Why become a member? ×

get me sounding / playing smoother

Colledge

no matter how hard i try i just cant get myself to play fast / complex stuff smoothly.
mostly highlighted when i play this

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYbDKBcmVmQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYbDKBcmVmQ[/url]

my playing always end up sounding rushed, lots of fret noise and twangy. although yes it'll have alot to do with my technique and its a case of practice makes perfect... but i also think my tone has a bit to do with it. i'm playing through a fender cij precision, gt06b into a trace v-type. whenever i try messing with the eq i just end up with mud, usually the same with comp. what am i doing wrong?

should compression help? boost / cut certain frequencies? i've thought about maybe raising my action too, should get rid of alot of my fret noise.
cheers.

I think you're going to find that it's mostly technique.
Tone doesn't make things sound rushed, that's your fingers :).

Rattles and fret buzz 'could' be indicative of a bass needing a decent setup but only if you are getting the same problem with every tune you're trying to play - otherwise it's down to technique again.
If your version of it is sounding 'rushed' then you're probably grabbing at the notes and digging in a little too much.

Movement should be smooth, certain and controlled...

EDIT: Now I feel like that old geezer off of Karate Kid... :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Colledge' post='1288252' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:37 PM']....just cant get myself to play fast / complex stuff smoothly. my playing always end up sounding rushed, lots of fret noise and twangy....[/quote]
There's no magic pedal!

You've just got to play better. That means practise and more practise, also start slow and speed up.

[quote name='DirkThrust' post='1288307' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:19 PM']I've always had the same problem and no amount of practise cured it which is probably indicative of poor technique.[/quote]

If no amount of practice is curing things then you are obviously practising the wrong things.

[quote name='Colledge' post='1288338' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:52 PM']i've never tried playing with a metronome but i can see how it can help. i'll give it a try.[/quote]

A metronome won't help you clean up your technique. I'd recommend practising slowly and accurately. If you are
struggling with complex lines,play them out of time and again concentrate on playing accurately and cleanly.

There's a book called something like "Zen and the art of guitar mastery". It's for guitar but that doesn't matter. It's really about identifying the tension in your playing and achieving a state of relaxation. It's a bit touchy-feely but might help.

What I took away was that you should aim never to play stuff wrong. Don't get too obsessed by metronomes. Play as slowly and unevenly as you need to get the notes under your fingers every time and do it until you aren't tense. Then work on the rhythm and then the right speed. Being relaxed is the key. Do as I say, not as I do (of course).

I'm in the 'get out the metronome and slow down' club. Reduce the tempo to the point where you can play the line comfortably without any stress on your hands, wrists, arms, or anywhere else for that matter. Practice it there until you can play it 5 times in a row flawlessly, then bump up the tempo by 5 bpm. Repeat the process until you can play it right, then keep going until you can't play it wrong.

Edited by Danimal