Why become a member? ×

Eminence Portable Upright Bass

Mr Bassman

I went to meet Clarky at a motorway services car park yesterday, with the intention of selling him a bass.

When I got home I found his Eminence portable bass in the back of my car, don't know how it got there?

Anyway, don't tell him, he's got enough basses and probably won't even miss it! :)

So what I'd like to know is what strings do you prefer, and why.

And has anyone tried other pick ups, i.e: Full Circle, Bassmax, Underwood etc.

I play mainly jazz, but want to be able to use a bow occasionally, and I want to sound like Ray Brown :)

So any help much appreciated.

Cheers guys & gals

[quote name='Clarky' post='1280213' date='Jun 23 2011, 09:42 PM']Gareth Hughes and The Rev should be along shortly Keith! If I recall correctly, Gareth likes Kolstein strings on his Eminence, which you are already familiar with[/quote]

Hah, you've twigged it's missing then?

I'm having fun with it but the Silver Slaps are not for me, I'm more into Spirocore types

I've put some old Kolsteins on, it's closer but maybe needs higher tension, so I've just put a Bel Canto G on which I've got on my big bass, I'll see what it's like when it settles in.

Thanks Clarky

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1280290' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:38 PM']If I met you at a Motorway Services, could you leave something in the back of my car? My boot would easily fit a 1900 German flatback no trouble......[/quote]

Keith, why waste petrol driving to a motorway, when we could meet somewhere in Gods good country?

If you are either (a) having trouble getting to sleep or (b ) someone with an incredible attention span (ie, not me) there is a 32-page Mega-thread on Eminence upright basses on TalkBass. Its starts at the inception of these in 2001 so you might be better to wade in half way through [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f101/eminence-megathread-314531/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f101/eminenc...athread-314531/[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1280322' date='Jun 23 2011, 11:01 PM']If you are either (a) having trouble getting to sleep or (b ) someone with an incredible attention span (ie, not me) there is a 32-page Mega-thread on Eminence upright basses on TalkBass. Its starts at the inception of these in 2001 so you might be better to wade in half way through [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f101/eminence-megathread-314531/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f101/eminenc...athread-314531/[/url][/quote]

Can one download this as an audio book?

O.k. I'm halfway there soundwise.

I put some old Kolstein Heritage on that I had on Clarky's new [url="http://www.kolstein.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KMI&Product_Code=1LTB12&Category_Code=bass"]Travel Bass[/url]

After trying umpteen sets of strings on the Kolstein I went back to the original strings that were supplied with it, and on it when I bought it from Dave Swift.

They'e ok but don't have much depth on the Eminence.

Just popped a well used Bel Canto G on which I got from Ben Bastin, sounding close through GK MB200 / Acoustic Image to my big bass :)

Edited by Mr Bassman

Found this post from Gareth Hughes:

"A string I've found to be an absolute joy for pizz and arco are Kolstein Heritage strings. They have a lovely low tension and are closer in sound to gut strings than steel. And they also have excellent customer service. Check out www.gollihurmusic.com for prices and other options. I've had Kolstein's on both my upright and my Eminence portable upright and they work beautifully on both. Another string I'm loving for both arco and pizz, and currently have on my upright are Velvet Blue's."

[quote name='Clarky' post='1280338' date='Jun 23 2011, 11:15 PM']Found this post from Gareth Hughes:

"A string I've found to be an absolute joy for pizz and arco are Kolstein Heritage strings. They have a lovely low tension and are closer in sound to gut strings than steel. And they also have excellent customer service. Check out www.gollihurmusic.com for prices and other options. I've had Kolstein's on both my upright and my Eminence portable upright and they work beautifully on both. Another string I'm loving for both arco and pizz, and currently have on my upright are Velvet Blue's."[/quote]

The Heritage are exactly what I just replaced on the Kolstein, they are a joy to play and have a beautiful sound.

Enjoy!

