Why become a member? ×

Bag End Speakers

davebass66

Hi Guys,

exactly as the title says really.

I've been on the hunt for a 2x12 for a while but money hasnt been that forthcoming. I noticed on the bass gear website they are selling a bag end 2x12 for £500 in the moving sale.

Anyone got one or heard them etc?

Dave

Hi, I had a BagEnd 1x15 years ago and loved it. It was physically small with a fantastic sound, so great for rehearsals and gigs. I regret selling it. I sold it to a good friend who still raves about it today.

Good quality gear, imho.

Dean.

[quote name='davebass66' post='1279485' date='Jun 23 2011, 11:29 AM']Hi Guys,

exactly as the title says really.

I've been on the hunt for a 2x12 for a while but money hasnt been that forthcoming. I noticed on the bass gear website they are selling a bag end 2x12 for £500 in the moving sale.

Anyone got one or heard them etc?

Dave[/quote]

My old Bag End/Mesa rig was extremely sweet sounding (M-Pulse 600 and 2xS15-Bs). As pointed out above, the wattage rating isn't all that high, but they're pretty loud, so I'm not sure that this is a problem? I think a 2x12 for £500 is something worth considering, although given their weight, I'd wonder whether two separate Bag End 12s wouldn't be a more practical solution?

Either way, very sweet cabs

Edited by Beedster

I've got one of Beedster's old 1x15's - great stand alone cab, and I'd love to hear what a pair can do. Very musical, not a lot of really low end, which makes it great as a stage monitor (you don't mess up the out front sound as much as a typical 4x10). Small and sturdy...but a bit heavy by current standards. Nice.

I have a 1x15 & a 1x10 from the current range (both bought from BassGear as it happens) and I really like them - both individually and as a pair. I've gigged with both of them on their own and that little 10 handled a hotel wedding party gig in a 7 piece band without any PA support just fine!

I think they are relatively heavy, compared to a lot of the current Neo cabs anyway, however their physical size is small. I find them much easier to transport than my Aguilar DB112's were simply because they are quite a bit shallower.

I think the 15 goes pretty low & I'd imagine the 2x12 should go even lower given both the increased speaker area and the larger cabinet :)

I find them very 'musical' and not at all clinical sounding (which has been my concern with some more 'modern' cabs).

Pretty sure the 2x12 is a 4ohm cab too so that will release full power from your amp :)

BE cabs do seem to be rated quite conservatively in terms of power handling but I don't really understand the ratings that say stuff like 400W continuous power & then 1600W peak. I've certainly run my two with a 450W head at full gig volume without any problems.

There was an interesting little Alex Claber article recently that I think said you could run an amp of twice the power of the cab rating. From what I remember it said it's often tweeters that are most likely to blow if you overload a cab & I don't think the 2x12 at BassGear has the Ax-Hi 'tweeter'.

I know Jim Wischmeyer at Bag End is an absolute guru when it comes to knowledge about cab design and power handling capabilities so you could always ask him direct if you're worried about this :lol:

Thanks guys...appreciate the help..

My only issue really is getting up there to try it wouldn't be possible. I'd be spending £500 on a potential wing and a prayer!

Wonder whether he'd bring it down with him when he moves?! :)

don't think the power would be an issue although the weight maybe as I have the back of a much older man (figuratively speaking of course)

[quote name='davebass66' post='1279975' date='Jun 23 2011, 06:41 PM']Thanks guys...appreciate the help..

My only issue really is getting up there to try it wouldn't be possible. I'd be spending £500 on a potential wing and a prayer!

Wonder whether he'd bring it down with him when he moves?! :)

don't think the power would be an issue although the weight maybe as I have the back of a much older man (figuratively speaking of course)[/quote]

Whereabouts are you in the 'south east'?

I'm in Henley - you could try my two some time (although they are going to sound different to a 2x12 of course!)

Sorry to hijack/hitch-hike the thread...

I'm about to buy 2 Bag End S12-b cabs for a very fair price.

I'm planning on using them with an Ampeg PF500.

Do you guys think that will be a good combination?

I'm going for a bit of an old school/classic tone, but with a very good definition with my fretted.
And for that John Giblin/Del Palmer fretless sound with Kate Bush (with my fretless of course).

I tried the 2x 112 option for a few days before I decided on the 1x15 + 1x10 route. Mine was partially driven by the fact that the baby 10 is just perfect for rehearsals and I quite liked the sound combination with the 15.

However the 2x12's together sounded really nice as well - are they both with or without a tweeter? BE cabs don't usually have any tweeter level controls. I went for a 10 with tweeter & 15 without.

[quote name='molan' post='1280653' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:39 AM']Are they both with or without a tweeter? BE cabs don't usually have any tweeter level controls. I went for a 10 with tweeter & 15 without.[/quote]

As far as I know Beg End 12's never have a tweeter (which saves me the trouble of switching it off :) )