Why become a member? ×

Just got myself a whammy!

0175westwood29

Hi,

I just got this pedal in a trade and am thinking of cool ways to use it in my band.

Im thinking for solos or lines that i want to stand out a bit, also ive got some really cool bits that im thinking i could use the whammy changing the odd note etc(kinda inspired by tool)

But i do have an ls-2 lying around doing not that much if i put some distortion and the whammy in the loop set to the octave up kinda be similar to a guitar and thicken the sound but im thinking it might be waste of the whammy?

Also anyone got any suggestions how do u use yours?

Just for info its not the bass whammy i believe its a whammy 4?

Andy

I don't own a Whammy (or have ever used one!) but I believe that the bassist for the band Clatter uses a Whammy in fifth-up mode.

Need to go to about the 3 minute mark, but the video is worth watching all the way through anyway, lots of interesting info on her tri-amped rig there too

HTH,
Ian

I think the tone from the whammy octave up is a bit thin. I wouldn't use it to try and fill out the sound a-la unibass unless you have a very good distortion pedal to put in the LS-2 loop.

I use the octave up for making noises and stuff. Sometimes i'll use the pedal to slide up an octave and back down, but I prefer the sound of an actual slide. The octave down on it's pretty good too. I've never really played with the harmonies much, i'd prefer to just play the chords.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1272382' date='Jun 17 2011, 08:37 AM']I think the tone from the whammy octave up is a bit thin. I wouldn't use it to try and fill out the sound a-la unibass unless you have a very good distortion pedal to put in the LS-2 loop.[/quote]

I use my M9 for whammy effects, but yeah I tend to blend it with something else, or put something after it to beef it up. I don't think the thin aliased sound of the whammy is very suitable for bass.

Since you've got an LS-2, try the whammy in one side and an analogue octaver in the other side, then you can go nuts with the whammy and always have a bass note going on in parallel. Or try whammy directly into an analogue octaver, which will replace the digital sound of the whammy completely but still give you the pitch shifts. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1272720' date='Jun 17 2011, 01:40 PM']I don't think the thin aliased sound of the whammy is very suitable for bass.[/quote]

when using oct up mode I'v found this myself, which is why i want a looper pedal with a blend knob. why they dont put a blend knob on the whammy i'll never know, but i also kind of like the fact when using the oct up oct down mode you can whack up the treadle for some high pitched crazyness then bring it back down to brown note heaven. or just leave the treadle up and hit the switch on and off.

My biggest gripe with the pedal though is the fact its not true bypass, i'll soon be attempting that mod. its just not cricket.

WHAMMY TIP OF THE DAY -

Calibrate it so its ever so slightly off for some rich oscillations :)

The harmony modes with delay are very nice, especially if you play harmonics, a bit justin chancellor heavy perhaps but very nice all the same. In fact any modes with delay are quite nice, you can get some good soundscapes going with some +1 oct sweeps and a long delay.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1273047' date='Jun 17 2011, 06:41 PM']...you can get some good soundscapes going with some +1 oct sweeps and a long delay.[/quote]

This is exactly what I do. Sometimes i'll just keep it +1 oct and sweep with my volume pedal instead, great for those ambient, whale-like noises for intervals and what not.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1275540' date='Jun 20 2011, 08:34 AM']those sort of "soundscapes" is mostly what i'm using mine for. If you put it in a feedback loop, some of the harmonies it makes are amazing. Mine's an XP-100 but I bet the WH4 is just as good[/quote]

When u say sound scapes? What you happrn to have any clips?

Really like the idea of the ls-2 and the octave pedal i was thinking of grabbing an oc-2 when i get paid if i can afford it, ive only had a quick play but sounds really nice going into my swollen pickle!

But please keep the ideas coming!

Andy

I've attached a file. It's the end of a song i'm working on. You can hear the bass go from distorted to clean, to whammy, then with delay, then it starts to get weird with the feedback.

It's not the best example really but it's all I have access to that's actually recorded.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1280542' date='Jun 24 2011, 09:19 AM']I've attached a file. It's the end of a song i'm working on. You can hear the bass go from distorted to clean, to whammy, then with delay, then it starts to get weird with the feedback.

It's not the best example really but it's all I have access to that's actually recorded.[/quote]

Thats wicked! Really like the whammy with delay. Are you using a volume pedal for the swells at the end?

Andy

I use it for steep climbs and dives along with delay...

Www.ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com - listen to the track 'Neon Tangerine' . It has a very simple structure (Intro, A, B, A, B, A, B, Outro). Each 'B' section uses the 2 octave climb along with delay to create an over lapping trail into the next section...

Shep

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1280542' date='Jun 24 2011, 09:19 AM']I've attached a file. It's the end of a song i'm working on. You can hear the bass go from distorted to clean, to whammy, then with delay, then it starts to get weird with the feedback.

It's not the best example really but it's all I have access to that's actually recorded.[/quote]That's excellent.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1281405' date='Jun 24 2011, 07:37 PM']I use it for steep climbs and dives along with delay...

Www.ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com - listen to the track 'Neon Tangerine' . It has a very simple structure (Intro, A, B, A, B, A, B, Outro). Each 'B' section uses the 2 octave climb along with delay to create an over lapping trail into the next section...

Shep[/quote]

nice! not really my thing but thats def something i can use. to build up or drop down into breakdowns etc

thanks shep

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1281328' date='Jun 24 2011, 06:12 PM']Thats wicked! Really like the whammy with delay. Are you using a volume pedal for the swells at the end?

Andy[/quote]

cheers! No, I just played it like that. I'm going to re-do it with less distortion to try and get a nicer sound.