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='ficelles' post='1280371' date='Jun 23 2011, 11:58 PM']You're coming to Devon? I'll buy you a cream tea :)

ficelles[/quote]

Nah, I meant the other one where Yorkshire Puds are grown!

Love Devon and Cornwall tho', it's such a long drive from here in N. Yorks

Was down your way a couple of years ago, nice area!

Egads - I haven't even had time to chime in yet and I've already been quoted. Well, all I have to add is everything I've already said :) And that I'm using an Apt-Flex pickup as a replacement for the David Gage Realist and find it to be a better suit for the Eminence all round. I did buy a Kent Armstrong magnetic pickup for my Eminence but I've to get around to installing it. I do know that Trevor Hutchinson from Lunasa prefers a Fishman Full Circle to the Realist for his one, and he has toured the world and elsewhere with that thing - and he does get a truly righteous sound from it.

I did have mine strung with D'Addario Helicores for several years and liked those a lot. Not really sure why I changed. Must have been a Tuesday.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1280436' date='Jun 24 2011, 01:58 AM']Egads - I haven't even had time to chime in yet and I've already been quoted. Well, all I have to add is everything I've already said :) And that I'm using an Apt-Flex pickup as a replacement for the David Gage Realist and find it to be a better suit for the Eminence all round. I did buy a Kent Armstrong magnetic pickup for my Eminence but I've to get around to installing it. I do know that Trevor Hutchinson from Lunasa prefers a Fishman Full Circle to the Realist for his one, and he has toured the world and elsewhere with that thing - and he does get a truly righteous sound from it.

I did have mine strung with D'Addario Helicores for several years and liked those a lot. Not really sure why I changed. Must have been a Tuesday.[/quote]

Interesting, that. Actually I have an APTflex pickup for sale, ex Clarky. The Underwood has gone back on; it must be hardwired into my brain (the hearing bit).

[quote name='bassace' post='1280537' date='Jun 24 2011, 09:11 AM']Interesting, that. Actually I have an APTflex pickup for sale, ex Clarky. The Underwood has gone back on; it must be hardwired into my brain (the hearing bit).[/quote]

I'll look into that Roger

I can't fit an Underwood or Bassmax yet, the slots are too narrow.

However I've just changed strings again and put on what I believe to be Flexocors, and it sounds great without a pre amp, it's got a big fat bottom & non of that nasally whine, very close to my big bass.

I'd like the action a little lower but the adjusters are right down, might have to shave a bit off the top.

cheers all

Keith

Sorry I'm late - I've had to actually do some work today.

I've tried Helicore hybrids (stock strings), helicore orchs, Innovation Honeys and Velvet Garbos. Garbos are by far the best for me but at $250 a set they fecking well should be. I do the find the G a bit nasal, although if I'm paying attention to my right hand technique and I've set up my Plat Pro properly (say that five times fast) then it sounds fine. HAving said that, the G is a pig to bow so if you're going that way, perhaps the Animas are a better choice. I quite fancy trying the Velvet Blues or a set of Spiro weichs when the Garbos finally give up the ghost.

I have some clips recorded with the Garbos - if i can work out how it's done, I'll post them up here. If you can get hold of a used set of Velvet strings, I strongly recommend you give them a try.

Regarding pickups - I've generally avoided that can o' worms as I was already spending lots of money on strings and the I had this wedding thing and then I had no money! Over on TB, the Full Circle seems to be favourite, though apparently the bridge will need modifying. I'm not aware of the APTflex jobbie, but if it fits without hassle, I might be tempted to invest. I do like the sound of the Realist (not that I've tried anything else...) but I could do with something with a bit more feedback resistance.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1281282' date='Jun 24 2011, 05:34 PM']Sorry I'm late - I've had to actually do some work today.

