Why become a member? ×

squarepusher documentary

cycrowave

I love Squarepusher and have been listening to him since I was 17 but I've never listened to him for his bass playing. Not that I consider him to be a bad player or anything, but in the broader context of his music, I often forget he's a bass player because his bass sounds so far removed from what I associate the sound of a bass to be like. I find a lot of his music really inspiring.

He owes a hell of a lot to Daft Punk for that LED mask though :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1281218' date='Jun 24 2011, 04:44 PM']I love Squarepusher and have been listening to him since I was 17 but I've never listened to him for his bass playing. Not that I consider him to be a bad player or anything, but in the broader context of his music, I often forget he's a bass player because his bass sounds so far removed from what I associate the sound of a bass to be like. I find a lot of his music really inspiring.

He owes a hell of a lot to Daft Punk for that LED mask though :)[/quote]

i got into him after randomly seeing him perform at glastonbury 2001, the only time iv seen him perform without his bass. his recent albums havnt really done it for me, but watching that documentary has reignited my interest. if not for the music, but for the awesome concepts and processes involved.

and yes i thought of daft punk when i saw the mask, but linking the display to the music definatly elevates it beyond mere plagiarism.

He is obviously extremely intelligent, and he is a phenomenal bass player - but a lot of his stuff leaves me cold. If he played that material but with a guitar round his neck, would he be so well regarded here? I doubt it.

[quote name='Conan' post='1287620' date='Jun 30 2011, 01:06 PM']He is obviously extremely intelligent, and he is a phenomenal bass player - but a lot of his stuff leaves me cold. If he played that material but with a guitar round his neck, would he be so well regarded here? I doubt it.[/quote]
I've been dipping in and out of Squarepusher's music for years, but without really knowing anything about him or his methods, so it was only a couple of years ago that I discovered he was even a bass player. I just thought he was an awesome composer and programmer... and he is. :)