Why become a member? ×

Output jack on my bass

willyf87

Need some advice. The output jack on my bass appears to be acting up in a strange way in the sense that it's cutting off some of the high end. If i twiddle the cable (I have tried a couple now with the same problem) its seems to come come back. If i wrap the cable around through the strap (as you do ) and wedge it tight it seems to eliminate the problem. I'm assuming the best fix is a new connector but just wanted to know if it could be anything else. If the cable moves around in the socket it makes a pretty nasty crackle. Haven't hand a chance to open it up yet wonder if its a dodgy solder joint. Oh and its a fender mex precision standard.

Not necessarily. If you get an improvement by moving your jack plug about it could be just teh socket has bent loose. If you can get the jack plate & socket out easily try bending the hot pin inwards to improve the "click" of your jack going in (not too much though), the bit the tip of your jack clicks onto.
Do with with a couple of pairs of pliers, if you just use one you risk cracking the insulating layer which will short out (knacker) the jack socket.

Maplins sell stacks of different kinds of jack sockets (Neutriks) for peanuts if needed.

Guitar jacks get a lot of use and they don't last forever. As mentioned above, new sockets cost peanuts and if you can solder it's an easy repair that can make a big difference. If you can't solder then this might be an ideal opportunity to learn - it's not that difficult. But, if you don't fancy it then it shoudn't be too hard to find someone to re-place the socket for you. Ask at your local music shop if you don't know anyone who can do it for you.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1264232' date='Jun 10 2011, 06:29 PM']Not necessarily. If you get an improvement by moving your jack plug about it could be just teh socket has bent loose. If you can get the jack plate & socket out easily try bending the hot pin inwards to improve the "click" of your jack going in (not too much though), the bit the tip of your jack clicks onto.
Do with with a couple of pairs of pliers, if you just use one you risk cracking the insulating layer which will short out (knacker) the jack socket.

Maplins sell stacks of different kinds of jack sockets (Neutriks) for peanuts if needed.[/quote]

Plus, twist a clean (and dry) 'scotchbrite into it by 10mm or so to clean up the inside of the earth sleeve - can make a big difference.

Only works on sockets where the earth contact is made via a solid sleeve. - don't try it where the earth contact is itself a sprung contact.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1264232' date='Jun 10 2011, 06:29 PM']Not necessarily. If you get an improvement by moving your jack plug about it could be just teh socket has bent loose. If you can get the jack plate & socket out easily try bending the hot pin inwards to improve the "click" of your jack going in (not too much though), the bit the tip of your jack clicks onto.

Maplins sell stacks of different kinds of jack sockets (Neutriks) for peanuts if needed.[/quote]

Plus, twist a clean (and dry) 'scotchbrite into it by 10mm or so to clean up the inside of the earth sleeve - can make a big difference.

Only works on sockets where the earth contact is made via a solid sleeve. - don't try it where the earth contact is itself a sprung contact.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1267768' date='Jun 13 2011, 07:26 PM']not something crappy from maplins.[/quote]
Maplins have stacks in by Neutrik, which I've never had any problems with. The last sockets I bought were £1.99 each; still going strong after a lot of use.

With my first bass as a teenager there wasn't a nearby guitar shop, I asked at a TV repair shop if they could solder a switch for me - and they did it for nothing, said it made an interesting change for them.

cheers for all the answers guys!! I opened the bass up last night it all looks fine but the jack contact (if thats what you call it) was looking very straight so I bent it inwards a bit, seems to have done the trick. If I have any more problems I'll straight up replace it.