Why become a member? ×

My Trusty CIJ Jazz through the years

matt_citizenbass

I saved up for months and with my paper round money to pay for my beloved jazz. To me, it is the only bass I (still after 5 years) feel comfortable playing.

First up I bought a standard Jazz in black with a rosewood neck. Immediately I replaced the bridge pickup with a 1980's CIA fender jazz pickup. For my sound I don't use the neck pickup at all and always had it turned all the way down. Here is how it started out (i'm 15 in this picture)

Eventually I found I caught my fingers (bad technique) on the controls and the neck pickup so I removed them. Having just my bridge pickup straight into the jack.

I'd never been happier with my bass it's the perfect sound for me. However she'd seen better days as she'd been bashed around a lot and had start chipping like hell (see last picture) so one very bored winter day i decided to strip all the paint off and i've had it like this for 2 years now or so:

Again, after being bashed around after 2 years of a lot of touring the neck finally gave way in January this year and I replaced it with a nice maple fretboard one which was even nicer than the last:

Anyway, I've had a few days downtime after tour and i've decided that after nearly buying a few basses a few weeks ago I needed something to spice things up again so i've gone and started repainting her again.

I'm making a proper effort and everything! I'm filling in the empty pickup hole as well:

And this is her tonight after the first coat of sky blue:

Will post a final picture sometime this week!

Before I go... Anyone know how to solve the unrelenting humming which i assume is caused by having a single coil pickup going straight into a jack?

Matt

[quote]This looks awfy like Bar Bloc in Glasgow. Correct?[/quote]

Correct sir!

[quote]ps. is it not too thin tone wise all the time with just the bridge pup?[/quote]

A lot of the time it is quite thin sounding but i run a weird sound i guess, it's basically a clean guitar sound that i can loop with etc. Then my distortion is EQ'd.

[quote]the humming can be stopped by sheilding the pup and control cavity with copper foil..[/quote]

I was wondering why people did this! I have both the foil and the glue lying around my house but thanks for the help :)

[quote]I reckon a couple of those early pics are the Roadhouse Manchester![/quote]

Yes one photo was at the roundhouse!

[quote]Are you gigging in your socks?[/quote]

I was wearing shoes that were broken and they kept on getting worse so i took them off. I did slip up a couple of times though i have to admit! You're lucky I didn't upload any photos from our phase of playing only in underwear!

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='1274315' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:59 AM']I saved up for months and with my paper round money to pay for my beloved jazz. To me, it is the only bass I (still after 5 years) feel comfortable playing.

First up I bought a standard Jazz in black with a rosewood neck. Immediately I replaced the bridge pickup with a 1980's CIA fender jazz pickup. For my sound I don't use the neck pickup at all and always had it turned all the way down. Here is how it started out (i'm 15 in this picture)

[/quote]

when was that gig? im a member of sotones.

cool story btw! im still rocking the same jap jazz i bought as a teenager, just stuck a jretro in it and woohoo its now a lot more versatile.

Edited by cycrowave