Why become a member? ×

Just scored a Sandberg Endorsement!

longtimefred

Yo yo!

Just wanted to share my news with the bass brothers and sisters. I recently scored a deal with Sandberg Guitars and they have sorted me out with a bass i totally love and they have put me up on their website as an artist and endorser of the brand!

Well chuffed with this as look who else is on the same page, some real pro players.

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/artists/great-britain"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/artists/great-britain[/url]

Anyhow, just wanted to share that with ya!

next stop....Tech 21 for that sansamp i want :)

Edited by longtimefred

Congrats, what a great brand to get an endorsement with. So out of interest, how do you go about getting one of these, how big do you need to be etc? There are plenty of bands I've never heard of that get endorsements, yours being one of them (though I did just go have a look on your website and I guess I have now), so how big do you need to be for them not to scoff in your face and not even reply to you. Are you guys signed and doing headline european tours, with record sales in the tens of thousands, or not at that stage - just curious :)?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1259557' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:21 PM']Congrats, what a great brand to get an endorsement with. So out of interest, how do you go about getting one of these, how big do you need to be etc? There are plenty of bands I've never heard of that get endorsements, yours being one of them (though I did just go have a look on your website and I guess I have now), so how big do you need to be for them not to scoff in your face and not even reply to you. Are you guys signed and doing headline european tours, with record sales in the tens of thousands, or not at that stage - just curious :)?[/quote]

All you need to do is contact the distributor of Sandberg in the U.K. I contacted Sandberg directly a few months back and they passed my details on to Synergy U.K distribution and offered me a good deal on any custom build I wanted with a really good discount but I decided not to take them up on it just yet. You don't need to be incredibly big; what they want to see is you promoting the Sandberg brand in any way you can and it always helps if you're a touring artist as well so that the brand can make the link to your fan base. As far as I can gather, Sandberg are a good brand to be tied to and offer a good amount of discount, providing you do the best you can to push them.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1259547' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:08 PM']Nice work. Forget the Sansamp, looking at your sig all you really need is the Stella and kebabs to come on board![/quote]

Well you joke, but my mate's band (Sylosis) just had a tour sponsored by Jagermeister!

[quote name='risingson' post='1259573' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:36 PM']All you need to do is contact the distributor of Sandberg in the U.K. I contacted Sandberg directly a few months back and they passed my details on to Synergy U.K distribution and offered me a good deal on any custom build I wanted with a really good discount but I decided not to take them up on it just yet. You don't need to be incredibly big; what they want to see is you promoting the Sandberg brand in any way you can and it always helps if you're a touring artist as well so that the brand can make the link to your fan base. As far as I can gather, Sandberg are a good brand to be tied to and offer a good amount of discount, providing you do the best you can to push them.[/quote]

That's really helpful, looking at some tours soon, so will maybe get onto them when they get confirmed.

I play Thunderbirds for this band, though I can't say I particularly want/need any more from Epiphone, and I think Gibson might be pushing my luck. I'll wear sandberg everything 24/7 if they give me a decent discount :)
Looking to get a Sandberg as the next bass if I can find one at a sensible price, only thing GAS-wise that might dissuade me is a Modulus Quantum V or an all graphite Status, not a fan of their wood things.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1259557' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:21 PM']Congrats, what a great brand to get an endorsement with. So out of interest, how do you go about getting one of these, how big do you need to be etc? There are plenty of bands I've never heard of that get endorsements, yours being one of them (though I did just go have a look on your website and I guess I have now), so how big do you need to be for them not to scoff in your face and not even reply to you. Are you guys signed and doing headline european tours, with record sales in the tens of thousands, or not at that stage - just curious :)?[/quote]

Very good questions...

When i first contacted them they sent a copy of my e mail to Synergy Distribution who sort Sandbergs out in the UK to deal with as they always work through the distro companies. They quite liked what i did and sorted me out with a good deal on a bass, and once they had some good feedback from the guys at Synergy they seemed to start listening.

