Why become a member? ×

Bass Effects for a newbie!!

DeathtoIndie

Hi All, first time poster so be gentle.

Im running a Standard Fender Squire Bass through a Behringer BXL3000 combo amp.

The sound im trying to get is a bit like Blink 182, Bowling for soup etc. That pop/punk sound. (sad, i know)

Any suggestions on how to achieve this? I've fiddled with settings but cant put my finger on it.

Is it worth splashing out on a FX pedal?

Any advice would be great

Also check out my band:

www.facebook.com/deathtoindieuk

What Doddy said, that pop/punk sound relies on a lot of low mid for the balls and a bit of treble for the 'clank', and a Precision with a pick should get you straight into the right ballpark.

If you must go the effects route, I reckon your first stop should be a graphic EQ; it might be that the EQ on the Behringer isn't up to it (haven't used that particular amp, but I'm not a fan of Behringer generally to be honest) - a Boss GEB7 or something similar might be worth a look (or I'm selling an Electroharmonix Bass Metaphors which has a pretty flexible EQ plus a bit of distortion :))

[quote name='Doddy' post='1266522' date='Jun 12 2011, 07:57 PM']A Precision Bass with a pick will get you in the area of that sound. It's not really an
effects thing.[/quote]

Agreed, it's more about tweaking the EQ and playing style than pressing a stompbox.

Hoppus tends to boost the highs, bridge pickup and plastic pick.

I'm not familiar with the songs you're aiming for, but for newbies to fx I always suggest a multi fx box.
The Boss ME-50b that Monckyman mentions is a very good start & can be used at any level of profession.