Why become a member? ×

Best parts to pimp my jazz bass?

Veils

I've got a MIM jazz that I'm intending on spending a bit of money on doing up. I'm gonna put a J retro in it (unless someone has any better suggestions) and probably some Delano's, but I intend on replacing the hardware and maybe even getting a new neck for it.

If anyone in the know can recommend me a good source of hardware and any other necessary bits and bobs that would be great!

[quote name='Veils' post='1271431' date='Jun 16 2011, 01:34 PM']I've got a MIM jazz that I'm intending on spending a bit of money on doing up. I'm gonna put a J retro in it (unless someone has any better suggestions) and probably some Delano's, but I intend on replacing the hardware and maybe even getting a new neck for it.

If anyone in the know can recommend me a good source of hardware and any other necessary bits and bobs that would be great![/quote]

You mean there's something better than a J-Retro?

:)

G.

[quote name='Veils' post='1271563' date='Jun 16 2011, 02:41 PM']If there is, I'm not aware of it, but I bet someone has a good alternative to offer :)[/quote]
You could go for an Audere PreAmp. They are (its all opinion) a really good quality preamp. And it has a little blue light that flashes on and off when you plug your jack in! Very cool and the envy of many a bass player.

Seriously though, the Audere is excellent.

Edit to add URL: [url="http://www.audereaudio.com/index.htm"]Auderes website[/url]

Edited by BottomE

Cheers for the suggestions!

Anyone got any recommendations for hardware? I've ordered some Schaller tuners off ebay, they're only 20 quid from the states so I'm hoping they aren't cheap nasty ones, but every other bit of Schaller hardware I've had has been real good, I'm just a bit unsure about what bridge to get!

How 'bout this one?

[url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Tyne_Bridge_-_Newcastle_Upon_Tyne_-_England_-_2004-08-14.jpg/300px-Tyne_Bridge_-_Newcastle_Upon_Tyne_-_England_-_2004-08-14.jpg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._2004-08-14.jpg[/url]

Edited by Conan

Well it needed to be done at some point. I was trying to work out in my own mind whether I should get hardware or preamp first. Hardware isn't going to make me sound better, so I went for the pre :) Bit gutted I couldn't get one in black though.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1273989' date='Jun 18 2011, 06:25 PM']You won't regret it. Welcome to the club.[/quote]

Can someone educate me here please ! . . . .

Will all the Audere electronics (as I can see sat on the back of that Audere control plate) and a 9v battery all fit in the control cavity behind the control plate of a standard Jazz bass ? . . .

Or do you have to employ a luthier to undertake some woodworking to create more space or carve a new battery compartment ? ? . . . .

Its just that I've got a really lovely Squier VM fretless that I recently picked up second hand and cheap (cus it had a bad scratch on the front) which I intend to cover up with a vintage tort scratchplate ! . . . . Anyway . . this is a lovely fretless bass and I like the idea of the Audere preamp on a fretless . . . but, as I say, looking at the website, I just cant believe all that componentry and a 9v battery will fit in the cavity ?

Any advice much appreciated . . . .

Also, how long does the battery last on a Audere rig ? . . .

Cheers,

:)

Mine fitted without any mucking about i am told but i bought it pre-installed on the bass so can't verify that as fact. When i have opened it up it doesn't look like anything was done in terms of routing. One thing to make sure you do is buy the smallest battery of that type possible. I learnt that batteries of the same type can be different sizes.

I've just ordered an Audere JZ3D for my mex jazz deluxe...was very excited, however whilst playing said bass at my gigs today, i thought 'this sounds really nice'!...Now I'm worried that I'll lose that Jazz bass growl on the back pickup/depth on the neck pickup with a 'high end' pre amp...

I only say this because i find that my Sei Jazz bass which has an Aguilar Pre and Kent Armstrong J pickups just never sits well in a live mix.. Is it a Fender pre amp thing?

Can anyone re assure me? (I have Wizard 64's on the Jazz bass)

I added some Wilko machines to my MiM P bass as the stock ones were a little loose, I will probably replace with some vintage reverse tuners but the wilkos are great for the money and are accurate copies of the fender 70s style.

I've a J-Retro on my jazz and IMO it's an extremely well made piece of kit. Sounds great too!

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1274138' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:19 PM']Can someone educate me here please ! . . . .

Will all the Audere electronics (as I can see sat on the back of that Audere control plate) and a 9v battery all fit in the control cavity behind the control plate of a standard Jazz bass ? . . .

Or do you have to employ a luthier to undertake some woodworking to create more space or carve a new battery compartment ? ? . . . .

Its just that I've got a really lovely Squier VM fretless that I recently picked up second hand and cheap (cus it had a bad scratch on the front) which I intend to cover up with a vintage tort scratchplate ! . . . . Anyway . . this is a lovely fretless bass and I like the idea of the Audere preamp on a fretless . . . but, as I say, looking at the website, I just cant believe all that componentry and a 9v battery will fit in the cavity ?

Any advice much appreciated . . . .

Also, how long does the battery last on a Audere rig ? . . .

Cheers,

:)[/quote]the batt in mine has been in for a month and still going..... i just make sure i take out the cable from the bass when not in use..Installing an Audere is very easy.. and the battery fits in my MIJ Jazz..its a squeeze but it does all fit...i think its only vintage instruments where it may not fit...

all you do is snip the pickup wires, put them into the corresponding terminals, solder or twist together the grounding wire and your there..

[quote name='davebass66' post='1274339' date='Jun 19 2011, 02:15 AM']I've just ordered an Audere JZ3D for my mex jazz deluxe...was very excited, however whilst playing said bass at my gigs today, i thought 'this sounds really nice'!...Now I'm worried that I'll lose that Jazz bass growl on the back pickup/depth on the neck pickup with a 'high end' pre amp...

I only say this because i find that my Sei Jazz bass which has an Aguilar Pre and Kent Armstrong J pickups just never sits well in a live mix.. Is it a Fender pre amp thing?

Can anyone re assure me? (I have Wizard 64's on the Jazz bass)[/quote]
You should be fine. I think you will find you have a more tweakable growl :)