Why become a member? ×

warwick jack socket

OliverBlackman

My cable, Klotz titanium, or something like that is repeatedly falling out of the jack socket on my warwick thumb. None of my other basses have had this problem just the warwick.

I was wondering if its a common problem with warwicks? Also how much would it cost to have a secure one fitted and what options are avaliable?

Would probably get it done at the gallery as their always great but just wondered what you guys thought

Warwick jack socket... nuff said! :)

Get a Soundcraft or Neutrik one and you'll be sorted. TBH it's a relatively (dead easy) DIY job and should theoretically be a £20 job but seeing as how many places will charge you a minimum £30-£40 the total could end up being that +£6-£10 for the socket.

It's not Warwick, it's the Switchcraft designed socket. I've had nothing but trouble with them - not just on Warwicks... My bongo's the same, as is my Ibanez ATK. When it's my turn to rule I'll outlaw the b*stard things!!!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1275401' date='Jun 19 2011, 11:26 PM']It's not Warwick, it's the Switchcraft designed socket. I've had nothing but trouble with them - not just on Warwicks... My bongo's the same, as is my Ibanez ATK. When it's my turn to rule I'll outlaw the b*stard things!!![/quote]
Got to disagree! The design may be the same but the quality of construction sets the likes of the Switchcraft and the Neutrik way above the Warwick spec one. I've 'probably' owned more Warwicks than anyone else on BC... or anywhere else for that matter :) and as such I must have replaced dozens of sockets and I can honestly say that the quality components mentioned will last many times longer than the original spec sockets. In fact I once bought a couple of replacement Warwick sourced sockets and they failed within a year or two whereas Switchcraft replacements are still going strong after 15 years. Just my honest and unbiased take on these sockets!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1275348' date='Jun 19 2011, 09:31 PM']Warwick jack socket... nuff said! :)

Get a Soundcraft or Neutrik one and you'll be sorted. TBH it's a relatively (dead easy) DIY job and should theoretically be a £20 job but seeing as how many places will charge you a minimum £30-£40 the total could end up being that +£6-£10 for the socket.[/quote]

Just looked at the stock socket and i cant work out how to get it out?

Couldn't disagree more having replaced both Warwick and Musicman sockets with switchcraft and both subsequently failing... Friday afternooners maybe... Also IMHO and YMMV... No reflection on Warwicks either...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1275422' date='Jun 19 2011, 11:46 PM']Got to disagree! The design may be the same but the quality of construction sets the likes of the Switchcraft and the Neutrik way above the Warwick spec one. I've 'probably' owned more Warwicks than anyone else on BC... or anywhere else for that matter :) and as such I must have replaced dozens of sockets and I can honestly say that the quality components mentioned will last many times longer than the original spec sockets. In fact I once bought a couple of replacement Warwick sourced sockets and they failed within a year or two whereas Switchcraft replacements are still going strong after 15 years. Just my honest and unbiased take on these sockets![/quote]

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1275430' date='Jun 19 2011, 11:58 PM']Just looked at the stock socket and i cant work out how to get it out?[/quote]

The jack socket is threaded - the nut is inside the control cavity holding it in place. Once the connections are cut you should just be able to push it out from the control cavity side. I too have had a few Warwicks with this problem, never had it with any other brand. Odd as the rest of the hardware is pretty solid and reliable.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1275348' date='Jun 19 2011, 10:31 PM']Warwick jack socket... nuff said! :)

Get a Soundcraft or Neutrik one and you'll be sorted. TBH it's a relatively (dead easy) DIY job and should theoretically be a £20 job but seeing as how many places will charge you a minimum £30-£40 the total could end up being that +£6-£10 for the socket.[/quote]
£30-40? To change a jack socket?
It's a 5 minute job, dear god.

[quote name='Ross' post='1275582' date='Jun 20 2011, 09:49 AM']£30-40? To change a jack socket?
It's a 5 minute job, dear god.[/quote]
I know that and you know that but unfortunately I know of guitar repairers/builders/fixers who charge £30+ an hour and whether it be 5mins or not, a minimum fee of £30 +parts is the charge!

I'm not defending their charges but I suppose if a tech even took 15-30mins to do the actual job (which is realistic as opposed to 5mins) you have to consider that dealing with the customer on drop-off/collection will add to the actual job time and while he's doing little jobs like sockets he isn't getting on doing bigger better paid jobs! I say do it yourself but charges for stuff like sockets can easily be £30-£40.