Why become a member? ×

One finger...

steverickwood

For reasons I dont know I managed to cut my fingertip nearly to the bone whilst prepping dinner. This meant I had to play the entire gig tonite with my middle finger (plucking hand). I strongly recommend avoiding this technique. I know jamerson had the one finger thing but believe me it sucks.
I reckon its the most tasteful I;ve ever played!!!
Feel free to abuse me!

I recently got a sliver of glass in the tip of my right index finger and had to play the gig using the next two fingers! My dexterity was down by about 70% and I had to make some interesting changes to the bass lines in order to play anything.

Our guitarist shut his left hand in the car door at a gig. I preferred his playing that night, without all the twiddly bits!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1282746' date='Jun 26 2011, 04:22 AM']When I was a lad I used to frequently end up with a sore index finger so would move to middle + ring finger to play. Nowhere near as fast but at least I was no longer in pain[/quote]
I've heard sitting with your finger in warm moist places can cause that.

I use my thumb and first 3 fingers, so losing one wouldn't be the end.

I sliced open the tips of both index and middle finger on the day of a gig. I taped them up with micropore tape.

The pain wasn't really a problem but half way through the gig my guitarist pointed to my "white" bass which was somewhat blood splattered.

I worked for a guitarist who while cooking a meal, sliced through the ligament between his thumb and index finger, left hand...
He tried desperately to make the nurse set his hand in a neck shaped grip but she wasn`t having any.
Result, 2 weeks of tour missed, set completely re-arranged.
It took 6 weeks till he could properly grip again.
Nice meal though.

I've had a few finger breaks and tissue/ligament damage through sport/falling over drunk. Had to give up playing for up to 2 months with the one break - it was horrible, but better than not being able to play again by playing and making it worse!