whimsy23

I really need to sort my sh*t out! I am using:

OLP MM2

Line 6 G50 wireless system
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
Big Bass Muff Pi
Boss OBD3
Boss DD3
Boss TU2 (easier to hit as a mute button than the ampeg footswitch)
Sansamp BDDI

Ampeg SVTPRO4
Korg rack Tuner

Any suggestions on what order I should use them in? Usually I just go straight into the main input, should I consider sticking some through the effects loop? I'm also thinking of getting a gate pedal, would that go towards the end?

Questions, questions. Help from the more experienced here is always appreciated.

going straight into the input should be fine. You might find you prefer the sound of them in the effects loop, but I doubt it.

Why are you thinking of getting a gate?

Are you using the BDDI as a DI? If so obviously it needs to be last in the chain. Personally i'd have the DD3 after the TU2 as then you get the repeats fading out after you've muted. Other than that, depending on what you're using the synth wah for, it might be better in between the dirt pedals. I'd have the big muff first, then wah, then OD (but you might prefer it the other way around).

Hmm interesting point about the delay.

The gate would be to cut out any hiss from the distortion/fuzz pedals, it wouldn't be a harsh gate (hopefully). I play in a hardcore-ish band so it's all very loud/high gain stuff.

There's a DI out on the SVT so it's either or with the Sansamp, I guess it'd best be late just to be safe as you know what sound guys are like, they'll try and cut your entire set up out if possible.

What I'd do is put the synth wah first,so that it gets the cleanest signal,then your distortions(try them both ways),delay,tuner,Sansamp(for DI purposes). Although I'd probably get rid of the TU2 if I was using a rack tuner,mainly because you're running through an extra pedal,needlessly.

Does the band have two guitarists? If so do you really want a high gain distortion? You might be better having the pedals set with less distortion, which should generaly give you more attack to cut through... in which case you wouldn't need a gate

Personally, I have some high gain sounds that I use my gate for

It might be that with your mute switch you could just hit that at the end of every song to cut out the hiss?

It would be true to say that having a fuzz before an envelope follower restricts the amount of dynamic range affecting the follower. It still sounds good sometimes though. I think You have to try all the combinations to figure out what works for you. Some people like wah before distortion, others like it after, others like the option of both.

Yeah we have one guitarist so even though he's using a 5150 (so badass!), a nice beefy, slightly distorted bass sound compliments it well. I suppose experimenting is the best way but it does make sense to have the digitech and dd3 before the distortions to get cleaner signal.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1270029' date='Jun 15 2011, 04:16 AM']most single-unit stompbox pedals are designed to be used in front of the pre-amp, but there's no hard and fast rule for this. Processors and rack-mount units are most often used between preamp and power amp in the fx loop.[/quote]
I agree. The only pedal to watch for on this that I've found is a wah wah pedal.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1268420' date='Jun 14 2011, 11:26 AM']What I'd do is put the synth wah first,so that it gets the cleanest signal[/quote]
+1 for this. My board runs an OC2 an EHX bass micro synth, these are the first two units in the chain, as they need a clean signal to 'track' better. Have you thought about using the BDDI earlier in the chain to give sound engineers a 'clean' signal (from the BDDI) and a 'dirty' from the Ampeg, or even mic'ed up? This all depends on how fussy FOH engineers are.

Well it looks like I'm going for wah > DD3 > muff > BDDI but now you've thrown that spanner in the works... I might give that a go too. What the sound engineers do varies so much, last couple of gigs have been proper rough and ready, no mics, no bass through the PA, just cranking the amp up! Also had a DI between bass and amp (grr), DI from the amp, and mic'd up (WIN. I often lend my cab to others, sometimes the head too, and it sounds ruddy bloody good whoever is using it with whatever bass!).