Why become a member? ×

All this talk of cab orientation has got me thinking

citymariner

Okay, so traditionally it goes:

HEAD
CAB
CAB

However, I've recently had my head flightcased and wondered whether I could run my rig:

CAB
HEAD
CAB

It'd life my 210 higher and therefore closer to my ears for better monitoring.

Wonder if it would improve the dispersion of the sound at all?

I've seen people stack their cabs and then stick their amp behind all their gear out of the way but haven't come across my proposal.
(maybe that's for a reason...)

I've seen some US players put the amp between the cabs. I guess it's to raise the top cab for monitoring purposes. All my bands are way too loud to stick a cab anywhere near ear level, so I imagine this would only work if you played quietly.

But then if you were that quiet why would you need 2 cabs?

[quote name='chris_b' post='1278899' date='Jun 22 2011, 07:03 PM']I've seen some US players put the amp between the cabs. I guess it's to raise the top cab for monitoring purposes. All my bands are way too loud to stick a cab anywhere near ear level, so I imagine this would only work if you played quietly.

But then if you were that quiet why would you need 2 cabs?[/quote]

Haha, your process of deduction is ace!

We are loud!

I'll try it out.

[attachment=83282:rig.jpg]

Saves on the back from lifting the head on top of both cabs...

I'd like to add that the porting of a cab makes a radical difference in the way you stack them. Don't ask me for the physics behind it, cause I wouldn't have a clue, but a rear ported cab behaves differently if placed on the floor that it would if stacked high. I have experienced completely different lows dispersion effect when I was experimenting. To the best of my knowledge, a rear ported cab is best placed down whereas a front ported one can be either used facing you as a monitor (wedge style) or on top of the lower one. There is a third element in play that might throw you off and that happens when the top cab has a HF horn in the cab, because the frequency you get from it is the first to hit you at ear level, so you tend to hear highs more prominently over lows which again might please some and perhaps bother other players. If that is a problem for you and you can by-pass the horn switching it off, then you are sorted otherwise down it goes below the other cab. All trial and error at the end of the day and different from venue to venue as I've found out.

[quote name='charic' post='1278981' date='Jun 22 2011, 08:15 PM']It doesn't look as rock and roll I'm afraid.[/quote]

You're quite right it doesn't!

The flightcase is a live-in one and is a serious piece of kit - really well made by Castle Flightcases.

The cabs are front ported and both have a horn and switch (low/off/high)

Ear plugs are worn anyway - I play better with them as it feels like I can tune into individual instruments better ( is use those christmas tree ones we call the wax dredgers!)

I can't see it having much difference to be fair in the real world. The 210 on top is always off the ground so the difference of 30cm is not gonna have that much of an effect.

I've played it in my music room in both combinations and I can't hear any difference -I've even set up a mic and loaded up AudioXplorer to monitor frequencies at a seated position and standing as if they were ears at a gig. No noticeable difference - i did put the mic a reasonable distance as if the person was sat maybe 2 rows back in a pub.

Hey, what doesn't break my back at a gig will make it weaker for the next one... :)

[quote name='citymariner' post='1278919' date='Jun 22 2011, 07:24 PM']Haha, your process of deduction is ace!

We are loud!

I'll try it out.

[attachment=83282:rig.jpg]

Saves on the back from lifting the head on top of both cabs...[/quote]
I was 1/2 expecting to see a Little Giant wedged between those cabs. :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1278990' date='Jun 22 2011, 03:18 PM']a rear ported cab behaves differently if placed on the floor that it would if stacked high.[/quote]The direction the port faces makes no difference. Any perceived tonal difference is purely the result of hearing your mids and highs better.
[quote]Spacing the speakers further apart lowers the maximum frequency at which they will couple coherently[/quote]Only on the vertical plane, which doesn't affect what the audience hears, and only affects what you hear if you're very close to the cab, as in less than six feet or so.