I've tried Helicore hybrids (stock strings), helicore orchs, Innovation Honeys and Velvet Garbos. Garbos are by far the best for me but at $250 a set they fecking well should be. I do the find the G a bit nasal, although if I'm paying attention to my right hand technique and I've set up my Plat Pro properly (say that five times fast) then it sounds fine. HAving said that, the G is a pig to bow so if you're going that way, perhaps the Animas are a better choice. I quite fancy trying the Velvet Blues or a set of Spiro weichs when the Garbos finally give up the ghost.

I have some clips recorded with the Garbos - if i can work out how it's done, I'll post them up here. If you can get hold of a used set of Velvet strings, I strongly recommend you give them a try.

Regarding pickups - I've generally avoided that can o' worms as I was already spending lots of money on strings and the I had this wedding thing and then I had no money! Over on TB, the Full Circle seems to be favourite, though apparently the bridge will need modifying. I'm not aware of the APTflex jobbie, but if it fits without hassle, I might be tempted to invest. I do like the sound of the Realist (not that I've tried anything else...) but I could do with something with a bit more feedback resistance.[/quote]

thanks for that Rev

I'm just about to take the bridge off and see if my Full Circle is the right thread.

I need to take a bit off the bridge at the same time so it's out with the belt sander and dust mask.

I'll report back later

I've trimmed the bridge and re-cut the string slots for thinner strings, (it came with Silver Slaps)

I've fitted the Full Circle which was the same thread, had to cut about 1/4" off the adjuster posts and fit them threads up.

Now for some testing.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1281456' date='Jun 24 2011, 08:20 PM']I've trimmed the bridge and re-cut the string slots for thinner strings, (it came with Silver Slaps)

I've fitted the Full Circle which was the same thread, had to cut about 1/4" off the adjuster posts and fit them threads up.

Now for some testing.[/quote]

The Full Circle is sensitive as to the position of the wheel, but the sweet spot doesn't sound much different to the Realist.

I can't believe how good this bass sounds with a set of old Flexocor strings direct into a GKMB200 and Epifani UL110 - no pre amp necessary (so far)

The full test will be on the gig tonight.

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='1285006' date='Jun 28 2011, 09:59 AM']Let us know how you get on Keith. I will be interested to hear how it compares to your other uprights.
Cheers Geoff[/quote]

Lovin' it so far Geoff

Gigged it with Tony Birkhill on Sunday and was very pleased, got the thumbs up from the band.

Acoustically it doesn't sound great, the Kolstein has a lovely sound. (Clarky is the current Kolstein curator)

I can't believe how good it sounds amplified, no pre amp required, especially nice with the new GK amps (MB200 + various cabs or MB210 combo)

Can't wait to use it tonight at the West Park Hotel

Pop round if you're in the area

Have you removed the stock Realist pickup? Given that you reckon there's not much soundwise betwen the Realist and the Full Circle, I'd be interested in whether the Full Circle is more feedback resistant.

My bands are fairly loud and I don't always have a PA to go through so feedback from the stock Realist is always an issue. I've been considering a Full Circle for a while now, but if it's no better that the Realist, then there's not much point.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1285282' date='Jun 28 2011, 02:11 PM']Have you removed the stock Realist pickup? Given that you reckon there's not much soundwise betwen the Realist and the Full Circle, I'd be interested in whether the Full Circle is more feedback resistant.

My bands are fairly loud and I don't always have a PA to go through so feedback from the stock Realist is always an issue. I've been considering a Full Circle for a while now, but if it's no better that the Realist, then there's not much point.[/quote]

No, I took the full circle off because I wanted to try the stock pup first, which was fine with the GK MB200 and an AI Contra Ex, a great sound and no feedback.

It was a pub gig with keys, guitar, drums & loud tenor sax.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1286699' date='Jun 29 2011, 05:25 PM']Success again last night.

Flexocor strings, stock Realist into GKMB200 / Epifani UL110 (+ a cheeky line into p.a. to keep level down on stage)

Big fat sound that sings.

Thanks to Clarky[/quote]

Can anyone here with experience compare/contrast Epifani v EA Wizzy? Just curious.