 5s during that period.

EDIT: Wiki seems to agree in part, but says that the JM2 was used on ToT and Octavarium.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='Maverick' post='1290687' date='Jul 3 2011, 01:20 AM']I read that he didn't actually record with the Yamahas, and usually used Stingray 5s during that period.

EDIT: Wiki seems to agree in part, but says that the JM2 was used on ToT and Octavarium.[/quote]

IME the JM2 sounds delicious, though he had no part in production of the old stuff, not being able to hear him I think was down to production, and not liking his tone was I would say down to the amp/outboard fx selection and not the bass