Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass pickups recommendations

bubinga5

I replaced my CIJ fretless Jaco Jazz PUs and tried Nordstrand, Qtuners and the original Fenders.

To be frank I could get my tone out of all of them, but with the Nordstrand I was happiest and I've been happy with this choice since then. Great company to deal with. They answer emails and all that!

Cheers
Davo

I've got Ultra Jazz in mine and they are killer! Silent and mega punchy and responsive, although if you're after a vintage sorta sound I would look elsewhere. They sound incredible, although not like a trad single coil sound. I've tried various pickups in my jazz including SDs and the Dimarzios are by far the best IMHO. I've also got model p/j in my RBX, although obviously I can't really do a direct comparison for you.

I picked my Ultras up for 89.99 a couple of months ago, and there were a few places online doing them for that price. Incredible value!

Nordstrand get fantastic reviews, as do Fralins. I know 2 people using Fralins in their Jazz basses and they swear by them.

From my own experience, I've used Bartolini pickups for 20 years and would recommend them to anyone.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1278825' date='Jun 22 2011, 06:10 PM']the Di Marzio Ultra jazz sound great although it does seem that they do have a more scooped mid sound.. wonder what the Model J's are like..[/quote]

Take it from me, the model Js are super, great growly tone, not too toppy, warm mids and loads of bottom end. They sound great through the J-Retro, so probably great for active jazzers.

Edited by bh2

[quote name='giblett123' post='1274948' date='Jun 19 2011, 05:05 PM']Have you heard any of the "bare knuckle" pups? A mate of mine had a bass with them in, sounded like a great trad kind of noise to me.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=142435"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=142435[/url]