In my case, LBD (my band) have got quite a good following, our record sales are starting to pick up, our gigs tend to be busy, our YouTube channel is getting thousands of hits and we are generally getting busy with releasing new singles and videos through an indie label which go to iTunes, Amazon, Play HMV etc etc. Our songs appear on covermount magazine CD's over Europe, So you can say we are working as hard as we can do without major support. Shows are a little scarse at the moment but we have some work going on in the pipes to hook up with some booking agencies to get us some proper gigs as they wont touch you until they know you have something that sells, which is hopefully what we have achieved by doing what i have just said.

I wish we were doing headline European tours and selling thousands of records, but we are not quite at that stage yet, i guess they liked what we played and how hard we are working at being successful and were happy to put their name with mine.

I think if i had asked them and i was doing a band that had only a few gigs under our belts and done a little demo EP with no release and no large amounts of public exposure they probably would have told me to f**k off :)

Funny though, years and years ago when i was in a band more like this, i approached Morley pedals and they were more than happy to offer me a deal for trade price on any of their gear and my name in their catalogue, so i guess the acceptance rules change from company to company.

I guess if you dont ask you dont get and i have always been cheeky enough to ask! lol

[quote name='Machines' post='1259681' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:50 PM']The problem I have is as soon as anyone is endorsed, anything they say about their gear is instantly biased - I can't take them as seriously.[/quote]

Perhaps, on a public forum they have to sing it's praises, but in private I'm sure they will be honest. I spoke to a bass player the other day, his band were supporting Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom and Ensiferum (very big metal bands of today for those not in the know). He had played a Sandberg for the set and I asked him if he was getting it on endorsement, and he said that he was endorsed by at least 3 other bass brands, but not sandberg, and yet was still playing that one for the european tour, thereby saying his endorsement basses weren't actually all that.

[quote name='Machines' post='1259681' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:50 PM']The problem I have is as soon as anyone is endorsed, anything they say about their gear is instantly biased - I can't take them as seriously.[/quote]

I understand that and I know I ring GK's bells a lot. It depends on the circumstances of the endorsement though. I bought my first GK stack normally and turned down other endorsement offers because I was happy using the gear that I already had. After that I approached GK and got an endorsement from them.

I understand some people probably get the first endorsement they can then sing from the hilltops about how brilliant the gear is without much thought, but I expect there's probably more people that have endorsements from specific brands because they want to use that gear, not just because it's the first thing they were offered. The fact that someone has an endorsement from a brand should be a recommendation in it's self because it's saying "I like this brand enough to associate me and my band's names with it".

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1259726' date='Jun 7 2011, 02:34 PM']I understand that and I know I ring GK's bells a lot. It depends on the circumstances of the endorsement though. I bought my first GK stack normally and turned down other endorsement offers because I was happy using the gear that I already had. After that I approached GK and got an endorsement from them.

I understand some people probably get the first endorsement they can then sing from the hilltops about how brilliant the gear is without much thought, but I expect there's probably more people that have endorsements from specific brands because they want to use that gear, not just because it's the first thing they were offered. The fact that someone has an endorsement from a brand should be a recommendation in it's self because it's saying "I like this brand enough to associate me and my band's names with it".[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better! When I first received my bass from sandberg I didn't have an endorsement from them and I shouted very loud about how awsome it was, as do most people who hav bought one. The endorsement came after that.

I searched long and hard to find the right bass for me and this was it, did everything and more of what I needed, and for them to recognise me as an artist is brilliant!

Totally agree about the nuggets that will grab anything that is free or cheap and shout about how it's the best thing in the world. They are just wrong and silly.

It's no reflection on other people - just my feelings on it ! I wouldn't ever want to be tied to a certain manufacturer and have to continually praise them to maintain the agreement (and obviously be unable to criticise them in any way).

Then again - i'm hardly top of anyones hit list :).