Why become a member? ×

Best Glasto bass parts weren't the big bands.

mrtcat

Maybe it's just me but do the normal folk out there not appreciate good basslines?

I've watched most of Glastonbury this weekend as our drummer is ill and gigs have been cancelled. I have been pretty uninspired by the bass players in the bands that are known as bands but have seen some great bass playing with the solo artists. For example I think Coldplay, Biffy, U2, elbow et all were very average but I loved the playing behind Jessie J, Tinnie Tempa (hate his music and found the bbc coverage frustrating as every other sentence was muted due to swearing), Paulo Nutini, Plan B etc. The exception was Mumford & Sons as I really enjoyed his bass playing.

It might just be me tho

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1283349' date='Jun 26 2011, 08:50 PM']Maybe it's just me but do the normal folk out there not appreciate good basslines?

I've watched most of Glastonbury this weekend as our drummer is ill and gigs have been cancelled. I have been pretty uninspired by the bass players in the bands that are known as bands but have seen some great bass playing with the solo artists. For example I think Coldplay, Biffy, U2, elbow et all were very average but I loved the playing behind Jessie J, Tinnie Tempa (hate his music and found the bbc coverage frustrating as every other sentence was muted due to swearing), Paulo Nutini, Plan B etc. The exception was Mumford & Sons as I really enjoyed his bass playing.

It might just be me tho[/quote]

+1, although to be fair, I don't really like Coldplay, Biffy Clyro, U2, or Elbow, but I love Jessie J and Plan B!

I like that Ed Sheeran bloke that was on after Plan B, never heard of him until The A Team was released a couple of weeks ago, but I really like pretty much everything I've heard him play since then!

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1283349' date='Jun 26 2011, 08:50 PM']Maybe it's just me but do the normal folk out there not appreciate good basslines?

It might just be me tho[/quote]

I really enjoyed the Tinie Tempah bassist, just a ptiy they didn't show more of his playing. Jessie J's bassist was good too I thought, as was she.

I like some of the lines that the kaiser chiefs have, simple but powerfull especially on the song ruby.

Plus he has a red fender with tort guard, you cant go wrong there lol.

Oh and i loved the look of the chrome bass that Pendulum had.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1283349' date='Jun 26 2011, 08:50 PM']Maybe it's just me but do the normal folk out there not appreciate good basslines?[/quote]

I think it might be that a good bassline in a song goes to make that song appreciated without most people knowing its the bass that helps make it great, this itself is what bass is about to a degree I believe

Also, what is a good bassline, does it have to be different, a strong plodding 8th note might be all that is needed in some cases

I am with you though, I can watch solo modern singers who I am not massive radio fan of, perform live with a good drummer and bassist and it makes for great entertainment

I was at Glasto, the standout perfornances for me (from a bass perspective) were Elbow, Pendulum and Tame Impala, i only got back yesterday so i have not seen the BBC coverage, U2' sound out on the field was real bad, it might have been the rain though. Paul Simon' set for me was the biggest disappointment although that is only my view.