Why become a member? ×

Best Budget P Style Pickup

BASainty

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1276863' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:44 AM']EMG Select,very under rated.[/quote]

Iv checked them out they seem a quality bit of kit and its between the EMG SEP or the Wilkinson WBP pickups.

Also im looking for a new wiring kit with pots anyone got any suggestions?

To be fair a good one won't cost too much without having to plump for the budget offerings. For example you can pick up a brand new Wizard for £50... second hand prices are much sweeter obviously.

A good source for P pups too is old Jap crap. I've been hanging on to a wicked sounding pup that came off a 70s Hondo - it has a beautiful old skool P thump you don't get from new Fenders (for example) and certainly has more tone than the characterless budget pups you get. If you fancy that route, drop a line to some of the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7473"]Jap Crap guys[/url] and see what they have in their parts boxes for you.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1276872' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:50 AM']...Also im looking for a new wiring kit with pots anyone got any suggestions?[/quote]
The P bass loom is the easiest wiring job on the planet. Maybe now is the time to learn a new skill? :)
You can put together the entire kit for a fraction of the price of a pre-made loom. Only go for one if you are temped by the claims of "better sounding" parts... which of course they don't deliver.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1276872' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:50 AM']Also im looking for a new wiring kit with pots anyone got any suggestions?[/quote]

Send KiOgon a PM - he makes some great kits and they don't cost alot! And you don't have to solder anything :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1276891' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:57 AM']The P bass loom is the easiest wiring job on the planet. Maybe now is the time to learn a new skill? :)
You can put together the entire kit for a fraction of the price of a pre-made loom. Only go for one if you are temped by the claims of "better sounding" parts... which of course they don't deliver.[/quote]

Lol yeh was thinking about it i have no idea where to start though lol any tips?

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1276899' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:00 PM']Lol yeh was thinking about it i have no idea where to start though lol any tips?[/quote]
That's tough one to answer. How much soldering experience have you got?
I taught myself how to do it when I was about 12... that was over 30 years ago now so I kind of take it for granted.I probably solder better than I can ride a bike or swim.

Best thing I can say just now is have a look at the components you need (2 pots, a jack socket, a capacitor and some wire) find out where to buy them and go for it - you don't even have to understand electronics as it is just a passive circuit - just follow the diagrams you find [url="http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=precision+bass+wiring+schematic&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1203&bih=489&wrapid=tlif130865494271210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi"]all over the net.[/url] The beauty of soldering is that it is always reversible so if you mess it up just desolder it and start again.

edit : If all that sounds a bit too much (but it really isn't) then do what Jerry B said and buy one of KiOgon's pre mades, they have had good reviews on here.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1276855' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:40 AM']Do you have a website for them?
I cant seem to find any pick ups by them.[/quote]

Normally some on ebay but not currently apparently. Axes r Us do them.

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/AxeBassPup.html"]http://www.axesrus.com/AxeBassPup.html[/url]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1276911' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:11 PM']That's tough one to answer. How much soldering experience have you got?
I taught myself how to do it when I was about 12... that was over 30 years ago now so I kind of take it for granted.

Best thing I can say just now is have a look at the components you need (2 pots, a jack socket, a capacitor and some wire) find out where to buy them and go for it. The beauty of soldering is that it is always reversible so if you mess it up just desolder it and start again.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice =] iv had extremely little soldering experience when i was about 12 which was 8 years ago i havnt touched it since but i guess now is a better time than any to start lol.

Can i get a diagram anywhere? once iv seen a diagram and had a go ill be find for next time.

[quote name='paul h' post='1276913' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:15 PM']Normally some on ebay but not currently apparently. Axes r Us do them.

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/AxeBassPup.html"]http://www.axesrus.com/AxeBassPup.html[/url][/quote]

Thanks ill check them out.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1276915' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:16 PM']what is budget? theres a few folk selling a bit nicer than budget but with all the wiring and pots and stuff for about £50 in the for sale section[/quote]

For me £50 is about the limit i want to spend on just pick ups.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1276914' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:16 PM']Thanks for the advice =] iv had extremely little soldering experience when i was about 12 which was 8 years ago i havnt touched it since but i guess now is a better time than any to start lol.

Can i get a diagram anywhere? once iv seen a diagram and had a go ill be find for next time.[/quote]
Good man. :)
Sorry I edited my post while you were typing up yours. There's one or two links for diagrams there for you. :)

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='1276924' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:19 PM']For me £50 is about the limit i want to spend on just pick ups.[/quote]

theres a fella selling a emg set with pots and wires, and also a fender japan set in the for sales forum

I put a Wilkinson P J setup on my passive Bass Collection 301, much better than the original ones, the P sounds nice, still lacks the oomph I want. But for around £30 the pair its aint bad.

I put a Kent Armstrong 10K vintage on my Precision bitsa, and its got loads of oomph and a lovely growl to it. Cost around £30 new via ebay.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Slipperydick

I recently sold a Vintage V4 'Reissued' P-bass which had Wilkinson hardware and pickup. I changed the pots/wiring for 250k CTS and used a .047 orange drop capacitor, changed the pickup to a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and strung it with Fender flats. When it came to selling, I put the Wilkinson pickup back in there and if I'm honest, I struggled to tell much of a difference between the two - the SD had a bit of extra clarity, if I recall.

Might have been a different story with roundwound strings, however. Given the Wilkinson P-pickup only costs around £15 on eBay, it's got to be worth investigating - you wouldn't be much out of pocket if you found it lacking. Bear in mind, that it's been wound to a 'vintage' spec and thus isn't a high-gain pickup.

Other reasonably-priced P-pickups I've used in previous builds were the Wizard Trad and the Seymour Duncan SPB-3 'Quarter Pounder'. The Wizard Trad's a great pickup for a vintage P-sound and the SPB-3 is a bit of a monster - higher output and a more modern sound.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' post='1276936' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:28 PM']I recently sold a Vintage V4 'Reissued' P-bass which had Wilkinson hardware and pickup. I changed the pots/wiring for 250k CTS and used a .047 orange drop capacitor, changed the pickup to a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and strung it with Fender flats. When it came to selling, I put the Wilkinson pickup back in there and if I'm honest, I struggled to tell much of a difference between the two - the SD had a bit of extra clarity, if I recall.

Might have been a different story with roundwound strings, however. Given the Wilkinson P-pickup only costs around £15 on eBay, it's got to be worth investigating - you wouldn't be much out of pocket if you found it lacking. Bear in mind, that it's been wound to a 'vintage' spec and thus isn't a high-gain pickup.

Other reasonably-priced P-pickups I've used in previous builds were the Wizard Trad and the Seymour Duncan SPB-3 'Quarter Pounder'. The Wizard Trad's a great pickup for a vintage P-sound and the SPB-3 is a bit of a monster - higher output and a more modern sound.[/quote]

Yeh iv had a look at the Wizard Trads they seem pretty cool do you know what the Thumpers are like? and are they passive?