Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Commando

Count Bassy

A month or so ago I started a thread about my first Markbass experience (in a rehearsal studio) and how I couldn't get a sound I liked.

I've just had the exact opposite in a different rehearsal studio. A Trace Elliot Commando. Put everything flat, deselected the various boost buttons, guitar bass and treble flat and 'Unscooped'. Plugged in, turned on. Perfect. Didn't have to touch a control all night.

Of course the room was also very different in this studio - probably about 5 x 4 metres witha normal height celing, and a bit of eggbox foam on the walls, but I think the different amp must have had something to do with it.

Is this typical of Trace gear?

Trace gear is fantastic, I'm a believer.
The uni practice room (which my band uses weekly) has a markbass head through tc electronics and hartke cabs and I hate it, can never get a sound I like, and that VLE thing butchers my bass sound. Even runnign everything flat or off as necessary and using my sansamp today, I didn't like the sound particularly, just a bit, weak.

I think I've used a Commando at a jam session a long time ago, it was fine but I preferred the 715 combo that's still at the heart of my usual rig. Commandos are pretty cheap to pick up S/H and maybe Trace is a little bit out of vogue at the moment so very good value.

You'll be pleased to hear that the Commando has more than a passing resemblance to the sought after V-type combos! Without being too geeky about the whole thing (please, grab a pillow if you feel your eyelids getting heavy!!) The preamp section of the Commando amp really is a FET (transistor) equivalent of the v-type valve preamp. Same passive tone stack and gain stage layout. I'm not sure about the power amp section, but I think that Trace pretty much uses the same type(s) of design across the range.

I had a V-Type pre for a while, it was ace!

• 3 weeks later...

That's interesting. What bass are you using?

I have a Commando combo from the mid 90's and it's been a great workhorse. It's got passive eq so 'flat' is bass = 0, mids = 10 and treble = 0. I find that settings works pretty well most of the time with the odd tweak depending on the room.

[quote name='CliveT' post='1295616' date='Jul 7 2011, 08:18 AM']That's interesting. What bass are you using?

I have a Commando combo from the mid 90's and it's been a great workhorse. It's got passive eq so 'flat' is bass = 0, mids = 10 and treble = 0. I find that settings works pretty well most of the time with the odd tweak depending on the room.[/quote]

That was with a Fender Urge Mk1 (32" Scale) - Running the bass in active mode but with bass and treble at the mid 'Flat' positions and the main switch in the 'Unscooped' position. Mainly using the Jazz pickups, about 2/3 Bridge, 1/3 neck. But flipping to the 'P' pickup on occasions.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1297917' date='Jul 9 2011, 01:34 AM']That was with a Fender Urge Mk1 (32" Scale) - Running the bass in active mode but with bass and treble at the mid 'Flat' positions and the main switch in the 'Unscooped' position. Mainly using the Jazz pickups, about 2/3 Bridge, 1/3 neck. But flipping to the 'P' pickup on occasions.[/quote]

Here's one on ebay, an early one too - nothing to do with me but they will deliver so got to be worth a punt!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270777519451&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

[quote name='ash' post='1299452' date='Jul 10 2011, 11:43 PM']Here's one on ebay, an early one too - nothing to do with me but they will deliver so got to be worth a punt!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270777519451&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url][/quote]

Sorry but that's not an early model. The early ones had carpet covering and didn't have the large green 12 (or 15 if it had the 15 inch speaker).

[quote name='CliveT' post='1299586' date='Jul 11 2011, 08:24 AM']Sorry but that's not an early model. The early ones had carpet covering and didn't have the large green 12 (or 15 if it had the 15 inch speaker).[/quote]
Oh right, I assumed the tolex ones were earlier editions similar to the AH line of combos, still could be abargain!

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1299615' date='Jul 11 2011, 09:11 AM']I have one of these at home that's carpet covered and in mint condition,no idea of age though,are you interested in buying one?[/quote]

In fact scrap that,I just took this round to a friends to have a bit of a jam and wow,this amp is awesome! I was given this by a guy who is basically a stranger to me who I met at a barbecue and it's possibly the best amp I have ever heard,I haven't really got much experience with trace gear is it all this good?!